Mouth ulcer is very common disorder. Cause of mouth ulcers can be any number and many cases they are very painful. If it is not due to infection, then it does not require any antibacterial medicine or any other treatment. Usually there is not harm from them and they clear up itself usually in one or two weeks. Ayurvedic remedies are very good to treat mouth ulcers.
As mouth ulcers are very common and can be managed easily at Home without consulting any Doctor. If it lasts for more than 2-3 weeks, then you should consult a doctor or pharmacist.
How to Diagnose Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcers are commonly occurring inside mouth on tong, cheeks and lips. They can look in different colour like red, white, grey and yellow in colour. There can be several mouth ulcers not just one. Refer pictures to know how they looks
Reasons for mouth ulcer
For many cases reason is unknown for mouth ulcers. But if is returning very frequently then you should keep track of triggers to find out what is causing it. Most common triggers are given below.
- Deficiency of vitamin B complex, this is main reason for mouth ulcer.
- Deficiency of iron
- Constipation and other digestive problems
- Weak immunity
- Consumption of tobacco products (Paan and Guthaka in India)
- Consumption of alcohol
- Consumption of antibiotics
- Damage of mouth cells while eating hard foods and accidently cut inside moth
- After quitting of guthaka chewing and quitting of smoking
- hormonal changes – some women develop mouth ulcers during their monthly period
- eating some foods may also causes this like chocolate, spicy foods, coffee, peanuts, almonds, strawberries, cheese, tomatoes and wheat flour
- toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulphate
Treatments for mouth ulcer
- Drink lot of fresh clean water (Not boiled), water is great source of Vitamin B and it will improve your digestion and remove unwanted elements from body via urine and sweat.
- Use alum with water for gargling twice.
- Apply peppermint on affected area, it will give you great relief.
- Apply iodine on affected area.
- Eat vitamin and mineral enrich vegetable and fruits
- Take vitamin B complex and vitamin C supplements
- Quit chewing tobacco and smoking
- Use any mouth ulcer gel like Smile Ayurvedic mouth ulcer gel. It is very effective. I have used it for very long time after quitting chewing of gutaka (Paan masala). When you quit consumption of tobacco products, mouth ulcer may occur very frequently. But this is temporary and natural process:).
Herbs are also very good to clear up ulcers
1- Guava Leaves:
For treating mouth ulcer sores use fresh Guava leaves. Clean leaves in water carefully and chew few leaves. Keep in mouth for few minutes. Then you may spit. Do it for few times a day. Even you can use Guava Leaf mouthwash to clean your mouth sores.
Guava leaves contain phenolic compounds, isoflavonoids, Gallic acid, catechin, epicathechin, rutin, naringenin, kaempferol. Guava leaf extract has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, hepatoprotective and antioxidant activities due to presence of phenolic compounds.
2- Babool((Acacia arabica)
Chew some fresh Babool leaves to get relief from mouth ulcers. It has astringent, antimicrobial, antiseptic and germicidal activities . Babul as datun and tooth powder is very useful in treating bleeding gums, mouth ulcers and other oral problems.
3- White Gourd
This can treat mouth ulcers, protecting teeth and gums when a mouth gargle of the juice is done regularly.
Ash gourd has nutrition like amino acids, mucins, mineral salts, starch calcium, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin and rich source of vitamin B and C. Phyto-chemical studies on the fruit indicated two triterpenes, alunsenol and mutiflorenol, which have cell stabilizing effects.
Mix mulethi powder in lukewarm water and gargle 4 to 5 times in a day. It has antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective properties.
Leaves are also very effective in treatment of mouth ulcers. Just chew 3-4 leaves and keep in mouth for 2-3 minutes and spit out.
The leaves of hibiscus have anodyne, antidotal, demulcent, expectorant and refrigerant properties. Flowers are used as depurative, febrifuge, pulmonary and stimulant properties. This part is also used in treatment of burns, pectoral and pulmonary complaints, swellings and other skin problems.
6- Cluster Fig(Gular Tree)
Take bark (10 gm) of gular tree and cook in water (400 ml) for few minutes. Add alum (pinch) and filter. Use this water to rinse mouth frequently. This is also very effective in sores due to infection as the tree bark contains phytochemical constituents namely alkaloids, carbohydrates, flavonoids, glycosides, saponins, steroids, tannins, phenols, triterpenoid, fixed oils. The bark lowers the level of blood sugar (hypoglycaemic), kills worms and reduces swelling.
7- Cumin Seeds
Drink cumin tea to get rid of mouth ulcers as It is full of antioxidant, antiseptic, antimicrobial, antispasmodic and branchodialatory properties.
8- Pomegranate Leaves
Wash and clean leaves (20-25 gm) of Anar. Crush, add these in water (400 ml) and cook till volume reduces to one fourth. Filter and gargle. Pomegranate leaves are useful in treating digestive problems, skin problems, low appetite, insomnia and certain other medical conditions. Constituents – Tannins (punicalin and punicafolin) and flavone glycosides including luteolin and apigenin.