Cumin seed does not require any introduction. This is the most used spice after black pepper all over world. This medicinal herb is native to Asia. It is used in food preparation and for the treatment of many illness. Scientific studies has proven positive effect of cumin seeds on digestion.It stimulates pancreatic enzymes flow and thus helps in improved digestion. It has antiseptic, astringent, carminative, antispasmodic, galactogogue, stomachic and stimulant activities. A teaspoon of cumin seeds contain potassium (38 mg), calcium (20 mg), phosphorus (10 mg), magnesium (8 mg) and iron (1.3 mg).
You can use this spice in various ways. Here is a recipe in which cumin is used to prepare a tea which is beneficial in treating digestive, respiratory and urinary problems. Cumin tea has sedative effect and if it is taken at night helps to induce sleep. This tea helps to improve breast milk in lactating mothers and also shrinking of the uterus to normal state.
How to prepare Cumin tea?
- In a pan, take a glass of water.
- Add one teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Bring water to boil.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Filter and drink.
If you are preparing this tea for flu and common cold related symptom then add ginger juice and drink this hot. You may add rock salt or lemon juice to make it more palatable.
Health Benefits of Drinking Cumin Tea
- Antioxidant, antiseptic, antimicrobial, antispasmodic and branchodialatory properties
- Tonic for the digestive system
- Treats digestive system related problems such as gas, pain, indigestion
- Treats common cold, cough and sore throat
- Diuretic, cures urinary problem
- Cleans kidney and bladder
- Sedative, induce sleep
- Reduces body pain
- Heals mouth ulcers
In last weeks of pregnancy this tea helps to prepare body for labour and easy delivery