Table of Contents
- 1 Ayurvedic Action of Himalaya Herbolax
- 2 Biomedical Action of Himalaya Herbolax
- 3 Benefits of Himalaya Herbolax
- 4 Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Herbolax
- 5 Dosage of Himalaya Herbolax
Himalaya Herbolax tablet is proprietary medicine from Himalaya Drug Company. It is Herbal combination having Laxative action and hence given the name Herbolax.
Herbolax is prepared from various medicinal herbs known for their laxative, purgative, and digestion improving properties. This medicine is indicated in constipation. It is a safe herbal combination with no known side-effect.
Herbolax is contraindicated in pregnancy and diarrhea. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer / Brand: Himalaya Drug Company
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Herbal Medicine based on Ayurvedic principle
- Main action: Gentle bowel regulator
- Main Indication: Constipation
- MRP/Price: Himalaya Herbolax 100 tablets @ MRP Rs. 100.00
Himalaya Herbolax Constituents
In each capsule
Ext | Extracts:
- Trivrit Operculina turpethum 70 mg
- Haritaki Terminalia Chebula 50 mg
- Kasani Cichorium Intybus 50 mg
- Kasmard Cassia Occidentalis 50 mg
- Kakamachi Solanum Nigrum 40 mg
- Liquorice Glycyrrhiza Glabra 40 mg
Pdr | Powders:
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale 45 mg
- Vaividang Embelia Ribes 10 mg
Know the Ingredients of Himalaya Herbolax
Turbud / Nisoth / OPERCULlNA (Operculina turpethum, Synonym Ipomoea turpethum R. Br.) is a mild laxative that treats constipation. It is traditionally used to treat skin diseases, sores, boils, itches, diarrhoea, piles, dyspepsia, rheumatism, gout, vomiting, biliousness, urinary diseases such as strangury, dysuria, stones in the bladder, diseases of the spleen and all ailments due to excessive indulgence in alcohol.
Contraindications of Operculina turpethum: It is should not be used in pregnancy, in children below 12 years of age, in elderly, in physically or mentally weaker persons, and in persons suffering from diarrhea, bleeding per rectum, rectal prolapse, or fecal incontinence. Overdose of Operculina may lead to serious complications such as loose motions, bleeding per rectum, vomiting, abdominal pain, chest pain, dehydration, hypotension, vertigo, confusion, shock, and unconsciousness.
Haritaki / Harad / Halelaa siyaah or Chebulic Myrobalan, is used in treatment of for digestive weakness, oedema, dermatosis, urinary diseases, irregular fever and as a blood purifier. It has laxative activity.
Contraindications of Chebulic Myrobalan: Haritaki should not be taken in acute coughs, acute diarrhea, and early stage dysentery.
Cichorium intyhus Linn., family Asteraceae, is commonly known as Chicory or Kasni. It has cardiotonic, anti-inflammatory, digestive, stomachic, liver tonic and diuretic action. The seeds, roots and flowers are used for medicinal purpose. Kasni is thermogenic, anti-inflammatory, appetizer, digestive, stomachic, cholagogue, depurative, diuretic, emmenagogue, febrifuge, alexeteric and tonic. It is useful in vitiated conditions of kapha and pitta, cephalalgia, hepatomegaly, inflammations, anorexia, dyspepsia, flatulence, colic, gout, burning sensation, allergic conditions of skin, insomnia, jaundice, skin disease, leprosy, chronic and bilious fevers, vomiting, asthma and general debility.
Dry ginger is called Shunthi. It tastes pungent (Rasa and Vipaka) and hot in effect (Virya). It gives relief in Vata and Kapha and increases pitta. It is carminative, antiemetic and thermogenic. It is useful in indigestion, low appetite, nausea and piles. It promotes good voice. It cures vibandha (constipation), anaha (obstruction to the movement of wind in the stomach) and shula (colic pain).
Cassia occidentalis is known as Kasamarda in Ayurveda Kasaondi (Kasundi) in Unani and Paeyaavarai, Thagarai in Siddha. In Sanskrit, meaning of Kasa is cough or phlegm and mardan means to destroy. So one which destroys Kasa is called Kasamarda. As this plant possess expectorant properties, and is effective against cough, asthma and other respiratpry ailments it is given the name Kasamarda and Kasari. It cleanses the throat, purifies the blood and improves the digestion.
Solanum nigrum commonly known as Makoi or black nightshade contains various phytochemicals such as glycoalkaloids, glycoproteins, polysaccharides, polyphenolic compounds such as gallic acid, catechin, protocatechuic acid (PCA), caffeic acid, epicatechin, rutin, and naringenin.
It has antitumorigenic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, diuretic, and antipyretic properties.
Mulethi or Liquorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is extensively used in Ayurveda. It relieves coughs, sore throats, respiratory problems, abdominal pain and hyperacidity. It is used to prepare cough remedies, skin preparations, and in combination with other plants for the treatment of ulcer.
Contraindications of Liquorice: It should not be used in high blood pressure, fluid retention, diabetes and certain other conditions.
Vidang / Embelia ribes Burm / false black pepper, is a medicinal plant with anthelmintic (Krimighna), ascaricidal (kills roundworm), carminative, antibacterial, antibiotic, hypoglycemic, antifertility, antibacterial and febrifuge properties. It is the main herb used in Ayurveda for treatment of intestinal parasites. It is useful in all abdominal disorders, constipation, gas, indigestion, piles etc.
Vidanga has carminative and hepatoprotective activity. It is anthelmintic, astringent, alterative and tonic.
Ayurvedic Action of Himalaya Herbolax
- Amanashak: Destroys toxins or Ama.
- Anlomna: Anulomna means one which promote excretions and favour discharge.
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite.
- Virechak: Laxative.
Biomedical Action of Himalaya Herbolax
- Anthelmintic: Antiparasitic, expel parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate evacuation of the bowels.
- Stomachic: Stimulates gastric activity.
Benefits of Himalaya Herbolax
- It softens the stool and enhance intestinal motility.
- It gives relief in acute and chronic constipation effectively.
- It does not upset the fluid-electrolyte balance in the body.
- It has carminative action and treats indigestion and stimulates the gastrointestinal tract.
- It is 100% vegetarian.
- It is free from sugar, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives, and gelatin.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Herbolax
Herbolax is completely natural laxative which helps in stool softening and increasing intestinal movement. This helps in treating chronic and acute constipation without habit forming.
All herbs used in this medicine formulation are well known for their effect on bowel regulation.
- Acute Constipation
- Chronic Constipation
Dosage of Himalaya Herbolax
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 2 to 3 capsules.
- It should be taken after dinner with lukewarm water.
- The dosage may vary from person to person depending on constipation.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is a mild laxative.
- Do not take in diarrhea.
- It should not be taken during pregnancy as it is a hot in potency and has purgative effect.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Pure Herbs are recommended for children ages 14 and above.
- Health risks or side effects following the proper administration of designated therapeutic dosages are not recorded.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- It may or may not work for your condition. There are several factors on which effectivity of an herbal medicine depends such as underlying medical condition, duration of diseases, age, health etc.