Indigestion is a condition in which pain or discomfort in the stomach associated with difficulty in digesting food. This condition can be treated very effectively with Ayurvedic medicines and herbs.
List of Ayurvedic medicines to Treat Indigestion
1) Mustakarishtam is a herbal Ayurvedic medicine prepared from Motha, Dhataki-pushpa, carom seeds, dry ginger powder, black pepper, cloves, fenugreek seeds, Chitrak, old jaggery etc. It is a general tonic useful in dyspepsia, digestive weakness, vomiting, dysentery, and diarrhea.
Dosage and administration: 10-20 ml three times a day for 3-7 days
2) Jamani Arka
3) Lavangadi Vati is hot in potency and commonly used to treat cold, cough, congestion, asthma, bronchitis, sore throat and indigestion.
Dosage and administration: 250 mg twotimes a day for 3-7 days
4) Agnikumar Ras is referenced from Ayurvedic treatise Bhaishajya Ratnavali. Agnikumar Ras is shows beneficial effect in indigestion, malabsorption, constipation that occur due to weakness of digestive fire. Its intake gives relief in heaviness in abdominal region, gas, accumulation of stool inside intestine, loose motions etc.
Dosage and administration: 500 mg 2 times a day with honey or lukewarm water for 3-7 days.
Herbs to Treat Indigestion
1) Ginger is warming in nature. Its oral intake reduces vata/wind, kapha/mucous and increases pitta/bile. It works on all tissues of body. It stimulates digestive system and kindles digestive fire. It has expectorant action. Its ayurvedic properties and action are given below.
Ginger stimulates digestive enzymes secretion. It also relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract and helps in removal of toxins from body. Drinking ginger tea in condition of excessive gas, indigestion and flatulence is very helpful. Sunthi can be taken in dose of 2-4 grams a day to cure indigestion.
2) Long pepper is used to treat a variety of conditions like asthma, bronchitis, cough, digestive disorders, enlargement of the spleen. Pippali is a very effective medicine in treatment of Amavata. Amavata is rheumatoid arthritis. Ayurveda says the reason for this disease is formation of Ama (toxins) in the body due to impaired digestion, followed by vitiation of all dosha i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
The method is, long pepper powder is given in dose of 1 gm, twice a day on first day. It is increased by 1 g daily up to a maximum dose of 5 g twice a day. The maximum dose 5 g, is given for 5 days and then it is decreased by 1 g daily to a dose of 1 g twice a day. Total duration of the treatment is 15 days.