Wet dreams are known as nocturnal emissions in medical term. It can be defined as an involuntary ejaculation of semen during sleep. Nocturnal emissions are often related to erotic dreams. Such dreams are very common during teenage or adolescence (period following the onset of puberty during which a young person develops from a child into an adult) due to hormonal changes in body. At this point of life young males can have erections at all different times of the day. It can be understood as part of growing up. There can be large numbers of nocturnal emissions in teen age and early adult years. Also if the person is not involved in any sexual activity, then this is the way body discharges semen naturally. One should not feel any guilt about it.
If nocturnal emissions happens during a period of 21-30 days then this is completely normal and there is no need to worry. But if they are occurring twice a week or more and show certain with symptoms like dizziness, weakness, sleep disturbance etc. They are considered abnormal.
Sex dreams, Night discharge, Wet dreams, Swapna dosh, Night Fall
Useful Home Herbal Remedies
In Ayurveda, nocturnal emissions are considered because of excess heat, general weakness, weakness of nerves, constipation and thinking too much about sex. To cure this health problem one should try to improve overall health. This can be done by eating healthy food and avoiding unhealthy foods. It is important to treat digestive disorders and chronic constipation. One should try to reduce excessive heat inside body by using cooling food/herbs.
- It is very important to eat light dinner which is easy to digest and does not produce gas. Also if one has impaired digestion and constipation then first these health issues should be cured.
- Chronic constipation can be cured by eating more salad and taking some Ayurvedic medicines such as Triphala powder. Triphala powder is combination of three fruits in dried powder form viz. Amla, Haritaki and Vibhitaki. Five grams Triphala should be taken with lukewarm water before going to bed. The best thing about Triphala is that it is non-habit forming laxative. Senna leaves which is an essential ingredient of many OTC herbal laxative is habit-forming. Your body may get dependent on habit forming laxative for motion.
- Drinking one glass of milk mixed with four grams shital chini/kabab chini (Piper cubeba) is helpful.
- Milk added with (Haldi wala doodh) should be taken before sleep.
- Turmeric and Sesame seeds powder should be mixed in equal amount and taken in dosage of three grams.
- Isabgol bhusi or Psyllium husk should be taken with milk at night. This should be taken continuously for 1-2 months.
- The latex of Bad/Bargad/banyan should be taken with batasha (a sweet preparation made with sugar) every morning.
- A powder prepared by mixing equal amount of Shatavari, Safed Musli, Talamkhana, and Gokharu should be taken in dose of four grams with milk.
- Prepare a powder by taking ten grams each Ashwagandha, Shatavar, Vidari (Pueraria Tuberosa), and thirty grams Sugar/Mishri. Grind all the herbal ingredients, add sugar powder and mix well. This powder should be taken in dose of 2 grams.
- Taking Ashwagandha churna with milk is also helpful.
- Prepare a home-made powder by mixing Gokhru, Giloy and Amla in equal amount and take in dose of 3 grams by mixing with ghee and sugar twice a day.
- Eating Gulkand 10 grams is an effective remedy for constipation, heat in body and wet dreams.
- Drink plenty of water.
- If you are underweight, then try to improve it by having healthy diet.
- When a person is trying to cure nocturnal emission he must avoid watching Adult TV or movie content. Read good books, and do deep breathing exercise. Divert your attention.
Like any other health ailments there are certain foods that helps to cure the condition but some aggravates the problem. List of such food items are given below.
Foods to avoid
- Meat, eggs, fish, Alcohol
- Very spicy food
- Eggplant, dry fruits such as Pine nuts/Chilgoje, walnuts/akhrot
- Sour food items, Chaat, Chutney
- Food items that are hot in potency and acidic in nature
- Excessive intake of tea, coffee, caffeine and junk food
- All other food items that are used to increase arousal
Food to eat
- Light and easily digestible foods
- Light dinner, with salad
- Cow milk, curd, Methi daana/Fenugreek seeds
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Rice, Daal, Soups, Khichdi
Regular exercise is helpful as it improves digestion, assimilation and cures constipation. It also helps to get sound sleep.
One should regularly do deep breathing or Pranayam. It provides loads of fresh oxygen to mind and gives calm.
Bhujang asan, Vajra asna, Padma asna, Surya Namaskaar and Sarvangasan not only helps in wet dreams but also improves general health.