Table of Contents
- 1 Shatavari Kalpa Composition
- 2 Ayurvedic Action of Shatavari Kalpa
- 3 Biomedical Action of Shatavari Kalpa
- 4 Shatavari Kalpa Health Benefits
- 5 Shatavari Kalpa Therapeutic Uses
- 6 Shatavari Kalpa Dosage
- 7 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- 8 Pharmacies Making Shatavari Kalpa
Shatavari Kalpa, is herbal Ayurvedic medicine used to treat weakness, fatigue, and low breast milk. Breast feeding is boon for the baby and offers many health benefits. Mother’s milk contains right balance of nutrients to help the infant to grow physically and mentally. It is easy to digest and protects the baby against some common childhood illnesses and infections. Every mother should try to give her baby breast milk for at least the first six months of life.Shatavari Kalpa is generally used after delivery to improve overall health of new mother. It can be taken for few months. Shatavari Kalp gives energy, nourishment to body and balances Pitta and Vata Dosha.
Shatavari Kalpa can be used by complete family as a tonic. It improves body immunity to fight diseases and reduces heat inside body. It can be taken by women of all age groups and in menstruation, pregnancy and postnatal period.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonyms: Shatavari Kalpa Granules
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Improving breast milk
- Suitable for: Women
- Dosha Effect: Reduces Vata and Pitta
Shatavari Kalpa Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
In each 10 gm:
- Shatavar Asparagus racemosus root 4 g
- Ela Elettaria cardamomum 0.05 g
- Sharkara Sugar 5.95 g
Asparagus racemosus (Wild Asparagus) is known as Shatavar or Shatavari. The fascicled tuberous roots of plant are of medicinal importance.
The roots are dried after harvesting and may be boiled, peeled and cut into pieces. The dried roots are then ground to make a powder (Shatavri Churna) which is used alone or with other ingredients. Shatavar contains saponins, steroidal glycosides and aglycones, flavonoids including quercetin, rutin and hyperoside, alkaloids and mucilage.
Shatavar is a renowned tonic for the female reproductive system. It is a uterine tonic and regulates the periods. Shatavari is very useful in menopausal symptoms with hot flushes, irritability, irregular memory and dryness.
According to Ayurveda, Shatavari is heavy, cold, bitter, nutritive; it relieves vata and pitta and is a Rasayana.
- Taste/Rasa: sweet/madhur, bitter/tikta
- Potency/Veerya: cold/sheeta
- Quality/Guna: heavy/guru, unctous/snigdha
- Post digestive/Vipak: sweet/madhur
- Dosha: Reduces Vata and Pitta and increases Kapha
- Tissue/Dhatu: all tissues
Shatavar is galactagogic, antispasmodic, nervine, antiinflammatory, demulcent, cooling, diuretic, general tonic, expectorant, antibacterial, antitumour and antacid. It is nourishing, soothing, lubricating and is useful in conditions when the diseases are due to excess heat inside body.
Shatavari’s main action is on the female reproductive tract. It has phyto-estrogenic effect and supports lactation. It nourishes Rasa dhatu and improves milk flow and quantity.
Shatavar use is contraindicated in acute lung congestion, high kapha, low digestive fire and high Ama.
While taking Shatavar one should avoid, any activity which generates body heat, eating non-vegetarian or heavy food, hot potency food items, tobacco, sleeping during the day, excessive work, sexual intercourse and exercise.
Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. Elettaria cardamomum seeds are aromatic and used for appetizing property in various food preparations. Medicinally, it has anti-emetic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-spasmodic, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, cooling, stimulant, carminative, digestive, stomachic, Tridoshahara, nutritive, laxative, expectorant and appetizing properties. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
Chewing of cardamom seeds helps in many common ailments of the digestive system. Cardamom seeds Powder is used alone in treatment of symptoms resulting from excess heat or acidity in the body system. When mixed with other ingredients it shows enhanced effects in treating vomiting, loss of appetite, indigestion, gastric irritation, nausea, burning sensation, thirst, giddiness, burning urination, bad smell from mouth etc.
The recommended dosage of Cardamom seed powder is 250 milligrams to 500 milligrams (about 3-4 pinches), for adults and 60-120 mg for children, two to three times a day with a little warm water or honey.
Sugar has demulcent and cooling action. It increases weight and gives energy. It reduces Vata/wind inside body. It improves the taste of medicine.
Ayurvedic Action of Shatavari Kalpa
Stanya janana: These herbs can increase lactation; e.g. fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) and shatavari (Asparagus racemosus).
Brmhaniya: These are nourishing herbs that are full of the water element.
Biomedical Action of Shatavari Kalpa
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Estrogenic: Shatavar contains estrogenic compound or phytoestrogen and hence balance estrogen levels, stop bleeding, and support the restoration of the endometrium. Phytoestrogens are a naturally-occurring plant nutrient that exerts an estrogen-like action on the body. They are structurally and/or functionally similar to mammalian estrogens and their active metabolites.
- Galactagogue: Promotes lactation in humans and other animals.
Shatavari Kalpa Health Benefits
- It enhances immunity.
- It nourishes saptadhatus.
- It is Medhya, Pittashamak, Rasayan, Shukravardhak and Netrya. It improves general health due to tonic action.
- It supports lactation.
- It gives nutrition to the lactating mother.
- It improves the quality and quantity of breast milk without any adverse effects.
- It can be used safely for long-term.
Shatavari Kalpa Therapeutic Uses
- This medicine is indicated in Inadequate lactation. Inadequate lactation is the production of less milk than is needed for breastfeeding a child.
- Abnormal bleeding from vagina | Raktapradar
- Abortion | Garbhapata
- After delivery as Galactagogue
- Bleeding disorder | Raktapitta
- During pregnancy
- Gastric ulcers
- Irregular menses
- Physical & mental debility
- Uterus discharges | Garbhasrava
Shatavari Kalpa Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1-2 teaspoon.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with milk.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- It should not be taken during diabetes due to sugar content.
- It is better to be taken after delivery.
- Breastfeeding women should consume a variety of foods in moderation.
- Strict dieting or skipping meals is not recommended. While breastfeeding, it is best to lose the extra weight gradually, a loss of up to about 0.5 kilogram per week is suggested.
- Avoid non-vegetarian foods.
- Avoid smoking, tobacco chewing and alcohol during lactating period. Nicotine affects prolactin release in response to a sucking stimulus and smoking mothers may have decreased milk yield.
- It has no known drug interaction.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interation, if any.
- Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of same disease.
Pharmacies Making Shatavari Kalpa
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Shatavari Granules (KALPA) Price 500 gram @ Rs 340.00
- SDL Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited SDL Shatavari Kalpa
- Ayurved Arkashala Shatavari Kalpa Rs. ₹170.00
- Omkar Ayurved Mandir Shatavari Kalpa
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.