Table of Contents
- 1 What is Shilajit?
- 2 Shilajit Capsule Composition
- 3 Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Shilajit Capsule
- 4 Shilajit Capsule Ayurvedic Actions
- 5 Biomedical Action Of Shilajit Capsule
- 6 Shilajit Capsule Health Benefits
- 7 Shilajeet Capsule Therapeutic Uses
- 8 Shilajeet Capsule Dosage
- 9 Pharmacies Making Shilajeet Capsule
- 10 Common questions About Shilajeet
Shilajit Capsule is an Ayurvedic medicine containing dry extract of Shuddha Shilajit. Shuddha Shilajit refers to purified Shilajit devoid of any impurity.
Shilajit Capsule is anti-aging, Medhya Rasayan, Yogavahi (enhancer of other drugs), antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, aphrodisiac, adaptogen, and immunomodulator. It shows the effect on everybody organ and cures a wide variety of diseases. Shilajit Capsule increases strength, stamina, vigour, relieve stress, improve brain functioning, slow aging, maintain youthfulness and boost fertility. It is especially beneficial for males as it increases the testosterone level and improves the quality and quantity of sperms.
What is Shilajit?
Shilajit is a mineral pitch. It is the exudation of a bituminous substance from the rocks of Himalaya. It is also found in the Caucasus Mountains, Altai Mountains, and other Asian mountains. It is said to carry the healing power of these great mountains. It is a highly condensed mineral and amino acids source. It gives physical, mental and sexual power. The literal meaning of word Shilajit is ‘conqueror of rock’. Another meaning is ‘sweat of the rock’.
Shilajeet is a natural substance but it is not an animal or plant-based product. It is a mineral pitch that oozes from the rocks of the Himalayas. In summer when the rocks are warmed this mineral comes out from them. In Gangotri, it drips from the rocks. Shilajit contains more than 80 minerals and used in Ayurveda for medicinal purpose. According to Ayurvedic texts, there is no disease in the world which cannot be treated by Shilajit if given by the administrator properly with other drugs. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Synonyms: Asphaltum Punjabianum, Black Asphaltum, Girij, Mineral Pitch, Mineral Wax, Momia, Mumijo, Ozokerite, Shilajitu, Silajit, Shilajeet
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: General Tonic, Youthfulness, Vigour
- Part Used: The oozing from the rocks
- Energetics: Pungent, bitter, hot-pungent VPK=, P+ in excess
- Tissues: All
- Systems: All, especially the urinary and nervous
- Action: Alterative, diuretic, lithotriptic, antiseptic, rejuvenative
- Dabur Shilajit 30 capsule Price: Rs. 195
- Baidyanath Shilajit 30 capsule Price: Rs. 185
Shilajit Capsule Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
Baidyanath Shodhit Shilajit Capsule contains:
- Shuddha Shilajit 300mg
Each Dabur Shilajit Capsule contains:
- Extract of 500 mg of raw Shilajit
Shilajit consists of 60-80% organic matter, 20-40% mineral matter and 5% of trace elements. It has been reported to contain a number of components including benzoic acid, hippuric acid, fatty acids, resin, and waxy materials, gums, albuminoids, and vegetable matter with benzoic acid.
Extensive research in the eighties showed that the major organic mass of Shilajit comprised of hummus (60-80%) along with other components such as benzoic acid, hippuric acid, fatty acid, ichthyol, ellagic acid, resin, triterpenes, sterol, aromatic carboxylic acid, 3, 4-benzocoimiarins, amino acids, and phenolic lipids. Silica, iron, antimony, calcium, copper, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorus, sodium and zinc are also present in Shilajit.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Shilajit Capsule
Shilajit is considered astringent, bitter and pungent in taste (Rasa), pungent after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kasaya (Astringent), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Qualities): Guru (Heavy)
- Virya (Potency): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Dhatu (tissue): All the tissues.
- Srotas (Channel): Urinary, nervous, and reproductive
Shilajit Capsule Ayurvedic Actions
- Balya: Increase the strength of the body.
- Chedana: Removes the accumulated and adhered Kapha, etc. Doshas from its own active principle (prabhava).
- Jeevaneeya: beneficial for and maintain life in a sound condition.
- Kapha-Vata har: Remover of the Humor of Kapha-Vata.
- Rasayana: Gives long life, heightened memory and intelligence, freedom from disease, youth, the excellence of luster, complexion, and of voice, optimum strength of the body and senses, utterances that always get fulfilled, the reverence of people, body glow.
- Sarvadoshahara: kills all diseases.
- Shothagna: Reduces swelling and inflammation.
- Tridoshahara: Corrects the imbalance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
- Vajikarak: Aphrodisiac are medicines which increase sexual power.
- Yogavahi: that which retains its own virtue and at the same time increases the virtues of the dravyas with which it comes in contact is known as Yogavahi.
Biomedical Action Of Shilajit Capsule
- Alterative: alters the morbid or unhealthy processes of nutrition and excretion and restores the normal functioning.
- Anti-allergic: prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Anti-diabetic: Blood sugar lowering
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antiseptic: prevent or retard the growth of micro-organisms.
- Anti-stress, an anti-anxiety: reduces stress.
- Anti-ulcerogenic: prevents the formation of the ulcer by reducing gastric acid secretion.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulating or increasing the sexual appetite, passion and virile power.
- Diuretic: stimulates urine production.
- Immunity-boosting: Increases immunity.
- Immunomodulatory: modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Lithotriptic: possess the power of dissolving various concretions in the body.
- Nootropic: Learning augmenting.
- Nutritive Tonic.
- Rejuvenative: to make young again, restore to youthful vigor, appearance, etc.
- Spermatogenic and Ovogenic.
Shilajit Capsule Health Benefits
- It boosts male fertility.
- It cures sexual debility.
- It gives strength to the body and mind and supports better functioning of organs.
- It has antioxidantand antiaging properties.
- It helps in physical and sexual weakness.
- It helps in treating male sexual disorders such as erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, lack of sexual desire, ejaculatory incompetence, impotence, and infertility.
- It improves body immunity.
- It improves overall health.
- It improves spermatogenesis and increases sperm count.
- It improves vitality and libido.
- It is a powerful adaptogen (help the body adapt to stress).
- It is especially useful in diabetes and male sexual disorders.
- It is a rejuvenating tonic.
Shilajeet Capsule Therapeutic Uses
- Bronchial disorders
- Chronic bronchitis
- Consumption (Kshaya)
- Enlarged spleen and the liver
- General weakness
- Genito-urinary diseases
- Improving the testosterone level
- Joint pain, rheumatism, arthritis
- Low sperm count
- Male sexual disorders premature ejaculation, lack of sexual desire, ejaculatory incompetence, impotence, and infertility
- Nervous diseases
- Renal stone
- Sexual Weakness
- Skin diseases
- Tuberculosis (Rajayakshama)
Shilajeet Capsule Dosage
- Shilajeet Capsule is given in a dose of 1-2 capsules.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with milk.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
It is safe to use Shilajit in the recommended dosage. Study shows it is quite safe up to a dose of 3 g/kg in mice.
The dosage is dependent on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours.
- In excess, it increases Pitta.
- It should not be used in the high uric acid count.
- It should not be used in febrile diseases.
- It should not be used with a heavy diet.
- It should be taken in conjunction with a milk diet.
- Avoid physical exercise, exposure to sun rays and wind while taking Shilajit.
- The ill effects of Silajit are cured by taking Kali Mirch and Ghee, in a dose of 3 grams for seven days.
- Do not use fried, roasted, sour, fermented foods, kuatha/Kulthi Dal and Kakamachi (Solanum nigrum) for the period Shilajit remains in the body.
- Although Shilajit is used to treat kidney stones, use caution if the stones are made of uric acid or if uric acid crystals are in the urine as uric acid increases with the administration of Shilajit. For this same reason, Shilajit is contraindicated in gouty arthritis.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
- Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
- Always buy Ayurvedic medicine form good pharmacy and genuine stores. Beware of fake/inferior quality products.
Pharmacies Making Shilajeet Capsule
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Shilajit Capsule
- Dabur Shilajit 100 Capsules
- Patanjali Shilajit Capsule
- Novel Shilajit Asphaltum Capsules Dietary supplement
- Dindayal Shilajit Power
- Dhanvantari Shilajit Capsule
- Morpheme Remedies Shilajit
- Ayurleaf Shilajit Original
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Common questions About Shilajeet
1- Can I take Shilajit with other Ayurvedic herbs?
Yes. Shilajit is taken with other herbs and ingredients depending on the ailments.
Few Combinations can be:
- Anemia: Shilajit With Amalki, Ginger, Shatavari.
- Diabetes: Shilajit With Giloy, Gurmar, Turmeric, Neem, Karela, Daruhaldi.
- Female Reproductive Conditions: Shilajit With Shatavari, Licorice.
- Male Reproductive Problems: Shilajit With Ashwagandha, Gokshura, Kaunch.
- Obesity: Shilajit With Guggulu, Triphala, Trikatu, Triphala Guggulu, Chitrak, Punarnava, Kutki.
- Oedema: Shilajit With Punarnava, Guggulu.
- Painful Urination: Shilajit With Gokshura, Coriander, Punarnava.
- Prostatitis: Shilajit With Gokshura, Guggulu.
- Urinary Stones: Shilajit With Gokshura, Bhumiamalaki, Manjistha.
2- What are the main contraindications for Shilajit?
It should not be taken in the high uric acid levels, kidney stones of uric acid, and gout.
Heavy and hot potency food items should not be taken while taking Shilajit.
3- What drug interaction can take place?
There is no known drug interaction.
4- What are the advantages of Shilajit?
Shilajit contains fulvic acid along with minerals. Fulvic acid helps in the transportation of minerals into cells for maintaining and restoring their electrical potency, which prevents cell decay and death. Shilajit helps in metabolism and promotes energy production in the body. It maintains an equilibrium of catabolism and anabolism. It helps in the formation of blood and proper functioning of the body organs.
5- Can Shilajit cause acidity?
Though Shilajit balances Vata-Pitta and Kapha, when taken in excess it increases Pitta and hence it may cause acidity or burning sensation.
6- Can I use Shilajit during Pregnancy?
There are no safety studies involving Shilajit use in pregnant and/or lactating women is done. Please note,
- Shilajit is hot in potency.
- It has fat reducing qualities.
- It has a scraping effect on the fat tissues.
- Therefore, it is advisable not to use Shilajit during pregnancy.
7- Can I use Shilajit in Diabetes?
Yes. Shilajit is known to reduce blood sugar level. Please do check the blood sugar level frequently to avoid hypoglycemia.
8- What are the benefits of Shilajit Capsules for Men?
Shilajit strengthens the whole male reproductive system. It is a tonic to the sex organs. It is useful in the treatment of premature ejaculation, spermatorrhoea, impotence, and spermaturia. It increases testosterone levels.
In a scientific study, 60 infertile male patients having total sperm counts below 20 million ml (-1) semen were considered oligospermic and enrolled in the study. For the treatment Shilajit capsule (100 mg) was administered twice daily after major meals for 90 days.
Total semenogram and serum testosterone, luteinising hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone were estimated before and at the end of the treatment. Malondialdehyde (MDA), a marker for oxidative stress, the content of semen and biochemical parameters for safety were also evaluated.
Twenty-eight patients who completed the treatment showed significant improvement in spermia (+37.6%), total sperm count (+61.4%), motility (12.4-17.4% after different time intervals), normal sperm count (+18.9%) with a concomitant decrease in pus and epithelial cell count compared with the baseline value. Significant decrease in semen MDA content (-18.7%) was observed.
Moreover, serum testosterone (+23.5%) and FSH (+9.4%) levels significantly increased. In men, FSH stimulates the production of sperm.
Unaltered hepatic and renal profiles of patients indicated that Shilajit is safe at the given dose. These findings provide further evidence of the spermatogenic nature of Shilajit.
9- What are the benefits of Shilajit Capsules for females?
Shilajit has an affinity for reproductive organs and it strengthens the whole reproductive system. It helps female by treating the weakness, infertility, dysmenorrhea and low energy. It increases FSH Follicle-Stimulating Hormone, a hormone released by the pituitary gland, located on the underside of the brain. In women, FSH helps manage the menstrual cycle and stimulates the ovaries to produce eggs.
10- How long should Shilajit be taken for maximum benefit?
Shilajit needs to be taken for two-three months to attain maximum benefit.
11- Is Shilajit diuretic?
Shilajit is mild diuretic in action and helps to remove the excess fluid from the lungs as well as the body.
12- Is Shilajit Ulcer protective?
Shilajit increases the carbohydrate/protein ratio and decreases the gastric ulcer index. The fulvic acid and 4-methoxy 6-carbomethoxybiphenyl present in Shilajit decrease acid-pepsin secretion, cell shedding, and act as ulcer protectives.
13- What is the recommended dose of Shilajit?
The recommended dose of Shilajit for maintenance of optimal health is 2–3 pills three times per day or 500mg–5g per day.