Table of Contents
- 1 Shankhpushpi Syrup Composition
- 2 Know the Ingredients of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- 3 Ayurvedic Action of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- 4 Biomedical Action of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- 5 Shankhpushpi Syrup Health Benefits
- 6 Shankhpushpi Syrup Therapeutic Uses
- 7 Shankhpushpi Syrup Dosage
- 8 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- 9 Pharmacies Making Shankhpushpi Syrup
Shankhpushpi Syrup is a herbal Ayurvedic medicine containing Shankhapushpi and Brahmi as the major ingredients. Both the herbs are traditionally described to improve learning, concentration, grasping power and recall ability.
Shankhpushpi Syrup is a Medya Rasayana and used as a brain tonic. It improves mental powers and helps in various nervous diseases like insomnia, depression and high blood pressure.
Regular use of this medicine for 3 or more months helps to improve concentration, focus, memory power and alertness. This Ayurvedic syrup is very beneficial for school going children who are always at stress to perform better in their exams.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Manufacturer: It is manufactured by many Ayurvedic Pharmacies
- Synonyms: Shankha Pushpi Syrup
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Herbal Ayurvedic Medicine
- Main Indication: Improving brain function
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, nerve, reproductive
- Srotas (channel): Nervous, mental, excretory, reproductive
- Safety Profile: Very safe, no known side-effects
- Contraindications: Pregnancy, Diabetes
Shankhpushpi Syrup Composition
This medicine is manufactured by many pharmacies but the formulation may differ. The main ingredient of the medicine is Shankhpushpi and used for improving brain function and hence all have named it as Shankhpushpi Syrup.
Below is given composition of Baidyanath, Dabur and Unjha Shankhapushpi Syrup.
Each 5 ml of contains
- Shankhapushpi Convolvalus Pluricaulis 125 mg
- Brahmi Bacopa monnieri 3 mg
- Nimbu Satva Citric Acid 0.75 mg.
- Sugar (Saccharum Officinarum) Q.S.
- Flavour syrup base Q.S.
- Preservatives: Methyl Paraben, Sodium I.P., Propyl Paraben Sodium I.P., Sod. Metabisulphite I.P.
Dabur Shankha Pushpi Syrup
Each 5ml prepared from
- Shankhapushpi 106 mg
- Brahmi 26 mg
- Nimbu Satva 3 mg
- Sharkara 4.237 g
- Water Q.S.
- Preservatives: Sodium Methyl Paraben I.P., Sodium Propyl Paraben I.P.
Unjha Shankhpushpi Syrup
Each 5 ml contains Aqueous Extract Derived From
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) 125 mg.
- Brahmi (Centella Asiatica) 31.25 mg.
- Nimbu Satva (Citric Acid) 3.9065 mg.
- Sugar (Saccharum Officinarum) Q.S.
- Sunset Yellow & Brillium Blue FCF Colour Q.S.
- Approved Flavour Q.S.
- Excipients Q.S.
Know the Ingredients of Shankhpushpi Syrup
Shankhpushpi / Convolvulus pluricaulis, bears conch shell-like flowers and hence it is named as Shankhpushpi (Shankha = Conch; Pushp = Flowers). It is boon for the brain. It is a powerful brain stimulant. Shankhpushpi is hypotensive, antithyroid and sedative. It improves mental functions and reduces stress due to traumatic, chemical or psychological reasons. Shankhpushpi is used in treatment of epilepsy, insanity, weakness of nerves and mental retardation.
Shankhpushpi is Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter) and Kashaya (Astringent) in taste (Ras) and Laghu (light), Slimy and Oily in action (Guna). Its post-digestive effect (Vipak) is Madhura (Sweet). It is a Sheet Virya herbs. Sheet Virya or Cool potency herb, subdues Pitta (Bile) Vata (Wind) and increases Kapha (Mucus). Sheet Virya herb gives nourishment to the body and steadiness. It supports the building of the body fluids.
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Snigdha (Unctuous), Laghu (Light), Picchal (Slimy)
- Virya (Action): Sita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
Shankhpushpi is tridoshhar and balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
Shankhpushpi reduces different types of stress, including psychological, chemical and traumatic. It has an anti-anxiety, hypotensive and mental function improving property. It is a brain tonic and used to treat mental weakness, mental disorders, insanity, to improve memory.
Brahmi / Bacopa monnieri (often confused with its close relative Gotu kola Centella asiatica) which is also called Brahmi in Northern India), is bitter (Tikta), astringent (Kashaya) in taste (Ras), light (Laghu), unctuous (Snigdha) in qualities (Guna). It is pungent (Katu) after digestion (Vipak) and Cool in potency. Brahmi balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha Dosha. It works on seven Dhatu of the body. Brahmi is especially beneficial for the mind. It is a nervine Tonic, sedative, rejuvenative, anticonvulsant and anti-inflammatory. In Ayurveda, it is indicated in mental weakness, anxiety, skin disorders, and fever. It is a memory vitalizer and nervine tonic.
Read more: Herb detail Brahmi or Bacopa monnieri
- Rasa (Taste on Tongue): Bitter/Titka, Astringent/Kashaya
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Light/Laghu, Unctuous/Snigdha
- Virya (Action): Cooling/Sheeta
- Vipaka (Transformed State After Digestion): Pungent/Katu
- Dosha: Vata-Pitta and Kapha Balancing
- Tissue/Dhatu: All Seven, Especially Plasma, Blood, Nerve
Brahmi is adaptogenic, astringent, diuretic, sedative, potent nervine Tonic, an anti-anxiety agent, and improves mental functions. It is used in insanity, epilepsy, bronchitis, asthma and diarrhea. Brahmi is chiefly used in mental disorders as a brain tonic.
Brahmi increases GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) level in the brain. GABA is an amino acid / brain chemical or neurotransmitter that sends signals from nerve cell to a specific target cell. Low level of this chemical or GABA deficiency causes stress, mood disorders, depression, insomnia, hypertension and anxiety.
Brahmi and Shankhpushpi possess properties similar to nootropic agents. They are cooling in nature and reduces excessive heat inside the body, stress, and anger.
Nimbu Satva / Citric acid is acidic and is often used to enhance the flavor of syrups.
Ayurvedic Action of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- Chedana: Laxative
- Majja dhatu Rasayana: Rejuvenative to the nervous tissue
- Medhya: Promotes intellectual capacity
- Nidrajanana Promotes sleep
- Tridosahara: Alleviates all three Dosha
- Unmadaghna: Alleviates insanity and emotional instability
- Vrishya: Aphrodisiac
Biomedical Action of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Astringent: Helps to stop bleeding form intestines, urinary and reproductive system.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
- Nervine sedative: Nerve Tonic, calms nerves.
- Nervine: Tonifying effect on the nervous system.
- Nootropic: Enhance memory or other cognitive functions.
- Nutritive: Providing nourishment, nutritious.
- Sedative: Promoting calm or inducing sleep
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Shankhpushpi Syrup Health Benefits
- It nourishes brain.
- It improves concentration by steadying neuro transmitters.
- It improves memory by increasing protein kinase activity.
- It improves learning, grasping power and retention of memory.
- It improves mental functions and mental quotient.
- It is a mood stabilizer.
- It reduces stress and distraction.
- It controls the hyperexcitability of the nerves.
- It gives alertness and sharpness to mind.
- It gives relief in mental and physical fatigue.
- It reduces mild hypertension.
- It is useful in ADHD Attention deficit hyperactivity disorders.
- It is excellent herbal remedy for children with low intelligence or learning problems.
- It should be used as an adjuvant to many mental disorders.
- It is time-tested and absolutely safe for everyone.
- It has no side effect.
Shankhpushpi Syrup Therapeutic Uses
- Anxiety, Stress, depression, mental fatigue, forgetfulness
- As an adjuvant in mental retardation and mild hypertension, ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), alcoholism
- Autism, anger, schizophrenia, Phobias
- Bed wetting
- Brain tonic
- Concentration and learning problem
- Mood disorders
- Psychosis (mental disorder)
- Sleeplessness / insomnia
- Speech difficulties
Shankhpushpi Syrup Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine 10 to 15 ml OR 2-3 teaspoons and children can take 5-10 ml OR 1-2 teaspoons.
- It should be taken after mixing in one cup water.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening after meals.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- It should not be taken during pregnancy.
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- There are no known side effects in taking this syrup.
- Shankhapushpi Syrup is generally advertised for children but an adult person can also take it for improving brain function and reducing stress.
- It should be taken continuously for three or more months for visible results.
- Each spoon of syrup contains good amount of sugar.
- As Shankhpushpi Syrup contains sugar, therefore it is not suitable for diabetics.
- Shankhapushpi herb is contraindicated with modern anti-epilepttic drug Phenytoin. It reduces the antiepileptic activity of Phenytoin and lowers plasma phenyton levels.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
- Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
Pharmacies Making Shankhpushpi Syrup
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
Dabur Shankhpushpi Syrup
Unjha Shankhpushpi Syrup 200 ml @ INR 80
Vyas Pharmaceuticals Shankhpushpi Syrup
Baidyanath Shankha Pushpi Syrup Price/MRP:
- 450 ml @ INR 147.00
- 200 ml @ INR 76.00
- 100 ml @ INR 41.00
and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.