It is bitter in taste and helps to remove toxins from the blood. Hamdard’s Safi purifies the blood and removes acne, blackheads and skin blemishes. It makes the skin soft, smooth and glowing. When taken continuously for one month it shows good results. It keeps constipation away and supports better digestion. It also helps in weight loss.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Unani Medicine
- Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories (India) established by Late Hakeem Abdul Hameed Sahib.
- Purpose: Blood purification
- Safi Syrup MRP / Price: Rs. 80.00 for 200 ml, Rs. 190.00 for 500 ml
- Availability: In India, Pakistan and Bangladesh at pharmacy Stores and online.
- Suitable for: Both males and females
- Taste: Bitter
- Pacifies: Pitta and Kapha
Medicinal Properties of Hamdard’s Safi
- Anthelmintic: Expel parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
- Anti–inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Anti–viral: Effective against viruses.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Diuretic: Promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
- Depurative: Purifying agent.
- Detoxifying: remove toxic substances.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Purgative: laxative in effect.
Ingredients of Hamdard Safi
Each 5 ml (One teaspoonful) contains aqueous extract of:
- Senna 160.45 mg
- Turbud 25.45 mg
- Gulab ke phool गुलाब के फूल 24.77 mg
- Burada Sheesham 13.4 mg
- Safed chandan 11.36 mg
- Giloy 14.09 mg
- Haritaki 22.04 mg
- Narkachur 11.36 mg
- Chiraita 17.38 mg
- Burge Kasundi 13.40 mg
- Mundi 15.45 mg
- Neelkanthi 16.13 mg
- Shahtara 22.72 mg
- Kachnaar 15.45 mg
- Neem bark 19.43 mg
- Burge Tulsi 13.4 mg
- Zarambaad 11.36 mg
- Daru Haldi 9.43 mg
- ChobChini 11.36 mg
- Post Keekar Bark 42.84 mg
- Sankhaahuli 14.09 mg
- Sarfooka 18.06 mg
- Ushba 5.68 mg
- Brahmi 9.09 mg
- Chakshu 9.09mg
- Bekh Kaasni 9.09 mg
- Unaab 11.36 mg
- Revand Cheeni 22.72 mg
- Qand Sadaid q.s (to make 5 ml)
- Shora Desi 227.27 mg
- Milleh Firangi 1.25 g
Senna (Cassia angustifolia Vahl, Cassia senna Linn var. senna.) is bitter purgative. It is used in combination with other warming herbs to protect the digestive fire and to clear ama.
Ama is formed in body due to incomplete digestion of foods. It is cold, slimy and heavy. This toxic poisonous waste produced by digestive weakness is said to clog the channels in the body (the shrotas), giving rise to disease. Ama is first localized to Kapha regions (chest, stomach, joint) and then vitiated by Vata, Pitta and Kapha and circulates in whole body.
Senna has Carminative, Expectorant, Hepatoprotective, Peristaltic and laxative action.
Senna has few side-effects. It is a habit forming laxative. It should not be used (contraindicated in) in lactation, pregnancy, presence of intestinal obstruction, acute inflammatory intestinal diseases, appendicitis and with children under 12 years old. Its chronic use or abuse can cause losses of electrolytes,in particular potassium ions, resulting inalbuminuria, haematuria and inhibition of intestinalmotility. Potassium loss may potentiatecardiac glucosides and have an effect on antiarrhythmic medication.
Also Read: Herb information Senna or Sanai
Turbud / Nisoth / Opercullna (Operculina turpethum, Synonym Ipomoea turpethum R. Br.) is also a mild laxative that treats constipation. It is traditionally used to treat skin diseases, sores, boils, itches, diarrhoea, piles, dyspepsia, rheumatism, gout, vomiting, biliousness, urinary diseases such as strangury, dysuria, stones in the bladder, diseases of the spleen and all ailments due to excessive indulgence in alcohol.
Also Read: Nishoth Information, Medicinal Uses and Side-effects
Haritaki / Harad / Halelaa siyaah or Chebulic Myrobalan, is used in treatment of for digestive weakness, oedema, dermatosis, urinary diseases, irregular fever and as a blood purifier. It has laxative activity. Haritaki should not be taken in acute coughs, acute diarrhea, and early stage dysentery.
Sheesham (Dalbertgia sissoo), is used to treat leprosy, boils, eruptions and to allay vomiting. It is considered Cold (2 degree) and dry (2 degree) in Unani and has alterative properties.
Neem (Azadirachta indica, family Meliaceae), is also known as Margosa, Nim, Nimba, Nimbatiktam, Arishtha, Praneem. The Neem bark is cool, bitter, astringent, acrid and refrigerant. Bark of the tree is useful in intestinal worms, heat-rash, boils, wounds, jaundice, leprosy, skin disorders, stomach ulcers, chicken pox, malarial fever, tiredness, cough, fever, loss of appetite, worm infestation etc. It heals wounds and vitiated conditions of kapha, vomiting, skin diseases, excessive thirst, and diabetes.
The bark of tree is used in Ayurveda for treatment of skin diseases, excessive pitta, excessive Kapha, toxins in body, bleeding disorders and healing of wounds.
In Unani, Neem is considered Hot and Dry (both 2nd degree).
Babool (Acacia arabica) is used for skin diseases and as an anthelmintic. It has strong astringent action and is used to contract and strengthen mucus membranes throughout the body.
In Unani, its Mizaj (Temperament) is Cold and Dry (both 2nd degree).
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), is a climbing deciduous shrub belonging to the family Menispermaceae, found throughout India. It is also known as Guduchi, Amrita, Amritavalli, Madhuparni, Guduchika, Chinnobhava, Vatsadani, Tantrika, Kundalini, Chakralakshanika (Sanskrit), Gurcha (Hindi), Garo, Galac (Gujarati), Thippateega (Telugu),Amrita, Gilo (Kashmiri), Chittamrutu (Malayalam), Guluchi (Oriya), Gilo (Punjabi), Seendal, Seendil Kodi (Tamil), Siddhilata, Amarlata (Assamese). It is one of the most important medicinal plant and the forms an important drug of the Ayurvedic system of Medicine. It is a Rasayana herb and used to treat for many diseases such as general debility, fever, diabetes, dyspepsia, urinary infections, jaundice, burning sensation, fever, edema and skin diseases.
It has adaptogen, immunostimulant, antioxidant, anticancer and antidiabetic properties.
Benefits of Hamdard Safi
- It is an herbal medicine.
- It works on the basic reason for any skin diseases i.e. toxins in blood. When the reasons is cured the problem is get solved.
- It gives relief in constipation due to presence of Senna.
- It removes toxins from the blood due to its bitter ingredients.
- It supports proper functioning of liver, thyroid, and other important body organs.
- It improves blood circulation due to presence of Tulsi.
- It purifies the blood.
- It keeps skin blemish free.
- It prevents pimples and acne outbreak.
- It improves the complexion and makes the skin radiant.
- It has diuretic properties and causes weight loss.
- It pacifies aggravated Pitta inside body and hence gives relief in rashes, boils and nose bleed which occur due to excess heat in body.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Hamdard Safi
Safi herbal extract keeps skin pimple free and glowing. The ingredients present in this medicine supports proper functioning of the digestive and excretory system. If you are taking Hamdard Safi regularly for period of time (1-2 months or till the skin diseases are cured) then it is an effective pimple fighter and makes your skin radiant naturally.
- Acne vulgaris (chronic skin disease occurring when hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil from the skin)
- Blood disorders
- Boils (painful bump under the skin)
- Constipation (difficulty in emptying the bowels, usually associated with hardened faeces)
- Dark spots, hyperpigmentation
- Dulling of complexion over the time
- Dermatitis (condition in which the skin becomes red, swollen, and sore, sometimes with small blisters)
- Epistaxis / nose bleed / nakseer (bleeding from the nose)
- Pimples, acne, blemishes
- Skin problems
- Skin eruptions
- Urticaria, skin rashes
Dosage of Hamdard Safi
- Regular intake of Hamdard Safi for 3-4 weeks effectively treats various skin diseases that occur due to toxins in the blood.
- Use Hamdard Safi as per uses direction and for period of time.
- How to Take Safi: 10 ml (2 teaspoonful) once a day with one glass of water at breakfast.
- Children (>12 years) may take 1 teaspoonful at breakfast.
- While on treatment, avoid fried, spicy and rich food. Have easily digestible light foods.
- Safi medicine is very bitter.
- Shake the medicine well before use.
- Keep in cool and dark place.
- Do not use in pregnancy and lactation.
- Do not use Hamdard Safi in diarrhea as it is has laxative action.
- It may increase frequency of urination.
- It can cause weight loss.