Turmeric or Haldi is rhizomes of herbaceous perennial plant Curcuma longa. It is used as spice and medicine since time immemorial. It contains protein, carbohydrate, calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium and some vitamins. In India it is present in every kitchen. It is added in curries and vegetables to add flavor colour and make them easily digestible. It also acts as appetizer.
Turmeric is antiseptic, carminative, blood purifier, anti-oxidant and expectorant. It is extensively used in Ayurveda as home remedy for various diseases.
Turmeric milk or Haldi wala doodh is prepared from turmeric and milk. This preparation is tridoshnashak and helps to pacify aggravated pitta, kapha and vaat. It is a home remedy in various health problems.
Preparing turmeric milk
- It is very easy to prepare turmeric milk.
- Take a glass of lukewarm milk.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in it and drink.
- Please always take ONLY lukewarm milk for this preparation.
Advantage of drinking turmeric milk
- Drinking turmeric milk twice or thrice a day helps to give relief in
Cold and cough, sore throat, fever
- Bronchial asthma, Allergies
- Arthritis, Joint inflammation
- Swelling due to some external injury
- Skin diseases, blood purification and removal of toxins
- Stronger bones
- Gives relief in pain, inflammation, abdominal gas
- A clinical study on rats has shown this preparation is antidiabetic, hypolipidemic and hepatoprotective.
- Turmeric milk has many advantages and very beneficial for health but it should not be taken continuously for very long period. Also avoid eating anything an hour after drinking this milk.