Babul(Acacia arabica) is a medicinal tree which is found throughout the drier and sandy parts of India. Its use as datun for teeth cleaning is well known. Regular use of Babul datun strengthens gums, teeth and also reduces plaque accumulation and gingival inflammation. The other parts of Babul tree used for medicinal purpose are bark, gum, leaves, seeds and pods. Babul leaves, bark, gum and seeds all have antibacterial, antihistaminic, anti-inflammatory, astringent and haemostatic properties.
Common Names of Babool Tree
- Latin name: Acacia arabica Synonym A. nilotica (Linn.)
- Family: Mimosaceae
- Hindi: Babul, Kikar
- English: Babul, Black Babul, Indian Gum arabic tree
- Ayurvedic: Babbuula, Babbuuri, Baavari, Aabhaa, Shuulikaa, Shitaka, Kinkiraata, Yugmakantaka, Sukshmapatra, Pitapushpaka
- Gujarati: Babaria, Baval, Kaloabaval
- Bengali: Babla, Babul, Babool
- Kannada: Gobbli, Karijali
- Malyalam: Karivelan, Karuvelum
- Oriya: Bambuda, Baubra
- Punjabi: Sak
- Tamil: Kaluvelamaram,
- Karrivelei, Karuvael, Karuvelam
- Telegu: Nallatumma, Tumma, Tuma
- Unani: Aqaaqia, Babuul, Kikar,Mughilaan, Samur
- Siddha: Karu-velamaram, Karuvelei, Velampisin
Action of various parts of Babul
- General: Kapahahara, grahi, visaghna
- Gum: Grahi, vrsya, sonitasthapana
- Fruits: Stambhana, asthisandhanakara
Tooth and gum related problems
Babul is used to brush teeth which cure various oral problems related to teeth and gums. You can use fresh or dried twig. For using dried twig, soak in water at night and use next morning.
You can also use bark of babul for teeth and gum problems. Take babul bark powder, clove, black pepper and mix to prepare tooth powder. Use this powder for massaging gums and teeth cleaning purpose.
Mouth ulcer, weak gums
Chew Babul leaves and keep in mouth for few minutes then spit.
Dhatu rog, Night fall, Leucorrhoea, Prameha, Pradar
Chew Babul leaves (5-7) and drink glass of water in the morning. Do for few days.
Or you can dry Babul leaves in shade then grind and make powder. Take this powder (1-3 gm) with misri empty stomach in morning.
Collect its seed, clean them. Dry in shade. Grind to make powder.
Spermatorrhoea, loss of viscidity of semen, frequent night discharges and premature ejaculation
Collect its pods, clean seeds. Dry in shade. Grind to make powder. Take twice a day with misri.
Eye diseases, Eye infection, redness
Prepare paste of leaves and apply in poultice form on eyes.
Benefits of using Acacia or Babool for mouth care
- Strengthens teeth and gums
- Antimicrobial action that causes reduction in oral problems
- Reduces plaque formation
- Reduces gingival inflammation (inflammation of the gums )
- Causes alkalinity of saliva that is pH of saliva increases which helps in protecting teeth from cavities, decay
- Prevents cavities, gum swelling
How to use Babul or Acacia
Take fresh twig of Acacia. Chew it and form like a brush. Use this to clean teeth and massage gums. Do datun for few minutes and spit out saliva. Rinse mouth with water.
If you cannot obtain fresh twig daily, then collect fresh twigs and dry them. Now before using dried twig soak in water for a night. Next morning brush with it.
For mouth ulcer you can chew fresh leaves of Babul.
Homemade Babool Tooth Powder
You can also use Acacia bark for teeth and gum problems. Dry bark of acacia and grind it to make powder. Now add clove, Black pepper powder. Mix well to prepare tooth powder. Use this powder for massaging gums and teeth cleaning purpose.