Table of Contents
Khamira / Khameera Marwareed is an Unani medicine. It is a semi-solid preparation, which is particularly used for Cardiac ailments.
Khameera medicines were not used in Arabic and Persian period but are the invented by Indian Hakims during Mogul period. The word Khamira in the Unani system of medicine indicates fermented confection.
Khamira is a semi-solid preparation but neither thick like Majun nor liquid like syrup. It is prepared by adding a decoction of herbal drugs or powdered drugs to a base (Qiwam) made up of sugar or sugar with honey. Other than herbal ingredients, animal and mineral origin drugs are also mixed. After preparation of solution, it is so triturated that it become frothy and colour turns white due to mixing the air constituents in it. Khamiras have been named on the basis of constituents used for the preparation.
Khamira Marwareed is named after its ingredient Marvareed. Marwareed or pearl is the secretion of a bivalve Molluscan called Mytilus margaratiferus.
Khamiras usually act as a cardio-tonic, and tonic for brain, liver, and stomach, and is also used for various other ailments like palpitations, weakness of heart, weakness of principal organs, cough, cold, catarrh, including respiratory and nervous disorders.
Khamira Marwareed is given in case of heart problems, epilepsy and general debility. In chicken pox and measles, it protects the heart and other chief organs of the body and is very useful during convalescence after such diseases. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonym: Khamira-e-Marwareed, Khameera Marvareed, Khamira Marwareed, Khamira Marwarid
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Purpose: It is beneficial in Ikhtilaj (Palpitation), Moti Jhhara, Chechak, Neurological – Cardiac diseases and Debility after disease.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Khamira Marwareed
- Marvareed (Mytilus margaritiferus pearl) 4gm
- Kehruba (Vateria indica gum) 3gm
- Tabasheer (Bambusa arundinasia dried exudate on node) 3gm
- Yashab Mehlool (Jade) 3gm
- Zeher mohra (Serpentine) 3gm
- Sandal safed (Santalum album wood) 3gm
- Sherbat Seb 60 ml
- Sherbat Anar 60 ml
- Sherbat Behi 60 ml
- Verq Nuqra (Silver leaf) 3gm
- Qand Sugar 150 gm
- Make powder of drugs.
- Make Qiwam (Basic Solution of Particular consistency) of sherbet and Sugar.
- Add Verq Nuqra (Silver leaf).
- Triturate it till it become white.
- Muqavvi Qalb (Heart tonic)
- Muqavvi Dimagh (Brain tonic)
- Muqavvi Hafiza (Memory enhancer)
Benefits of Khamira Marwareed
- It is good source of calcium.
- It gives strength to body.
- It has sedative properties.
- It helps in small pox, typhoid, convalescence and general debility.
- It gives relief in palpitation and anxiety states.
- It is heart tonic and gives strength to heart.
- It has immunomodulatory activity to boost immunity:
Important Therapeutic Uses of Khamira Marwareed
- Anxiety, stress, restlessness
- Chicken pox
- General tonic
- General weakness
- Humma-e-mevi /Typhoid / Motijhara
- Infantile epilepsy
- Phthisis & tuberculosis
- Tonic for heart and brain
- Weakness of brain
- Weakness of heart, heart tonic, palpitations/tachycardia
Dosage of Khamira Marwareed
- Khamira Marwareed should be taken orally in dose of 3-5 grams (Adult) or 1-2 grams (Children) according to age, weight, health etc.
- It may be given before breakfast and in evening.
- It can be taken once or twice a day, depending on condition.
- It may be taken with Arq Gaozaban 125ml, or water.
- Avoid rich, spicy and flatulent food.
- Do not take during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- It is not suitable for diabetic person due to sugar content.
- Hamdard Laboratories (India)
- Dehlvi Naturals
- Sadar Laboratories
- Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers,
- protected from light and moisture.