Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Lactin Capsule
- 2 Know the Ingredients of Lactin Capsule
- 3 Ipomoea digitata Medicinal Properties
- 4 Biomedical Action of Lactin Capsule
- 5 Health Benefits of Lactin Capsule
- 6 Dosage of Lactin Capsule
- 7 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
Lactin Capsule, is proprietary Ayurvedic medicines from SAS Pharma. It is based on Ayurvedic principles and contain well-known herbal ingredients and helps to increase lactation (breast milk / mothers milk) by Galactagogue and Phyto-estrogenic activity.
Breastfeeding is boon for the baby and offers many health benefits. Mother’s milk contains right balance of nutrients to help the infant to grow physically and mentally. It is easy to digest and protects the baby against some common childhood illnesses and infections. Every mother should try to give her baby breast milk for at least the first six months of life.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer: S. A. S. PHARMACEUTICALS
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Medicine
- Main Indication: Low breast milk
- Suitable for: Women
Ingredients of Lactin Capsule
Each Capsule Contains Extract of following medicinal herbs:
Know the Ingredients of Lactin Capsule
Shatavari Herb Medicinal Properties
Asparagus racemosus (Wild Asparagus) is known as Shatavar or Shatavari. The fascicled tuberous roots of plant are of medicinal importance.
The roots are dried after harvesting and may be boiled, peeled and cut into pieces. The dried roots are then ground to make a powder (Shatavri Churna) which is used alone or with other ingredients. Shatavar contains saponins, steroidal glycosides and aglycones, flavonoids including quercetin, rutin and hyperoside, alkaloids and mucilage.
Shatavar is a renowned tonic for the female reproductive system. It is a uterine tonic and regulates the periods. Shatavari is very useful in menopausal symptoms with hot flushes, irritability, irregular memory and dryness.
According to Ayurveda, Shatavari is heavy, cold, bitter, nutritive; it relieves vata and pitta and is a Rasayana.
- Taste/Rasa: sweet/madhur, bitter/tikta
- Potency/Veerya: cold/sheeta
- Quality/Guna: heavy/guru, unctous/snigdha
- Post digestive/Vipak: sweet/madhur
- Dosha: Reduces Vata and Pitta and increases Kapha
- Tissue/Dhatu: all tissues
Shatavar is galactagogic, antispasmodic, nervine, antiinflammatory, demulcent, cooling, diuretic, general tonic, expectorant, antibacterial, antitumour and antacid. It is nourishing, soothing, lubricating and is useful in conditions when the diseases are due to excess heat inside body.
Shatavari’s main action is on the female reproductive tract. It has phyto-estrogenic effect and supports lactation. It nourishes Rasa dhatu and improves milk flow and quantity.
Shatavar use is contraindicated in acute lung congestion, high kapha, low digestive fire and high Ama.
While taking Shatavar one should avoid, any activity which generates body heat, eating non-vegetarian or heavy food, hot potency food items, tobacco, sleeping during the day, excessive work, sexual intercourse and exercise.
Saunf Herb Medicinal Properties
Fennel refers to the seeds obtained from the plant Foeniculum vulgare. It is anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, expectorant, diuretic as well as a stimulant. Fennel is useful in abdominal gas, burning syndrome, colicky pain, vomiting, low appetite etc. It gives relief in cramping of the stomach and the intestines. It reduces the cough. It is given to nursing mothers as it stimulates the flow of breast milk.
Fenugreek Medicinal Properties
Fenugreek or Methi is the seeds of plant Trigonella foenum-graecum. Methi seed has an affinity for the uterus and female reproductive system as a whole. The saponin containing phyto-oestrogen precursor, diosgenin, present in the seed plays an important role in female health. After delivery, the seeds help to clean the uterus. It has warminqg effect and stagnation reducing properties. It has galactogogue action and increases the inadequate breast milk supply. Fenugreek is also a nutritive herb that may be beneficial during times of debility and convalescence.
Black Cumin / Kala Jeera, promotes lactation and increase the secretion of mother’s milk.
Ipomoea digitata Medicinal Properties
Vidarikand consists of tuberous roots of Ipomoea digitata. As per Ayurveda, it is a good nutrient, energizer and aphrodisiac. It is sweet, galactagogue, spermatogenic, cooling, greasy, diuretic and calms burning sensations in the body.
Vidarikand has emmenagogue, significant oestrogenic and progesteronogenic activities with no toxicity. It is highly effective in dysmenorrhoea, dysfunctional uterine bleeding and in menopausal syndrome. It improves quality and quantity of breast milk. Vidarikand increases serum prolactin level and thereby increases lactation. For a lack of milk after childbirth, 5 g of powder is given to mothers in cow’s milk.
Leptadenia reticulata is known as Jivanti (Jeevanti) in Ayurveda. It is specially known for its stimulant, galactogogue, and restorative, alterative, aphrodisiac, astringent and diuretic properties. Jivanti is sweet in taste and useful in alleviating Vata, Pitta and Kapha. It significantly increase milk flow due to lactogenic, anabolic and galactogogue effect.
Ayurvedic Action of Lactin Capsule
- Stanya janana: These herbs can increase lactation; e.g. fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) and shatavari (Asparagus racemosus).
- Brmhaniya: These are nourishing herbs that are full of the water element.
Biomedical Action of Lactin Capsule
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Estrogenic: Shatavar contains estrogenic compound or phytoestrogen and hence balance estrogen levels, stop bleeding, and support the restoration of the endometrium. Phytoestrogens are a naturally-occurring plant nutrient that exerts an estrogen-like action on the body. They are structurally and/or functionally similar to mammalian estrogens and their active metabolites.
- Galactagogue: Promotes lactation in humans and other animals.
Health Benefits of Lactin Capsule
- It supports lactation.
- It gives nutrition to the lactating mother.
- It improves the quality and quantity of breast milk without any adverse effects.
- It can be used safely for long-term.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Lactin Capsule
This medicine is indicated in Inadequate lactation. Inadequate lactation is the production of less milk than is needed for breastfeeding a child.
Dosage of Lactin Capsule
The recommended dosage of medicine is 1 capsule.
It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening, before meals with milk.
Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Do not overdose.
- Not to be used during pregnancy. If you have a medical condition or take medications please consult with your doctor before using this product.
- It has no known drug interaction.
- Do not stress. Take proper rest.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Include wholesome fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein, and calcium-rich foods.
- Nursing mother should not eat fish. Avoid non-vegetarian foods.
- Avoid smoking, tobacco chewing and alcohol during lactating period. Nicotine affects prolactin release in response to a sucking stimulus and smoking mothers may have decreased milk yield.
- Keep your nipples and breasts clean.
- Feed from both breasts at each feeding.
- Avoid using soap or ointments that contain astringents or other chemicals on your nipples.
- If you have very sore nipples, you can ask your doctor about using non-aspirin pain relievers.
- Baby only need breast milk for the first six months of life. Breast milk provides all the nutrition for baby. Giving cereal may cause your baby to not want as much breast milk. This will decrease milk supply.
- Almost all medicines pass into breast milk in small amounts, most have no effect on the baby and can be used while breastfeeding. But there are few which can’t be used while breastfeeding.
- Try to keep track of food item that you eat. It helps to know how the baby reacts to the food item eaten each time (fussiness, gassiness, colicky behavior, etc.). For example, in some cases eating beans, cauliflower, or broccoli etc. makes the baby gassy; after eating spicy foods, some babies don’t seem to like the taste of breast milk.
- Strict dieting or skipping meals is not recommended. While breastfeeding, it is best to lose the extra weight gradually, a loss of up to about 0.5 kilogram per week is suggested.