Talisadi churna is an herbal Ayurvedic medicine in powder form prepared from Talisa Patra, Trikatu, Cinnamon, Green cardamom, Bamboo manna, and sugar. It is a classical Ayurvedic medicine indicated in treatment of digestive and respiratory problems. It gives relief in frequent dry cough, pain in the chest, headache, hoarseness of voice, bloating, low appetite etc.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Talisadi Churna
Talisadya Churna is a creamish white fine powder with pleasant odour and a sweet, spicy and pungent taste. It is made with the ingredients in the formulation composition given below.
- Talisa Abies webbiana Lf. 12 g
- Maricha Piper nigrum Fr. 24 g
- Shunti Zingiber officinale Rz. 36 g
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 48 g
- Vamsha-rochana (Vamsha) Bambusa bambos S.C. 60 g
- Ela (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 6 g
- Tvak Cinnamomum zeylanicum St. Bk. 6 g
- Sharkara Cane sugar – 384 g
Talis patra / talisa / talisam / talispatar, talisapathre / talispatra, is leaves of a pine tree found in Himalaya. It has antiperiodic, antiinflammatory, antiflatulent, contraceptive, expectorant, appetiser, carminative, digestive and tonic propertie. In low doses it is given to treat respiratory and throat disorders.
Trikatu is combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper (Sonth + Pippali + Kali mirch). It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It is hot in potency and balances Kapha. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption.
Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. It is Tridosh-har, digestive, carminative, nutritive, laxative, and expectorant. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
Vansha / Venu (Bambusa bambos) is known as Moongil, Moongiluppu in Siddha and Qasab, Tabaashir in Unani. It has expectorant, carminative, cooling, aphrodisiac, tonic properties and given to treat debilitating diseases, urinary infections, chest diseases, cough, asthma.
Sugar has demulcent, cooling, aphrodisiac properties. It reduces Vata/wind inside body. It improves the taste of medicine. It is indicated in cough, burning in the chest, tastelessness, and digestive disorders. It increases bile secretion and supports digestion.
Method of Preparation
- Take all the ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Powder separately ingredients numbered 1 to 8 and pass through sieve number 85.
- Weigh separately each powdered ingredient and mix together in specified ratio. Pass the
- Churna through sieve number 44 to prepare a homogeneous blend.
- Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Talisadi Churna
Health Benefits of Talisadi Churna
- It is useful in both digestive and respiratory ailments.
- It is very good medicine for allergic chronic bronchitis as it reduces frequency of asthmatic attacks due to its bronchodilator (causes widening of the bronchi) action.
- It balances Kapha (phlegm) and Vata (wind) Dosha.
- It has Kapha Nissarana (expectorant) action.
- It is Swasa-Kasa Nashak (destroyer of cough).
- It gives relief in cold-cough, lung congestion, stuffiness, throat disorder and fever due to cough.
- It is effective in dry cough (Shushk Kasa) in which cough is not accompanied by phlegm production.
- It improves appetite and digestion.
- It reduces bloating.
Therapeutic use of Talisadi churna
- Kasa (cough), dry cough
- Zukham (common cold) coryza
- Shvasa (asthma) dyspnoea
- Acute and chronic bronchitis
- Jwar (fever)
- Aruchi (anorexia)
- Ajirna (indigestion)
- Chardi (vomiting)
- Adhmana (flatulence with gurgling sound)
- Atisar (diarrhoea)
- Shosha (cachexia)
- Pliha (splenic disease)
- Grahani (malabsorption syndrome)
- Pandu (anemia)
Dosage of Talisadi churna
- 1 to 4 grams to be taken twice a day before meals with 4-6 gram Honey or warm water.
- Since it is hot in potency and increases pitta, excess dose may cause burning sensation.
- It should be always taken in recommended dosage.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Talisadi Churna तालिसादी चूर्ण), Dabur (Talisadi Churna), Shri Dhootapapeshwar Limited (Taleesadi Choorna), Sri Sri Ayurveda (Talisadi Churna), Rasashram (Talisadi Churna) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.