Excessive gas produced in the body is expelled from the body either as burp or per rectum. Generally people produce one to four pint gas and pass it at least 23 times in a day. But individual suffering from constipation or weak digestion produce excessive gas.
Also sedentary lifestyle, eating gas producing foods, chewing gums, smoking, dairy products, and swallowing foods very fast without much chewing contribute to this problem. The symptoms of excessive gas in the body are abdominal pain, burping, passing gas and bloating. If this condition is chronic it may cause ulcer, bad breath and various other health problems.
Foods that causes excessive gas:
- Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and onion
- Fruits such as pears, banana and peach, apples
- Cold drinks, fruit juices
- Dairy products such as cottage cheese, ice creams, milk
- Foods containing sorbitol, chewing gum, sugar free candy
- Peas, white bread, salad, beans, rajma
- Tips to prevent excessive gas(bloating or flatulence)
- Include garlic, ginger, mint and tomatoes in the diet for improving digestion which helps to lower gas production.
- Don?t drink carbonated drinks and wine.
- Don?t drink using straw. Also make a habit to drink slowly and avoid too much air swallowing.
- Don?t sleep right after having meal but go for walk.
- Avoid spicy ,deep fried food items, burgers and pizzas.
- Chew food properly before swallowing.
- Eat seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Eat gas producing foods in moderation.
- Eat papaya, pine apple, brown rice.
- Go for brisk walking in morning for 40 mins. Avoid sedentary lifestyle and drink 8-10 glass of water.