Table of Contents
Nirgundi Taila is Ayurvedic herbal oil which is used externally on wounds, swelling, boils and rheumatic joints. Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) leaves are used in preparation of this oil which have antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which help this herbal oil to effectively cure ulcers and inflammations. Here is given more about Nirgundi tel, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and how to use.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
- Synonyms: Nirgundi Tel, Nirgundi Oil, Shefali Oil, Langali Taila
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Carbuncle, cysts and abscesses
Also Read: Chitrakadi Taila Medicinal Uses Details
Ingredients of Nirgundi Taila
- Nirgundi svarasa (Lf.) 3.072 l
- Taila (Tila) (Ol.) 768 g
- Langali (Rz.) 96 g
The ingredients of Nirgundi Oil are 4 seers of sesame oil, 16 seers of the expressed juice of leaves and branches of Nirgundi and the paste, measuring 1 seer, of the roots of Gloriosa superba. All these are duly boiled together. This oil, snuffed, cures bronchocele (goiter). Vitex agnus-castus L. is Official substitute Vitex negundo L.
Nirgundi is also known as Nirgundi, Tarvan, Negad, Veeru etc. Every part of this plant is used in form of powder, decoction, oil, leaves paste for its medicinal qualities. An adult can take its leaves juice (10-20 ml), decoction(50-100ml), leaves powder(1.5-3g) or dry leaves extract (300-600mg) as per requirement in a day.
The leaves of Nirgundi (Vitex negundo Linn; family Verbenaceae) is used in Ayurveda for inflammatory swelling of joints, in rheumatism. It has vishaghna (antitoxic), antiseptic, anti-periodic and analgesic action. It is one of the important herb used to treatment Vata diseases. The leaves contain iridoid glycosides, isomeric flavanones and flavonoids, besides casticin and the glucosides, luteolin-7-glucoside and alpha-D-glucoside of a tetrahydroxy monomethoxy flavone.
A water extract of the leaves, when administered to rats, exhibited anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antihistaminic and membrane stabilizing and antioxidant activities.
Sesame Oil is one of the most popular massage oil. It is used as base oil to prepare Ayurvedic medicated oil. It is heavy, unctuous, bitter, astringent and hot in potency. It contains 8 essential amino acids good for brain and used for head massage since ancient times.
Langali – Gloriosa superba Linn. (Family: Liliaceae) is a semi woody herbaceous climber which is used in inflammations, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, gonorrhea, fever and in promoting labor pains. Gloriosa superba contain colchicine, having toxic effects, particular cardiotoxicity. It also contains another toxic alkaloid, gloriosine.
Langali is used in Ayurveda after detoxification only. Shodhana/detoxification process involve the soaking of roots and seeds in Gomutra for 24 h and then washing with warm water. After the Shodhana process the level of colchicine significantly reduces as colchicine is polar in nature and therefore soluble in Gomutra and water.
Langali root is purgative, hot, light and pungent. It increases the secretion of bile, and is useful in leprosy, piles, colic, boils and to expel intestinal worms. It is applied externally on painful muscles and joints.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Nirgundi Taila
Nirgundi Taila is rubbed over, and snuffed. When used in any of these ways, it cures all kinds of sores, ecxema, enlargement of the glands of the neck, and diverse other ailments.
- Abscess (swollen area filled with pus)
- Carbuncle (Multiple boils filled with pus on skin)
- Chronic ulcers
- Dressing for venereal sores
- Gandamala (Cervical lymphadenitis)
- Gangrenous wounds
- Healing of wounds
- Hearing loss
- Pain due to Vata Vyadhi
- Pain in joints
- Painful muscles
- Phimosis (condition where the foreskin is too tight to be pulled back over the head of the penis (glans))
- Rheumatic joint pain
- Skin diseases
Nirgundi tel, is significantly effective to reduce all sign-symptoms of osteoarthritis. The treatment becomes highly significant after 28 days of treatment. In case of crepitation (crackling or rattling sound) it becomes highly significant after 14 days of treatment.
How to use Nirgundi Tel
- It should be massaged externally on affected body area.
- Nasya, is done with every other day in case of loss of speech.
- Nirgundi tel can be used both internally and externally. Internal use, should be done under medical supervision only. The label should be checked, if the oil is suitable for internal use or not.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- Do check the label to know the ingredients and if it is suitable for internal use or not.
- If Gloriosa superba, is present than use cautiously.
- Do patch test before use. If no irritation, rash, sensitivity occur on the tested area then you may use the oil on other affected parts.
- It can be used externally for long duration.
- It should be stored in well closed containers.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Discontinue if hypersensitivity occurs.
Pharmacies Making Nirgundi Tel
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Nirgundi Tail
- Kamdhenu Nirgundi Taila
- Alva’s Nirgundi Taila
- Nisarg Nirgundi Taila
- And Many Other Ayurvedic Pharmacies.