Brihat Vishnu Taila, is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicated oil referenced from Bhaishajya Ratnavali. This oil is used both internally and externally and indicated in all nervous diseases.
Vishnu Tail (Virhat) is very useful for massaging in all type of Vata Vyadhis. In case impotency is caused due to weakness of nerves in men this oil used to massage male organ. It is an anti-vata formulation indicated in painful joints, liver diseases, tuberculosis, paralysis, gout, and infertility in both men and women.
Women who are suffering from miscarriages should use this oil to massage pelvis and thighs. Brihat Vishnu Taila is also given internally.
Benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and how to use can be found below.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Vatavyadhyadhikara (for treatment of Vata Roga)
- Synonyms: Vrihat Vishnu Oil, Brihat Vishnu Tailam
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Vata Roga/nervine disorders
Vata Roga or Vatavyadhi are diseases caused by Vata and are nervous disorders. In human body, all the functions are regulated by three factors, Vata/Vayu, Kapha and Pitta and Vata is the most powerful of all the Doshas. Vata is cold, light, rough, mobile, subtle, clear, dry and astringent.
Vata or Vayu is responsible for all the sensory and motor functions of nervous system. Pitta and Kapha activities are also regulated by Vata. Vata is responsible for all movement in the body, the flow of breath and blood, elimination of wastes, expression of speech. It moves the diaphragm, muscles and limbs, regulates the nervous system and it also stimulates the function of the intellect.
Vata is aggravated by intake of astringent, bitter and pungent foods, in morning and evening, by fear and insecurity, in early autumn and any change in the season, with age, by excessive movement, by dry and cold climate, by sleeping late night. Pulses, dry foods, such as popcorn, aggravate vata due to drying nature.
Massaging with medicated oils helps to promote and regulate proper functioning of Vata or nervous activities.
Ingredients of Brihat Vishnu Taila
Each 48 grams: Ashwagandha, Nagrmotha, Jivak, Rishbhak, Kachur, Kakoli, Ksheerkakoli, Jivanti, Mulethi, Saunf, Devdaru, Padmakashtha, Charila, Jatamansi, Badi Ela, Dalchini, Kuth, Bach, Rakt Chandan, Keshar, Manjeeth, Latakasturi, Shwetcandan, Renuka, Mashaparni, Kundurugond, Mudgparni, Gathivan, Narvi. Make paste by grinding all these ingredients.
- Til Taila / Sesame Oil 6 litre
- Shatavar Juice 6 litre
- Go dugdha 15 litre
- Water for cooking
Shatavari or Wild asparagus refers to roots of Asparagus racemosus, a perennial spiny woody climber belongs to the family Liliaceae. The roots contain a series of steroidal saponins, the shatavarins and others, based on sarsapogenin, diosgenin and arasapogenin. The polycyclic alkaloid asparagamine A, benzofurans such as racemofuran and racemosol, and the isoflavone 8-methoxy-5,6,4″-trihydroxyisoflavone 7-O-β-D-glucopyranoside are also present. It has antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, demulcent, diuretic, anti-diarrhoeal, antirheumatic and antidiabetic. It improves overall health and body immunity.
- Taste/Rasa: sweet/madhur, bitter/tikta
- Quality/Guna: heavy/guru, unctous/snigdha
- Potency/Veerya: cold/sheeta
- Post digestive/Vipak: sweet/madhur
- Dosha effect: Reduces Vata and Pitta, increases Kapha
- Tissue/Dhatu: all tissues
Use Shatavari externally to relieve painful swollen joints and muscle tension.
Sesame Oil is one of the most popular massage oil. Til taila used as base oil to prepare Ayurvedic medicated oil. This oil is heavy, unctuous, bitter, astringent and hot in potency. It contains 8 essential amino acids good for brain and used for head massage since ancient times.
Important Medicinal Uses of Brihat Vishnu Taila
- Ardhavabhedaka (Migraine)
- Ardita (Facial palsy)
- Ashmari (Calculus)
- Female infertility
- Fracture of bones
- Hricchula (Angina pectoris)
- Kshaya (Pthisis)
- Male infertility
- Napunsakata (Impotency)
- Vatarakta (Gout)
Dosage and How to use Brihat Vishnu Taila
- The recommended dosage is 2ml to 6 ml with lukewarm water.
- Brihat Vishnu Taila used externally for Abhyanga. Apply externally on affected body area.
- This oil is also taken internally.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- Suitability of oil for internal use should be checked on the label.
- Store in well tight container away from sunlight.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Discontinue if hypersensitivity occurs.
Pharmacies Making Brihat Vishnu Taila
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. This classical medicine is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Here are some Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Vishnu Tail Vrihat
- Dabur Vishnu Tail (Vrihat)
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.