Table of Contents
- 1 Galacto Plus Granules Composition
- 2 Know the Ingredients of Galacto Plus Granules
- 3 Ayurvedic Action Galacto Plus Granules
- 4 Biomedical Action Galacto Plus Granules
- 5 Galacto Plus Granules Health Benefits
- 6 The Dosage of Galacto Plus Granules
- 7 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
Galacto Plus Granules from Nagarjuna is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine for improving breast milk. It contains well-known herbal ingredients and helps to increase lactation (breast milk/mothers milk) by Galactagogue and Phyto-estrogenic activity.
Breastfeeding is boon for the baby and offers many health benefits. Mother’s milk contains the right balance of nutrients to help the infant to grow physically and mentally. It is easy to digest and protects the baby against some common childhood illnesses and infections. Every mother should try to give her baby breast milk for at least the first six months of life.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Nagarjuna
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Medicine
- Main Indication: Low breast milk
- Suitable for: Women
- MRP/Price: 200 Grams – INR 180
Galacto Plus Granules Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
- Shatavari Asparagus racemosus 4.545 g
- Jivanti Leptadenia reticulata 4.545 g
- Gokshura Tribulus terrestris 4.545 g
- Yashtimadhu Licorice Glycyrrhiza glabra 4.545 g
- Prishniparni Root Uraria picta 4.545 g
- Shalaparni Root Desmodium gangeticum 4.545 g
- Brihati Solanum indicum 4.545 g
- Ikshu Sugarcane Saccharum officinarum 4.545 g
- Masha Black gram 4.545 g
- Mudga Green gram 4.545 g
- Darbha Desmostachya bipinnata 4.545 g
- Bimbi Coccinia grandis 4.545 g
- Bala Sida cordifolia 4.545 g
- Ksheera Cow milk 239.493 ml
- Ghrita Cow ghee 29.220 g
- Mishri White sugar candy 127.272 g
Know the Ingredients of Galacto Plus Granules
Asparagus racemosus (Wild Asparagus) is known as Shatavar or Shatavari. The fascicled tuberous roots of the plant are of medicinal importance.
The roots are dried after harvesting and may be boiled, peeled and cut into pieces. The dried roots are then ground to make a powder (Shatavri Churna) which is used alone or with other ingredients. Shatavar contains saponins, steroidal glycosides, and aglycones, flavonoids including quercetin, rutin and hyperoside, alkaloids and mucilage.
Shatavar is a renowned tonic for the female reproductive system. It is a uterine tonic and regulates the periods. Shatavari is very useful in menopausal symptoms with hot flushes, irritability, irregular memory and dryness.
According to Ayurveda, Shatavari is heavy, cold, bitter, nutritive; it relieves vata and Pitta and is a Rasayana.
- Taste/Rasa: sweet/madhur, bitter/tikta
- Potency/Veerya: cold/sheeta
- Quality/Guna: heavy/guru, unctous/snigdha
- Post digestive/Vipak: sweet/madhur
- Dosha: Reduces Vata and Pitta and increases Kapha
- Tissue/Dhatu: all tissues
Shatavar is galactagogic, antispasmodic, nervine, anti-inflammatory, demulcent, cooling, diuretic, general Tonic, expectorant, antibacterial, antitumor, and antacid. It is nourishing, soothing, lubricating and is useful in conditions when the diseases are due to excess heat inside the body.
Shatavari’s main action is on the female reproductive tract. It has phyto-estrogenic effect and supports lactation. It nourishes Rasa dhatu and improves milk flow and quantity.
Shatavar use is contraindicated in acute lung congestion, high kapha, low digestive fire, and high Ama.
While taking Shatavar one should avoid, any activity which generates body heat, eating non-vegetarian or heavy food, hot potency food items, tobacco, sleeping during the day, excessive work, sexual intercourse, and exercise.
Gokhru, Gokhura, Gokshuru, Gochurak, Trikantaka (Sanskrit), Caltrops, Puncturevine (English), Nerunchi Mul (Siddha) all are synonyms of Tribulus terrestris (Fam. Zygophyllaceae). Gokhru consists of dried, ripe, entire fruit of Tribulus terrestris
Gokhru is bitter, sweet in Taste/RASA, Cooling in Potency/VIRYA, Heavy and Unctuous in Quality/GUNA, and Sweet after Digestion/VIPAK. It mainly acts on Urinary, nerve, reproductive and respiratory system. It is a cooling, diuretic, tonic, and aphrodisiac, Improves muscle building, stamina and endurance. It increases libido-fertility and makes one strong and healthy.
Gokhru should be taken cautiously with antipsychotic drugs as It increases the breaking down of the medication in the digestive system, thus reducing the effectiveness of the drug.
Mulethi or Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is extensively used in Ayurveda. It relieves coughs, sore throats, respiratory problems, abdominal pain, and hyperacidity. It is used to prepare cough remedies, skin preparations, and in combination with other plants for the treatment of ulcer. It should not be used in high blood pressure, fluid retention, diabetes, and certain other conditions.
Brihati: Solanum Indicum Linn carminative, constipative, hot, and alleviator of Vayu. Prishniparni and Shaliparni: Uraria picta Desv. & Desmodium gangeticum DC. are very useful in diseases caused due to vitiation of Pitta – Kapha and Vata.
Mishri / raw sugar/candy sugar or Rock candy consist of big white, sweet lumps of crystals. It is obtained by cooling a supersaturated sugar solution.
It has demulcent, cooling, aphrodisiac properties. Mishri intake increases weight and gives energy. It reduces Vata/wind inside the body. It improves the taste of medicine. It is indicated in cough, burning in the chest, tastelessness, and digestive disorders. It increases bile secretion and supports digestion. The combination of fennel and Mishri is chewed after meals as a mouth freshener.
Bala / Country Mallow (Sida cordifolia) roots are used in Ayurveda to impart Balya or strength. It belongs to Malvaceae family and grows wild along roadsides throughout the tropical and sub-tropical plains of India and Sri Lanka. The roots of the plant are analgesic, aphrodisiac, demulcent, diuretic, nervine, rejuvenative, stimulant, Tonic, vulnerary. Bala is given in the treatment of TB, urinary conditions, sciatica, insanity, neuralgia and nerve inflammation, emaciation, muscular strength loss, exhaustion, and sexual debility.
Sarpi / Ghee
Sarpi or Go Ghrita is ghee made from cow’s milk. It is described in Ayurveda as Sapta dhatu vardhak and Ojo vardhak. When Ghrita is consumed in medicinal proportion, it improves general, mental and physical health. It is Buddhi vardhaka (augmenting intelligence), Smriti vardhaka (enhancing memory) and Deepana (improves appetite). It cures internal dryness. Go Ghrita helps the liver fat-soluble nutrients to the body organs. Its regular intake promotes strength by improving the digestive capacity.
Ayurvedic Action Galacto Plus Granules
- Ama nashak: toxin digester
- Balya: Increases strength
- Brmhaniya: These are nourishing herbs that are full of the water element.
- Jwarhar: Reduces fever.
- Shothhar: Gives relief in inflammation
- Shvashar: Gives relief in Asthma
- Stanya janana: These herbs can increase lactation; e.g. fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) and Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
Biomedical Action Galacto Plus Granules
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Estrogenic: Shatavar contains estrogenic compound or phytoestrogen and hence balance estrogen levels, stop bleeding, and support the restoration of the endometrium. Phytoestrogens are a naturally-occurring plant nutrient that exerts an estrogen-like action on the body. They are structurally and/or functionally similar to mammalian estrogens and their active metabolites.
- Galactagogue: Promotes lactation in humans and other animals.
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Galacto Plus Granules Health Benefits
- It balances Vata-Pitta and Kapha.
- It is a completely natural non-hormonal supplement.
- It prevents Weakness and assures adequate nutrition.
- It improves the quality and quantity of breast milk without any adverse effects.
Galacto Plus Granules Therapeutic Uses
This medicine is indicated in Inadequate lactation. Inadequate lactation is the production of less milk than is needed for breastfeeding a child.
The Dosage of Galacto Plus Granules
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1-2 teaspoon.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with milk.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Do not overdose.
- Do not stress. Take proper rest.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Include wholesome fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein, and calcium-rich foods.
- A nursing mother should not eat fish. Avoid non-vegetarian foods.
- Avoid smoking, tobacco chewing, and alcohol during the lactating period. Nicotine affects prolactin release in response to a sucking stimulus and smoking mothers may have decreased milk yield.
- Keep your nipples and breasts clean.
- The feed from both breasts at each feeding.
- Avoid using soap or ointments that contain astringents or other chemicals on your nipples.
- If you have very sore nipples, you can ask your doctor about using non-aspirin pain relievers.
- Baby only need breast milk for the first six months of life. Breast milk provides all the nutrition for a baby. Giving cereal may cause your baby to not want as much breast milk. This will decrease milk supply.
- Almost all medicines pass into breast milk in small amounts, most have no effect on the baby and can be used while breastfeeding. But there are few which can’t be used while breastfeeding.
- Try to keep track of the food item that you eat. It helps to know how the baby reacts to the food item eaten each time (fussiness, gassiness, colicky behavior, etc.). For example, in some cases eating beans, cauliflower, or broccoli, etc. makes the baby gassy; after eating spicy foods, some babies don’t seem to like the taste of breast milk.
- Strict dieting or skipping meals is not recommended. While breastfeeding, it is best to lose the extra weight gradually, a loss of up to about 0.5 kilograms per week is suggested.