Lukol is proprietary herbal medicine from Himalaya Drug Company. It is used to treat leucorrhoea. Leucorrhoea is also known as Shvet/Shwet Pradar. It has antifungal, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antispasmodic activities which not only helps to cure but also gives relief in symptom associated with leucorrhoea.
Himalaya Lukol is available in tablet and syrup form. You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
What is leucorrhoea?
Definition: Leucorrhea or leucorrhoea, is flow of a whitish, yellowish, or greenish discharge from the vagina or uterine cavity. It may be normal or that may be a sign of infection.
It is normal to have fluid discharge from vagina. This fluid is produced by the vaginal glands and cervix. It serves important purpose of cleaning the female reproductive organs by carrying away dead cells and bacteria which helps to prevent infection.
Normal vaginal discharge is clear to a milky white in color. It is more during ovulation, breastfeeding and sex. Normal vaginal fluid does not have odor.
But, if discharge is excessive, smelly, and contains pus it is sign of infection and needs treatment. In such condition, there is irritation, itching, pain, or tissue inflammation in vagina. Leucorrhoea is the term used for a whitish or yellowish discharge of mucus from the vagina.
The causes of leucorrhea are trichomoniasis (the most common sexually transmitted disease;infection of the genital and urinary tract), candidiasis (infection caused by yeast Candida), and bacterial vaginosis (overgrowth of harmful anaerobic bacteria).
Leucorrhea may occur during pregnancy and is considered normal when the discharge is thin, white, and relatively odorless.
Physiologic leukorrhea is a normal condition occurring within several months to a year of the onset of menses in adolescent girls and is sometimes present in newborn girls, usually lasting one to two months.
Ingredients of Lukol
Each Lukol (tablet) contains:
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) 80mg
- Kokilaksha (Hygrophila auriculata Syn. Asteracantha longifolia) 80mg
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) 80mg
- Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) 40mg
- Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa) 20mg
- Vasaka (Adhatoda zeylanica) 20mg
- Pdrs Puga (Areca catechu) 40mg
- Jatiphalam (Myristica fragrans) 32mg
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) 22mg
- Nagkesara (Mesua ferrea) 22mg
- Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum) 20mg
- Chandana (Santalum album) 20mg
- Shilajeet Purified 18mg
- Praval bhasma 14mg
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos) 10mg
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale) 10mg
- Triphala 10mg
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) 10mg
- Hyamaraka (Wrightia tinctoria) 10mg
- Guggulu (Commiphora wightii) 10mg
- Loh bhasma 10mg
- Trivanga Bhasma 10mg
- Palasa (Butea frondosa Syn. B.monosperma) 8mg
- Each 5 ml of Lukol syrup contains:
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) 43 mg
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) 42 mg
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) 42 mg
- Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa) 22 mg
- Vasaka (Adhatoda vasica) 22 mg
- Jambu (Syzygium cuminii) 21 mg
- Triphala 13 mg
- Ushira (Vetiveria zizanioides) 11 mg
- Kharjura (Phoenix dactylifera) 11 mg
- Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum) 10 mg
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos) 5 mg
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale) 3 mg
- Maricha (Piper nigrum) 3 mg Palasha (Butea frondosa) 2 mg
Health Benefits of Medicinal Uses
Benefits of Lukol
- It has antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- It treats bacterial infection causing leucorrhoea and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
- It has swelling reducing, pain relieving and antispasmodic properties.
- It has antibacterial, antifungal and astringent actions on mucous membrane of the genital system which helps to treat leucorrhoea.
- It improves blood circulation and musculature of uterus.
- It gives relief in pain, back ache, other symptoms associated with PID and leucorrhoea.
- It improves general health and relieves malaise and low backache.
Uses of Lukol
- Lukol is effective herbal medicine to treat following conditions due to its antioxidant, antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, adaptogenic, analgesic and antispasmodic properties.
- Post intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) leucorrhoea
- Post tubectomy (surgical procedure for permanent contraception) leucorrhoea
- Leucorrhoea associated with PID, Candida vulvovaginitis, Bacterial vaginosis, Atrophic vaginitis and Chronic cervicitis
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
Dosage of Lukol
2 tablet thrice a day with water for 2-3 weeks.
Lukol is not known to have any side effects even when used for a longer period of time.