Tea Tree oil is oil extracted from leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia. Tea Trees is a plant native to Australian and is totally different from Tea Tree(Camellia sinensis). This plant is used by native Australian people since ancient times as medicine to treat skin infections, cold and cough.
Oil is extracted from Tee trees leave by distillation process and this oil has very good medicinal properties to treat skin infection and is clinically proven.
Some medicinal uses of tea tree oil
- Can be applied on skin to treat fungal infections, athlete foot, nail fungi infection.
- Apply on cut and wounds to prevent bacterial infection.
- Can be applied on skull to treat dandruff and lice.
- Tea tree oil is also effective in treating acne if applied 5% to benzoyl peroxide gel products.
Precautions to be taken with tea tree oil
- Tea tree oil is poisonous and should not be swallowed. Keep this away from reach of children.
- This can cause skin irritation if used in large amount so you should use this by diluting this or use in small quantities.