Table of Contents
Erand taila (oil) or castor oil is obtained from the seeds of Castor or Eranda tree. The seeds contain about 40-55% of oil which is extracted and used for medicinal purpose. Ricinolic acid present in castor oil is responsible for its purgative action and hence it is effective for acute constipation.
Castor oil also helps in intestinal inflammation, parasites, and as a form of birth control. The oil is used externally for inflammatory skin disorders, furuncles, carbuncles, abscesses, inflammation of the middle ear and headaches (in form of poultice). It is warm, oily, heavy, and acts as a laxative.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: It is very good for skin, hair and treating chronic constipation.
- Srotas / Channel: Digestive, excretory, circulatory
- Dosha Effect: Reduces Vata-Pitta and Kapha; But increases Pitta in excess.
- Synonyms for Castor Oil: Castor bean Oil, Arandi ka Tel/Tail, Eranda Taila, Castor seed Oil
Ingredients of Dabur Erand Oil
Oil extracted from the seeds of Ricinus communis Linn. (Castor Bean, Castor-Oil Plant, Palma Christi, Arund, Arandi, Erand, Ind, Rand)
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Castor Oil is astringent, sweet and pungent in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya). It is an Ushna Virya herb. Ushna Virya or hot potency herb, subdues Vata (Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile). It has property of digestion, vomiting and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and fetus.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Guru (Heavy), Tikshna (Sharp), Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
It is Madhur Vipak (digests into sweet) and has building, moistening and nourishing effect on body. It is heavy to digest and reduces metabolism. Such herbs are cooling and reduce swelling.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Amapachana: Removes toxins.
- Angamarda: Relieves limb pain/body aches.
- Bhedaniya: Purgative, destroys faeces.
- Cakshushya: Benefits the eyes.
- Rechana: Cathartics, forcibly expel faeces as semi-Shodhana: Cleans excess doshas out of the body.
- Snehopaga: Moistening, cures dryness.
- Vataghna: Reduces Vata.
- Antiarthritic: Relieving arthritis. A remedy for arthritis.
- Antifungal: Used to prevent fungal growth; active against fungi.
- Cathartic, Purgative, laxative: Strongly laxative in effect.
- Emollient: Having the quality of softening or soothing the skin.
- Oxytocic: Hastening or facilitating childbirth, especially by stimulating contractions of the uterus
Benefits of Dabur Erand Oil
- It is good for skin and hair.
- It is edible oil with purgative action.
- It is taken with milk to [get relief from constipation.
- It moisturizes skin and helps in skin dryness.
- It is applied on skin to minimize wrinkles.
- It reduces swelling.
- It is antibacterial.
- It can be applied on acne after washing face with warm water.
- It reduces pain in the chest, thighs, back, etc.
- It is useful in Vata disorders especially where there is upward movement of Apana Vayu.
- It lubricates the joints internally and reduces Vata and occasional constipation.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Dabur Erand Oil
Castor Oil is mild purgative for babies, healthy and weak adults and aged person.
- Fungal infection
- Hair dryness, damage
- Promoting hair growth
- Skin care
- Skin dryness
- Applied on eyelash and brows to get fuller appearance
Dosage of Dabur Erand Oil
- Castor oil is Stimulating Laxatives and helps in acute CONSTIPATION. The recommended dosage of Oil is given below:
- For adult: 8 to 16ml with warm milk.
- For children above the age of 12: 4ml with warm milk.
For RHEUMATOID AND OSTEOARTHRITIS, in one cup of ginger tea add 2 teaspoons of castor oil. Take this tea before going to bed.
For WRINKLES, apply castor oil topically under the eyes or on that of the throat. Application of pure castor oil regularly prevents wrinkles.
For WART, apply castor oil generously over the affected parts every night. The treatment should be continued for several months.
For PITTA-TYPE ARTHRITIS, apply castor oil over painful area.
For BREAST ABSCESS, MASTITIS, CONGESTION, AND STAGNATION OF MILK in the breast, gently massage breasts with warm castor oil.
For IRRITATED EYES, BURNING IN EYES, PREVENTING CATARACT, put one drop of pure castor oil (without preservatives) in the eye at bedtime.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
Always check the label to know whether it is suitable for internal use or not.
Castor Oil is contraindicated in intestinal obstruction, acute inflammatory intestinal diseases, appendicitis, abdominal pain of unknown origin, during pregnancy and while nursing.
Not to be given to children under 12 years old.
No health hazards or side effects are known in conjunction with the proper administration of designated therapeutic dosages of Castor Oil.
No drug interaction is known.
It is safe for external use in most of people.
Allergic skin rashes have been observed in rare cases.
Excess intake of Castor Oil can lead to gastric irritation with nausea, vomiting, colic and severe diarrhea.
Long-term use leads to loss of electrolytes, especially potassium ions, hyperaldosteronism, inhibition of intestinal motility and enhancement of the effect of cardioactive steroids.
Castor oil tends to create dependency, in the sense that once you use it, other purgatives rarely work. So, it is recommended to use castor oil for constipation only in severe cases or in emergencies, as a last resort, but not on a regular basis.
Do not apply castor oil to the areola and nipple while breastfeeding. It may cause loose motion / diarrhea in breastfed child. So, either avoid the nipple or wash off the oil before nursing the child.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
Keep away from the sight and reach of children.