Table of Contents
- 1 Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Composition
- 2 Ayurvedic Action / Karma of Zandu Vishtinduk Vati
- 3 Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Biomedical Action
- 4 Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Health Benefits
- 5 Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Therapeutic Uses
- 6 Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Dosage
- 7 Side-effects of Zandu Vishtinduk Vati
- 8 FAQs About Vishtinduk Vati
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati is classical Ayurvedic medicine with nervine tonic, digestive stimulant, aphrodisiac and stimulant (excites the functions of an organ) properties. The main indication of this medicine is Jirna Vata Roga (sciatica, lumbago, gout, arthritis, pain in back, muscular pain). It is also beneficial in impotence, constipation, paralytic and neuralgic affections, diarrhoea, dysentery and debility of the spinal system.
Vishtinduk Vati contains Vishtinduk. Vishtinduk is also known as Kuchela, Kuchila, Vindu, Tinduka, Karaskara, Ramyaphala, Kupaka, Kalkuta, Visamushtika, Kupilu, Vishamushti, Vishatinduka and Nux-vomica.
Nux Vomica is Vish or Poison. It contains 2 active alkaloids (Strychnine & Brucine), which are highly poisonous. The seeds are extremely poisonous affecting the nervous and muscular systems causing tetanic convulsions and death. In small doses, it is given for paralytic and neuralgic affections, diarrhoea, dysentery and debility of the spinal system.
In Ayurveda, the seeds of plant are used only after Shodhanato get Shuddha Kuchala. Detoxification or Shodhan of Kupilu seeds brings chemical changes causing N-oxidation and conversion of Strychnine and brucine into less toxic derivations as isostrychnine, isobrucine, strychnine N-Oxide, brucine N oxide and reduced level of loganic acid content of the seeds.
This medicine contains Nux Vomica. It affects brain and heart. Therefore, it is highly recommended to take this medicine with due caution and UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION ONLY. This page is intended to give you correct information about this medicine. Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate. It is always better to start with low dose. Do check the list of ingredients and their side effects.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as:
- What is Zandu Vishtinduk Vati?
- What are the ingredients present in Zandu Vishtinduk Vati?
- What are the uses of Zandu Vishtinduk Vati?
- What are the side-effects of Zandu Vishtinduk Vati?
- When not to take Zandu Vishtinduk Vati?
- What are possible drug interaction?
- What are warnings and suggestions?
- Manufacturer: Zandu Pharmaceutical Works Ltd
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Nervine Disorders, Sciatica, Lumbago and Chronic Vata Roga
- Use in Pregnancy: UNSAFE, Do not take.
- Dosha Effect: Vata-Kapha Reducing and Pitta Increasing.
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati 40 tablets – Rupees 28.00
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Composition
Ingredients present in Each are given 65 mg tablet is given below:
- Strichnus Nux-vomica / Karaskar / Vishtinduk / Visamusti Churna (65 mg)
- Rajat Vark Silver QS
Know the Ingredients
Vishamushti, Kuchla, Nux Vomica, Poison Nut, Semen Strychnos, or Strychnos nux-vomica, is useful in improving digestion and removal of toxic substances. It also strengthens the nervous system and muscular coordination, thereby helps in strengthening of muscles, joints and bones.
It alleviates Vata and pain and because of its sharpness, it stimulates and strengthens nerves. Useful in vata disorders like neuralgia, facial palsy, hemiplegia, insomnia. Being bitter and pungent, it is a good appetizer, digestive and astringent. Dribbling of the urine due to atonicity of bladder is corrected by it. It cures the laxity of body tissue.
Kuchila Seeds are nervine, stomachic, and cardio-tonic, aphrodisiac, and respiratory stimulant. It is used as a remedy in chronic dysentery, paralytic and neuralgic disorders, epilepsy, rheumatic arthritis, and hydrophobia.
In excessive doses, Strychnos is a virulent poison, producing stiffness of muscles and convulsions, ultimately leading to death. Strychnos nux-vomica Linn. has stimulating effects on respiratory and vasomotor centers. It has direct depressant effect on the heart and inhibits the release of acetylcholine. It acts on cerebral cortex and peripheral nerves and show marked hyperactivity. It is Toxic. Poisoning can generate anxiety, backache, enhanced reflexes, equilibrium disorders, heightened sense perception, pain, and stiff neck, then convulsions, dyspnea, and twitching.
Large doses of nux vomica cause tetanic convulsions and eventually death results. Even with safe doses there may be some mental derangement. Long-term intake strychnine can cause liver damage.
In the case of toxic symptoms of Strychnos nux-vomica, a leaf paste of Abrus precatorius along with gruel of arrow root (Maranta arundinacea) powder is given.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma of Zandu Vishtinduk Vati
- Deepana: Promote appetite but do not aid in digesting undigested food.
- Kapha-Vata har: Remover of the Humor of Kapha-Vata.
- Svedana: promote the secretion of perspiration
- Vajikarak: Aphrodisiac are medicines which increase the sexual power
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Vishaghna: Poison-destroying.
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Biomedical Action
- Abortifacient: Induces abortion.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Decongestant: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Emmenagogue: Stimulates or increases menstrual flow.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Hypertensive: Blood pressure increasing.
- Nervine: tonic for nerve.
- Stimulant: Raises levels of physiological or nervous activity in the body.
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Health Benefits
- It gives relief in constipation.
- It gives relief in nerve pain and nerve disorders.
- It gives strength to muscles.
- It has stimulant action of body organs.
- It improves appetite.
- It improves blood circulation.
- It is a nerve tonic.
- It is beneficial in nerves weakness due to opium addiction.
- It is heating in action and reduces cough.
- It is nervine tonic.
- It is useful in serious chronic Vata roga such as paralysis, facial paralysis, lumbago, arthritis and sciatica.
- It supports better digestion due to pitta vardhak action.
- It supports better libido and sexual performance.
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Therapeutic Uses
Vishtinduk Vati has nervine, stomachic, and cardio-tonic, aphrodisiac, and respiratory stimulant action. It is used as a remedy in chronic vata roga, chronic dysentery, paralytic and neuralgic disorders, epilepsy, rheumatic arthritis, and hydrophobia.
Please Note: Nux Vomica containing medicines should be used taken only for 1-2 weeks.
- Chronic Vata Disease
- Ed Erectile dysfunction, impotence
- Facial Paralysis
- Intestinal Colic
- local Paralysis
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Lung disease
- Muscle weakness
- Muscular Pain
- Nervine weakness
- Neurotic affections
- Opium addiction
- Pain in joints
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sexual Debility of Males
Zandu Vishtinduk Vati Dosage
The medicine must be taken in lowest dose and only for 1 to 2 weeks. If necessary, take medicine after gap of 1-2 months for 1-2 weeks ONLY. The treatment in such manner can be done 3-4 times.
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 2 to 4 tablets.
- It can be taken once or twice a day after meal.
- It is to be taken with milk, butter or ghee.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
- This medicine is not suitable for long term use.
- Take ONLY after consulting doctor.
- It is prescription drug.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- If symptoms do not improve or worsen, consult doctor.
- It must not be used in liver diseases, kidney diseases and urine retention.
- It should not be used in hypertension.
- It must not used in high fever.
- It is contraindicated in following conditions:
- Nasal haemorrhages
- Acute flatulence
- Burning urination
- Urinary incontinence
- Inflammation of the urethra
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
- Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of same disease.
Side-effects of Zandu Vishtinduk Vati
- Larger doses of Strychnine are known to be lethal.
- It can increase blood pressure, heart rate and heart contractions.
- It can cause hyperacidity.
- It can cause giddiness or dizziness.
- Extensive use causes nervous disability, paralysis & weakness of limbs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- Do not use any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Keep bottle cap closed after every use.
FAQs About Vishtinduk Vati
Is it safe to take Vishtinduk Vati?
It is safe to take Vishtinduk Vati ONLY when prescribed by Ayurvedic Doctor. It is prescription drug and must not be used without consulting doctor.
What is the Chief Indication of Vishtinduk Vati?
The most common use of this medicine is for Chronic Vata Roga.
What is Effect on Vata-Pitta or Kapha?
- Vata Reducing.
- Pitta Increasing.
- Kapha Reducing.
Does it contain non-herbal ingredients?
How long can I take this medicine?
You may take it for 1-2 weeks ONLY.
What is the Best time to take Vishtinduk Vati?
It should be taken after meal. Try to take at same time daily.
Is Vishtinduk Vati a habit-forming medicine?
Is it safe to drive while taking Vishtinduk Vati?
If a person feels side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, hypotension, headache, or any symptoms affecting mental alertness, he or she must not drive or operate heavy machinery.
Can I take it during periods?
It can be taken. Avoid during periods, if you feel any effect on bleeding pattern.
Can I take it during pregnancy?
No, it is UNSAFE to use Nux Vomica during pregnancy.
Can a diabetic person take it?
Yes, if prescribed by doctor.
Can I give it to children?
What happens in case of overdose?
It is UNSAFE in larger dose, immediately consult doctor.
When to consume Vishtinduk Vati, empty stomach, before food or after food?
It should be taken after food.