Table of Contents
Shula Haran Yoga is classical Ayurvedic medicine with pain relieving properties. The main indication of this medicine is pain/colic, malabsorption syndrome, diarrhea, abdominal lump and digestive impairment. It is also beneficial in gulma (phantom tumor).
Sulaharan Yoga consists of Terminalia chebula (dried fruit), Zingiber officinale (dried rhizome), Piper nigrum (dried fruit), Piper longum (dried fruit), Strychnos nux-vomica (dried seed), Ferula foetida (oleo-gum-resin), Sulphur and rock salt (Saindhava lavana).
As this medicine contains Kuchla, it is highly recommended to take this medicine ONLY under direct medical supervision.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as:
- What is Sulaharan Yoga?
- What are the ingredients present in Sulaharan Yoga?
- What are the uses of Sulaharan Yoga?
- What are the side-effects of Sulaharan Yoga?
- When not to take Sulaharan Yoga?
- What are possible drug interactions?
- What are warnings and suggestions?
Reference: Rasendrasara Sangraha, Shularogachikitsa
Availability: Online and at medical stores
Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
Main Indication: Digestive Problems, Abdominal Distension, Gas, Colic, Indigestion, Poor Appetite
Dosha Effect: Decreases Vata and Kapha, increases Pitta
Sulaharan Yoga Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
- Haritaki (P.) 1 Part
- Shunthi (Rz.) 1 Part
- Maricha (Fr.) 1 Part
- Pippali (Fr.) 1 Part
- Kuchila (Visahmushti) – ¿uddha (Sd.) 1 Part
- Hingu (Exd.) 1 Part
- Saindhava lavana 1 Part
- Gandhaka – Shddha 1 Part
Know the Ingredients
Vishtindu, Kuchela, Kuchila, Vindu, Tinduka, Karaskara, Ramyaphala, Kupaka, Kalkuta, Visamushtika, Kupilu, Vishamushti, Vishatinduka are few Sanskrit names of Nux-vomica.
Nux Vomica is Vish or Poison. It contains 2 active alkaloids (Strychnine & Brucine), which are highly poisonous. The seeds are extremely poisonous affecting the nervous and muscular systems causing tetanic convulsions and death. In small doses, it is given for paralytic and neuralgic affections, diarrhoea, dysentery and debility of the spinal system.
In Ayurveda, the seeds of plant are used only after Shodhanato get Shuddha Kuchala. Detoxification or Shodhan of Kupilu seeds brings chemical changes causing N-oxidation and conversion of Strychnine and brucine into less toxic derivations as isostrychnine, isobrucine, strychnine N-Oxide, brucine N oxide and reduced level of loganic acid content of the seeds.
Trikatu is combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper. It is effective for burning Ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha. It clears mucus from the stomach and lungs.
- Rasa (taste): Pungent
- Virya (energy): Heating
- Vipak (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Gunna (quality): Light, dry
- Dosha effect: VK-, P+, can aggravate V in excess
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscle, fat
- Srotas (channel): Digestive, respiratory, fat, eliminatory
Trikatu stimulates sluggish agni. It is helpful in Vishamagni (irregular appetite, variable hunger, bloating, indigestion, intestinal cramps, constipation, dry stool, gas.) and Mandagni (slow digestion, heaviness after a meal, sluggish bowels, bulky stool, feeling cold, sweet craving, stimulant craving). It is indicated especially in low digestive activity with sluggishness, bloating, abdominal pain and flatulence due to high kapha or vata. It also helps in conditions of poor nutritional assimilation due to parasites, a leaky gut or low enzyme secretions.
Hingu (Asafoetida) is a strongly foetid brownish resinous latex of a tree. It is bitter, acrid, carminative, antispasmodic, expectorant, digestive, and laxative. Heeng is helpful in abdominal gas, colic, indigestion, and anorexia.
Hing is contraindicated in High pitta, inflammatory conditions of the liver and brain and pregnancy.
Saindhava namak, sendha namak or Rock salt, is brownish-white crystal salt mined from the underground dry sea beds. It is hot in potency but believed to be more cooling than natural sea salt. Sendha namak is preferred in Ayurveda for digestive disorders. It stimulates salivation and digestion.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma of Sulaharan Yoga
- Amadosha-hara: Removes toxins
- Anulomna: Takes vata / wind downward, mild laxative.
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite.
- Ruchikarak: Improve taste.
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha.
- Vatanulomana: Takes Vata / wind downward, mild laxative.
Biomedical Action of Sulaharan Yoga
- Anti-cough: Reduces cough.
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: Aids or promotes the digestion of food.
- Digestive: Digestant.
Sulaharan Yoga Health Benefits
- It gives luster.
- It improves appetite.
- It supports better assimilation.
- It gives relief in pain.
- It alleviates gas, bloating, and spasms.
- It improves metabolism.
- It helps in flatulence, bloating, indigestion and abdominal pain.
Sulaharan Yoga Therapeutic Uses
Sulaharan Yoga is indicated in Shula or colicky pain. It is to be taken with warm cow’s milk. It is hot in potency and increases Pitta and subdue Vata and Kapha. It has property of digestion, vomiting and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and fetus.
- Shula (Colicky Pain)
- Grahani (Malabsorption syndrome)
- Atisara (Diarrhoea)
- Gulma (Abdominal lump)
- Agnimandya (Digestive impairment)
- Ajirna (Dyspepsia)
Sulaharan Yoga Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1 tablet.
- It should be taken twice 0r thrice a day.
- It is to be taken with milk, butter or ghee.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
- The medicine must be taken in lowest dose and only for 1 to 2 weeks. This medicine is not suitable for long term use.
- Take ONLY after consulting doctor.
- It is prescription drug.
- It contains salt, and hence not suitable for people suffering from high blood pressure and kidney related disorders.
- It should not be taken by people on restricted sodium diet.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- If symptoms do not improve or worsen, consult doctor.
- It must not be used in liver diseases, kidney diseases and urine retention.
- It should not be used in hypertension.
- It must not be used in high fever.
- It is contraindicated in following conditions:
- Nasal haemorrhages
- Acute flatulence
- Burning urination
- Urinary incontinence
- Inflammation of the urethra
Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of same disease.
Sulaharan Yoga of Side-effects
- It increases pitta and hence may cause acidity and gastric irritation.
- Larger doses of Strychnine are known to be lethal.
- It can increase blood pressure, heart rate and heart contractions.
- It can cause hyperacidity.
- It can cause giddiness or dizziness.
- Excess dose can cause burning sensation, gastritis, and other Pitta related problems.
- Extensive use causes nervous disability, paralysis & weakness of limbs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- Do not use any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Keep bottle cap closed after every use.
FAQs About Sulaharan Yoga
Is it safe to take Sulaharan Yoga?
This medicine contains Nux Vomica. It affects brain and heart. Therefore, it is highly recommended to take this medicine with due caution and UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION ONLY. This page is intended to give you correct information about this medicine. Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate. It is always better to start with low dose. Do check the list of ingredients and their side effects.
What is the Chief Indication of Sulaharan Yoga?
The most common use of this medicine is for colicky pain.
What is Effect on Vata-Pitta or Kapha?
- Vata Reducing.
- Pitta Increasing.
- Kapha Reducing.
Does it contain non-herbal ingredients?
It contains Sendha Namak and Sulphur.
How long can I take this medicine?
You may take it for 1-2 weeks ONLY.
What is the Best time to take Sulaharan Yoga?
It should be taken after meal. Try to take at same time daily.
Is Sulaharan Yoga a habit-forming medicine?
Is it safe to drive while taking Sulaharan Yoga?
If a person feels side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, hypotension, headache, or any symptoms affecting mental alertness, he or she must not drive or operate heavy machinery.
Can I take it during periods?
It can be taken. Avoid during periods, if you feel any effect on bleeding pattern.
Can I take it during pregnancy?
It is hot in potency. So, do not take.
Can a diabetic person take it?
Can I give it to children?
What happens in case of overdose?
It is UNSAFE in larger dose, immediately consult doctor.
When to consume Sulaharan Yoga, empty stomach, before food or after food?
It should be taken after food.