Table of Contents
Vasant Kusumakar Ras or Basant Kusumakar Ras is a herbo-mineral/metallic formulation or Ras Aushadhi of Ayurveda. It is a Rasayan or tonic. It contains Swarna, Rajat, Vanga, Naga, Lauha, Abhraka, Pravala and Mukta Bhasma, and processed in herbal ingredients.
The name of this medicine signifies, as the spring (Vasant) causes blossom (Kusum) in the plant similarly intake of this medicine gives new strength to body. It improves complexion and gives glow to skin. It is beneficial diabetes in all health conditions that arise due to ageing process. Vasant Kusumakar Ras is especially useful in many reproductive ailments of both male and female.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras is used in treatment of Prameha and Madhumeha or diabetes and its associated symptoms like general weakness, nervous weakness, peripheral neuritis, cataract and repeated infections.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras shows beneficial effects in male sexual problems like impotency, spermatorrhoea, premature ejaculation, nerves weakness etc. It is also indicated in some gynecological problems like Shwet pradar/leucorrhoea, Soma-Rog (watery discharge), prameha, abnormally heavy bleeding at menstruation, anemia, diseases of vagina and uterus etc.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras contains Swarna, Rajat, Vanga, Naga, Lauha, Abhraka, Pravala Bhasma, Mukta Bhasma, and herbal ingredients. It is indicated in chronic diseases such as diabetes and diabetic retinopathy and undoubtedly proved to be a good therapeutic option, BUT in long run it can prove disastrous because of excessive accumulation of heavy metals in kidneys owing to their long half-life and hence extended elimination characteristics.
Therefore, it is highly recommended to take this medicine only after consulting doctor and also to buy from a brand which has expertise and good quality control in making Ras Aushdhis.
Here is given more about Vasant Kusumakar Ras such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, dosage, how to take and side-effects. The Price of medicine is also given.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras is a costly remedy. One tab of Vasant Kusumakar Ras cost approximately Rs. 50.00. The medicine is available in pack of 10, 30, 50, 100 tablets etc.
- NOTE: Take this medicine strictly under medical supervision.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajyaratnavali
- Synonyms: Vasanta Kusumakara Rasa, Basant Kusumakar Ras, Vasant KusumaakR Ras
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Diabetes and associated symptoms like general weakness, nervous weakness, peripheral neuritis, cataract and repeated infections.
- Dosha Effect: Pacifies Vata, Pitta
- Anupaan: Take with milk, butter, honey or ghee. This helps the metals easily assimilable, eliminating their harmful effects and enhancing their biocompatibility.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
Name of ingredients Parts used Botanical or scientific names Amount used:
- Swarna Bhasma Calx. Gold 2 parts
- Rajat Bhasma Calx. Silver 2 parts
- Vang Bhasma Calx. Tin 3 parts
- Nag Bhasma Calx. Lead 3 parts
- Kantak (Kanta Loha) Bhasma Calx. Iron 3 parts
- Abhrak Bhasma Calx. Mica 4 parts
- Praval (Bhasma) Calx. Coral 4 parts
- Mauktik (Bhasma) Calx. Pearl 4 parts
- Go dugdha milk Cow milk Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Iksu rasa/juice Stem Saccharum officinarum Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Vasa rasa/juice Leaf Adhatoda vasica Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Laksa rasa/juice Exudate Lacciferlacca Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Udicya (sugandha balaka) rasa/juice Root Andropogan vetiveria Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Rambha kanda (kadali kanda) rasa Stem Musa paradisiacal Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Sata patra prasunaka rasa (gulaba puspa svarasa) Flower ext Nelumbium speciosum Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Malatikusumodaka Flower Jasminum grandiflorum Q.S. (for bhavana)
- Mrgamada (kasturi) Exudate Musk 4.81 mg (for bhavana)
Method of Preparation
Drugs 1 to 8 are mixed well and Bh¡vanas in drugs 9 to 16 are given separately one after the other. Kasturi is mixed in water and Bh¡van¡ in Kasturi Jala is given. It is ground well and stored in well stoppered bottle.
Bhasma are organo-metallic compounds in which the metal is calcinated along with various juices, decoction of herbal ingredients to form palatable complexes. Bhasma are prepared in a well explained, generalized classical format, Shodhana, Jarana and Marana (programmed heating through Puta system).
Abhrak Bhasma is the calcination of the mineral, mica. It is an established Rasayana (Rejuvenative tonic; nourishes all Dhatu and builds Ojas; promotes longevity by preventing aging and by making the body young again) of Ayurveda.
Abhrak Bhasma contains iron as major element and magnesium, potassium, calcium, and aluminum in traces. It is a broad-spectrum medicine effective in treatment of acidity, respiratory ailments, anemia, hepatitis, viral hepatitis, sex debility, azoospermia etc. Abhraka Bhasma It is a wonder drug due to its curative property in various ailments.
Mauktik Bhasma is prepared from Pearl. It is useful In Calcium Deficiency, All Kinds of Debility, Consumption, Nervousness, Chronic Fever, Cough, Asthma, Hysteria, Cardiac Tonic, Heart Diseases, Hemoptysis (Rakta Pitta), Indigestion, Seminal Diseases, Hemorrhage, Rickets, Diabetes Mellitus, Dysuria, Acid Peptic Disorder, Eye Disorders, As Mood Elevator, To Promote Strength, Intellect, and semen production.
Naga Bhasma (Nag Bhasma, Naag Bhasma) is one of the herbo-metallic preparations used in Ayurveda and claimed to possess broad spectrum of therapeutic efficacy. The preparation of Naga Bhasma involves thermal treatment of ‘Naga’ (metallic lead) in a series of quenching liquids, followed by reaction with realgar and herbal constituents, before calcination to prepare a fine product.
- It is beneficial in diabetes as it considerably reduces blood glucose level in diabetic patients.
- Improperly prepared Naga Bhasma leads to many complications. Naga Bhasma is safe in its therapeutic dose but negative effects of lead may arise, when the dosage crosses its safety level.
Vang Bhasma is incinerated tin. It is aphrodisiac, rejuvenator, appetizer, and gives strength. It cures diseases caused by vitiation of Kapha and pitta. It cures cough, worms, asthma, and oligospermia.
Kantak (Kanta Loha) Bhasma
Kantak Bhasma is an iron-based herbo-metallic preparation. It is Vayasthapana (anti-ageing), Lekhana (emaciating) and Rasayana (immunomodulator) properties. It increases strength, complexion and appetite. It cures diseases caused by vitiated Kapha and Pitta.
Swarna Bhasma, is incinerated gold. It is considered elixir. It is a Rasayana. It gives complexion, strength, and cures diseases caused by vitiation of Vata-Pitta -Kapha. It is used in management of Visha or poisoning. Swarn Bhasma is used in treatment of T.B., fever, cough, worms, low appetite, diseases of eyes, weakness of heart and poisoning.
- Rajat Bhasma / Rajata Bhasma / Raupya Bhasma, is a calcined bhasma of silver.
- It is given to strengthen the immune system and the body, and combating cardiovascular diseases. It is aphrodisiac, anti-aging, scraping, and rasayana. It gives strength and intellect.
- Rajat Bhasma is excellent medicine for Prameha, vitiligo, tuberculosis, cough, piles, and emaciation.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma of Vasant Kusumakar Ras
- Kantivardhak: Improves complexion
- Majja dhatu Rasayana: Rejuvenative to the nervous tissue
- Medha shakti vardhak: Intellect promoter
- Medhya: Promotes intellectual capacity
- Ojovardhana: Increases ojas
- Rasayana: Rejuvenative, alternative tonics, prevent or remove the effects of age, increase the vigour of healthy persons and cure the ailments of the sick
- Vajikark: Aphrodisiac
- Vatashamana: Pacifies vata and neurological disorders
- Vrishya: Increases sexual potency, the quantity of semen
- Yogvahi: Potentiating property when coadministered with other drugs
Vasant Kusumakar Ras Biomedical Action
- Alterative: alters the morbid or unhealthy processes of nutrition and excretion and restores the normal functioning.
- Antidiabetic: Controlling diabetes.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Hypoglycemic: Reducing level of the sugar glucose in the blood.
- Neuroprotective: Protects neuronal structure and/or function.
- Rejuvenator: Rejuvenates body.
- Tonic: Give a feeling of vigour or well-being.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras Health Benefits
- In Ayurvedic texts, Vasant Kusumakar Ras is described as a Rasayan which has ability to cure almost all diseases.
- It rejuvenates body.
- It acts as an intellect promoter, aphrodisiac, destroyer of diseases and one that gives strength in old age.
- It is specially indicated in the diseases, which cause loss of Dhatu such as all type of Prameha (diabetes), Polyuria (bahumutra), Somaroga (discharge of clear, white liquid from urethra of women only with little burning sensation causing emaciation, copious perspiration, excessive thirst, weakness, ), impotence, leucorrhoea, spermatorrhoea, Bleeding disorders etc.
- It is also co administered with other drugs (Yogvahi).
- It reduces side-effects of diabetes and works as rejuvenator.
- It helps in early wrinkling of skin (vali) and graying of hair (palita).
Vasant Kusumakar Ras Therapeutic Uses
Vasant Kusumakar Ras contains gold, silver, tin, lead and iron along with coral and pearl. It is given with sugar, honey and ghee for urinary diseases, impotence, gleet, diabetes, consumption and general debility. It is also a valuable alterative tonic in chronic gonorrhoea and spermatorrhoea.
This medicine is indicated in many conditions some of them are given below:
- Type 2 Diabetes (non-insulin dependent)
- Diabetes mellitus complications like Diabetic Neuropathy, Retinopathy, Hruddourbalya, Indriya Shaithilya, Napunsakata, Shwasa, Kasa, Amlapitta, Kshayaroga, Raktapitta, Shwetapradar, Dhatukshaya, Dourbalya
- Chronic bleeding disorder, rakta pradar, nakseer diabetic retinopathy
- Diseases related to reproductive organs of male and female
- Geriatric tonic
- Impotence, diseases related to sperms
- Krishya (Emaciation)
- Kshaya (Pthisis)
- Low grade fever of unknown reason
- Meha (Excessive flow of urine)
- Respiratory diseases, cough, tuberculosis
- Smriti Bhrama (Impairment of memory)
- Somaroga (Polyuria in females)
- Useful in Acid peptic disease when taken with Sugar and Chandan choorna
- Vali Palita (Wrinkles in skin and graying of hair)
- Weakness of heart, memory, lungs
Type 2 diabetes typically develops in adulthood. This condition occurs when the body either does not produce enough insulin or the insulin produced does not work efficiently.
Few important symptoms of diabetes are excessive urination, thirst, hunger and blurred vision.
For better management of diabetes:
- Make suitable Food choices + Be physical active + Take medicines if needed.
- Target sugar level Before meals 70 to 130 milligrams per decilitre (mg/dl) and 1 to 2 hours After the start of a meal less than 180 mg/dl.
- Eat fresh fruits which are low in sugar content.
- Eat non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, or green beans.
- Drink fat-free/low-fat milk or fat-free/low-fat/light yogurt.
- Do not eat too much carbohydrate in the diet as it converts into glucose.
Vasant Kusumakar Ras Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 125–250 mg once in the morning, before or after food.
- Traditionally it is administered along with honey, sugar or ghee.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
A Study done to know effect of chronic administration of Vasant Kusumakar Ras in Rats has concluded, this medicine should not be administered chronically.
After 28 days of chronic administration of medicine at a dose of 400 mg/kg, in rats the toxicological changes were noted. There was a statistically significant increase in serum total cholesterol (TC) and LDL-C level besides a statistically significant decrease in serum HDL-C level thus leading to a statistically significant increase of both Cardiac Risk Ratio (TC/HDL-C) and Castelli’s Risk Index (LDL-C/HDL-C).
There was a statistically significant increase in both bilirubin and creatinine level. Chronic administration revealed dyslipidemia, possible loss of liver function and kidney function as it increase Triglyceride, VLDL-C, LDL-C, Non-HDL-C, Bilirubin, creatinine and Uric acid and decreases HDL-C.
Another study concluded administration of Vasant Kusumakar Ras for long run can be disastrous because of excessive accumulation of heavy metals in kidneys owing to their long half-life and hence extended elimination characteristics.
Though the dosage used in studies are very high but side effects can happen in lower dose also. Therfore, it is highly recommended to use it cautiously to avoid any damage to body organs.
- It should not be used more than 1-2 months based on doctor’s prescription.
- Self-medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous, since it contains heavy metal ingredient.
- It should not be given to children.
- It must not be taken during pregnancy.
- Not to be taken in kidney diseases without doctor’s consultation.
- This medicine is not for Type 1 diabetes.
Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of same disease.
- Please note, this medicine is combination of calx of metals and minerals which can harm internal organs in high dose.
- This medicine is given in case of diabetes but it does not cure diabetes. It helps in controlling blood sugar level.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- In case person is suffering from other medical conditions, such as dieases of kidney, liver, or heart, he or she must consult doctor before taking this medicine.
- Overdose can damage organs.
- Sugar levels should be carefully monitored.
- In some cases, this medicine lowers sugar level very quickly.
- Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Keep bottle cap closed after every use.
Pharmacies Making Vasant Kusumakar Ras
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine and Price, is given below:
- Baidyanath Basantkusmakar Ras – 25 Tablets @ MRP Rs. 1,145.00
- Dabur Vasant Kusumakar Ras with Gold 30 Tablets @ Rs. 1,423.00
- Zandu Vasant Kusumakar Rasa 65 mg 10 Tablets @ Rs. 490.00
- Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited SDL Vasant Kusumakar Rasa 10 Tablets @ Rs. 571.00
- Patanjali Divya Pharmacy Divya Vasant Kusumakar Ras 1 gram @ Rs 347.00
- Manil Vasant Kusumakar Ras
- Sanjeevika Vasantkusumakar Ras
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.