Table of Contents
Majun Brahmi is an Unani brain tonic. It is semi-solid preparation brown in colour with sweet taste having aromatic smell. It is Muqawwi-e-Dimagh wa Hafiza (Brain tonic and memory enhancer). The drug is taken orally with water early morning on empty stomach.
In Unani medicine system, Majoon or Majun are confections or sweet preparations containing the powders of drugs given in particular formulation and solution of sugar or honey. Word Majun is derived from Ajn, which means to mix. In this preparation powder of drugs is mixed well in Qiwam of sugar or Asl (Honey).
The preparation of majun involves mixing of powder of drugs in a particular consistency of solution of sugar or honey. They are named according to the chief ingredient, inventor or action.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Hamdard Majun Brahmi MRP / Price: 1 Jar of 125 gram Rs 65/-
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Majun Brahmi
Majun Brahmi is a semi-solid preparation made with the ingredients in the formulation composition given below:
- Agar (Ood) Aquilaria agallocha Roxb., Heart wood 20 g
- Badiyan Foeniculum vulgare Mill., Fruit 40 g
- Brahmi Boti Bacopa monnieri (Linn.) Penn., Whole plant 200 g
- Banslochan Bambusa bambos (L.) Voss. Concretion 40 g
- Ilaichi khurd Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton, Fruit 20 g
- Darchini Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume, Stem bark 10 g
- Kishneez khushk Coriandrum sativum Linn., Fruit 40 g
- Mastagi Rumi Pistacia lentiscus Linn., Resin 20 g
- Maghz-e-Badam Shireen Prunus amygdalus Batsch., Seed 100 g
- Maghz-e-Pista Pistacia vera Linn., Seed 100 g
- Qiwam Shakar Sugar syrup Syrup 1.8 kg
Method of preparation:
- Take all the ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Powder all the ingredients number 1 to 10 in a grinder and pass through a sieve of mesh number 80.
- Prepare sugar syrup separately in a vessel and heat on fire till its consistency reaches 70-72 Brix.
- Mix the powdered drugs in the syrup and stir till all the ingredients are completely homogenized.
- Discontinue heating and allow it to cool.
Know the Ingredients of Majun Brahmi
Brahmi / Bacopa monnieri (often confused with its close relative Gotu kola Centella asiatica) which is also called Brahmi in Northern India), is bitter (Tikta), astringent (Kashaya) in taste (Ras), light (Laghu), unctuous (Snigdha) in qualities (Guna). It is pungent (Katu) after digestion (Vipak) and Cool in potency. Brahmi balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha Dosha. It works on seven Dhatu of body. Brahmi is especially beneficial for mind. It is a nervine tonic, sedative, rejuvenative, anticonvulsant and anti-inflammatory. In Ayurveda, it is indicated in mental weakness, anxiety, skin disorders, and fever. It is a memory vitalizer and nervine tonic.
- Rasa (Taste on Tongue): Bitter/Titka, Astringent/Kashaya
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Light/Laghu, Unctuous/Snigdha
- Virya (Action): Cooling/Sheeta
- Vipaka (Transformed State After Digestion): Pungent/Katu
- Dosha: Vata-Pitta and Kapha Balancing
- Tissue/Dhatu: All Seven, Especially Plasma, Blood, Nerve
Brahmi is adaptogenic, astringent, diuretic, sedative, potent nervine tonic, anti-anxiety agent, and improves mental functions. It is used in insanity, epilepsy, bronchitis, asthma and diarrhea. Brahmi is chiefly used in mental disorders as brain tonic.
Brahmi increases GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) level in brain. GABA is an amino acid / brain chemical or neurotransmitter that sends signals from nerve cell to a specific target cell. Low level of this chemical or GABA deficiency causes stress, mood disorders, depression, insomnia, hypertension and anxiety.
Brahmi and Shankhpushpi possess properties similar to nootropic agents. They are cooling in nature and reduces excessive heat inside body, stress, and anger.
Saunf or Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), is appetizer, stimulant, carminative, galactagogue, and stomachic and given for relieving flatulence, griping of the bowels and stomachache. It is useful in colic pain, vomiting, flatulence, indigestion, fullness, loss of appetite, burning syndrome, biliousness, anorexia and diseases due to vitiated blood.
Vamsalochana/ Vanshlochan/ Bamboo Manna is Ayurvedic name of medicinal tree Bambusa arundinacea.
The siliceous concretion found in the joints of the female bamboo is called Vamsalochana/ Bansa rochana in Sanskrit. It occurs as a bluish white translucent mass. It has sweet, cooling, tonic, expectorant, haemostatic, aphrodisiac, diuretic and anti-cough properties.
It is useful in cough, consumption, asthma, bronchitis, fever etc. It is added in composition of numerous compound prescriptions used for affections of the lungs.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet),
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
- Dosha effect: Reduces Vata-Pitta-Kapha, but increases Kapha when taken in excess
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, nerve
- Srotas (channel): Respiratory, nervous
Rumi Mastagi (Pistacia lentiscus Linn.) resin is analgesic, antitussive, astringent, carminative, diuretic, expectorant, hepatic, sedative, a mild stimulant and stomachic. It removes the catarrh of the urinary passage and helps in genital debility and in seminal weakness.
Pista or Pistachio nuts are rich source of antioxidants. They contains soluble fibers and sterols. Taking Pista helps to lower LDL or bad cholesterol. They are good source of B vitamins, minerals and protein. They are rich in potassium and support lowering of blood pressure.
Almond is used to cure debility, wasting diseases, emaciation, anemia and as a revitalizing tonic. It has nutritive, nervine, aphrodisiac, demulcent, laxative, rejuvenative properties. It promotes good health, strength and semen.
Benefits of Majun Brahmi
- It contains many dry fruits and is very nutritious.
- It gives relief in nervous debility, mental and physical exhaustion.
- It gives relief in pain in muscles.
- It has nutritive, aphrodisiac, laxative and nervine action.
- It has significant antioxidant property and therefore helps to improve overall health.
- It improves body immunity to fight recurrent infection.
- It improves quantity, quality and retention time of semen in body.
- It is a tonic.
- It is excellent for brain.
- It is rich in vitamins, minerals, oils, protein and fiber.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Majun Brahmi
Majun Brahmi is Muqavvi Aasab (Nervine tonic: tone up the nerves) and improves brain faculties.
- Brain tonic
- Brain Tonic and stimulant
- Concentration and learning problem
- Mental weakness
- Mood disorders
- Nervous strain
- Sleeplessness / insomnia
- Speech difficulties
- To nourish and improve the nervous system
- Use in mania, epilepsy
- Zof-e-Dimagh (Weakness of brain)
- Zof-e-Hafiza (Weakness of memory)
Dosage of Majun Brahmi
- Majun Brahmi should be taken orally in dose of 5-10 grams.
- It should be taken with water early morning on empty stomach.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- There are no known side-effects of medicine.
- It is heavy to digest and may cause bloating and constipation.
- It helps to gain weight.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- There is no known contraindication for this medicine.
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
- There are no known side-effects for this medicine.
Hamdard Laboratories (India)
Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.