Table of Contents
Majoon-e-Azaraqi (Majun Azaraqi) is an Unani medicine most commonly prescribed for the ailments of nerve, hemiplegia, lukwa, facial paralysis, tremor, trembling, tremors, sciatica, rheumatism, epilepsy syphilis, and neurasthenia.
Majoon-e-Azaraqi is prepared from 15 ingredients. In Unani medicine system, Majoon or Majun are confections or sweet preparations containing the powders of drugs given in particular formulation and solution of sugar or honey. Word Majun is derived from Ajn, which means to mix. In this preparation powder of drugs is mixed well in Qiwam of sugar or Asl (Honey).
The preparation of majun involves mixing of powder of drugs in a particular consistency of solution of sugar or honey. They are named according to the chief ingredient, inventor or action. The principle ingredient of this medicine is Azaraqi Mudabba and hence it is named Majun e Azaraqi. Azaraqi Mudabba referes to the seeds of Strychnos nuxvomica Linn.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonyms: MAJOON-E-AZARAQI
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Indications: musculoskeletal and nervous disorders
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Price: Hamdard Majun Azaraqi @ Rs. 120.00
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Majun Azaraqi
- Azaraqi Mudabbar Strychnos nuxvomica Linn. Seed 30g
- Berg-e-Gaozaban Borago officinalis Linn. Leaf 20g
- Ustukhuddus Lavandula stoechas Linn. Flower 15g
- Kateera Cochlospermum religiosum Linn. Gum 15g
- Narjeel Cocos nucifera Linn. Endosperm 15g
- Maghz-e-Chilghoza Pinus gerardiana Wall. Kernel 15g
- Dana Heel Khurd Eletarria cardamomum (L.) Maton Seed 10g
- Zarambad Curcuma zeodaria Linn. Rhizome 10g
- Shaqaq-ul-Misri Pastinaca secacul Linn. Rhizome 10g
- Sandal Safaid Santalum album Linn. Heartwood 10g
- Aamla Emblica officinalis Gaertn. Fruit 10g
- Halela Siyah Terminalia chebula Retz. Fruit 10g
- Ood Hindi Aquilaria agallocha Roxb. Heartwood 5g
- Qaranfal Syzygium aromaticum (L.) Merr. L M Perry Flower bud 5g
- Qand Safaid Sugar 675g
Method of Preparation
- All the ingredients were taken of pharmacopoeial quality.
- The ingredient number 1 to 4 and 7 to 14 were cleaned, dried, powdered and sieve through 80 mesh and kept separately.
- Ingredient number 5 and 6 were coarsely powdered and sieve through 60 mesh.
- Qand Safaid was dissolved in 750 ml of water on slow heat; at the boiling stage 0.1% citric acid was added and mixed thoroughly.
- The content was boiled and added the 0.1% sodium benzoate at 72% consistency of quiwam and mixed well.
- Then quiwam was recorrected of 77% consistency.
- Then the vessel was removed from the fire, while hot condition mixed powder of ingredient number 1 to 14 was added and mixed thoroughly to prepare the homogenous product. Finally, it was cooled to room temperature and packed in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Know the Ingredients
Azaraqi Mudabbar, Kuchla, Nux Vomica, Poison Nut, Semen Strychnos, or Strychnos nux-vomica, is useful in improving digestion and removal of toxic substances. It also strengthens the nervous system and muscular coordination, thereby helps in strengthening of muscles, joints and bones.
It alleviates Vata and pain and because of its sharpness, it stimulates and strengthens nerves. Useful in vata disorders like neuralgia, facial palsy, hemiplegia, insomnia. Being bitter and pungent, it is a good appetizer, digestive and astringent. Dribbling of the urine due to atonicity of bladder is corrected by it. It cures the laxity of body tissue.
Kuchila Seeds are nervine, stomachic, and cardio-tonic, aphrodisiac, and respiratory stimulant. It is used as a remedy in chronic dysentery, paralytic and neuralgic disorders, epilepsy, rheumatic arthritis, and hydrophobia.
In excessive doses, Strychnos is a virulent poison, producing stiffness of muscles and convulsions, ultimately leading to death. Strychnos nux-vomica Linn. has stimulating effects on respiratory and vasomotor centers. It has direct depressant effect on the heart and inhibits the release of acetylcholine. It acts on cerebral cortex and peripheral nerves and show marked hyperactivity. It is Toxic. Poisoning can generate anxiety, backache, enhanced reflexes, equilibrium disorders, heightened sense perception, pain, and stiff neck, then convulsions, dyspnea, and twitching.
Large doses of nux vomica cause tetanic convulsions and eventually death results. Even with safe doses there may be some mental derangement. Long-term intake strychnine can cause liver damage.
In the case of toxic symptoms of Strychnos nux-vomica, a leaf paste of Abrus precatorius along with gruel of arrow root (Maranta arundinacea) powder is given.
Benefits of Majun Azaraqi
- It is Muqavvi Meda (Gastric tonic).
- It is Muqavvi Masana (Urinary bladder tonic).
- It is Muqavvi Aasab (Nervine tonic).
- It is Muqavvi Baah (Aphrodisiac).
- Abortifacient: Induces abortion.
- Cholinolytic: Blocking the action of acetylcholine (neurotransmitter, is the chief neurotransmitter of the parasympathetic nervous system, the part of the autonomic nervous system that contracts smooth muscles, dilates blood vessels, increases bodily secretions, and slows heart rate).
- Stimulant: Temporarily increase alertness and energy.
- Decongestant: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Emmenagogue: Stimulates or increases menstrual flow.
- Nervine stimulant: Gently and nourishingly tone or activate the nerves.
- Psychoanaleptic: To increase temporarily the activity.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Majun Azaraqi
Majun Azaraqi is indicated in sciatica, paralyis, facial paralysis, tremors, joint pain, hemiplegia and other similar conditions. It strengthens and stimulates the nerves, heart and brain. It is also indicated in syphilis, rheumatism and gout.
- Amraz Asbania Balghamia (Nervine, Phlegmatic Diseases)
- Atishak (Syphilis)
- Chorea (neurological disorder characterized by jerky involuntary movements affecting especially the shoulders, hips, and face)
- Falij (Paralysis)
- Irqunnisa (Sciatica)
- Laqva (Facial Palsy)
- Niqras (Gout)
- Rasha (Tremer)
- Sara (Epilepsy)
- Wajaul Mafasil (Arthralgia)
- Weakness of nerves
Dosage of / How to use Majun Azaraqi
- Majun Azaraqi should be taken orally in dose of 3-5 grams, with warm milk.
- It is to be taken two times a day.
- Take this after meal.
Hamdard Laboratories (India)
Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
- This medicine is not suitable for long term use.
- Take ONLY after consulting doctor.
- If symptoms do not improve or worsen, consult doctor.
- Nux vomica can increase blood pressure, heart rate and heart contractions.
- Nux vomica can cause hyperacidity.
- Nux vomica can cause giddiness or dizziness.
- Extensive of Nux vomica can cause nervous disability, paralysis & weakness of limbs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- It must not be used in liver diseases, kidney diseases and urine retention.
- It should not be used in hypertension.
- It must not be used in high fever.
- It is contraindicated in following conditions:
- Nasal haemorrhages
- Acute flatulence
- Burning urination
- Urinary incontinence
- Inflammation of the urethra
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding