Table of Contents
Salam Pak is an herbal health tonic. The main ingredient of this formulation is Salep Orchid. Salep Orchid refers to the tuberous roots of many species of orchid plants found in cooler climates. The powder of tuberous roots is used in Ayurveda and Unani system of medicine in treatment of wasting diseases, diabetes, chronic diarrhea, dysentery, nervous or sexual debility, hemiplegia, paralysis, general weakness, diarrhea (particularly in children), indigestion, heartburn, flatulence, and impotence.
Salep mainly acts on nerves, marrow, blood and reproductive system. It is a restorative and invigorative tonic. It is considered nutritive, demulcent, aphrodisiac and nervine tonic in Unani. It is contains mucilage (upto 50%) and hence used in irritation of gastrointestinal tracts.
The other important ingredients of this medicine are Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Bada Gokhru, Priyal, Pista and Walnut. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: General Winter tonic
- Suitable for: Male and Female
Ingredients of Salam Pak
Salab panja (Orchis latifolia) 400 grams
- Pistachio 200 grams
- Almond 200 grams
- Priyala (Buchanania latifolia) 100 grams
- Walnut 100 grams
- Safed Musli Chlorophytum 100 grams
- Bada Gokhru (Pedalium) 50 grams
- Ashwagandha Withania somnifera 20 grams
- Talamkhana (Hygrophila spinosa) 20 grams
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) 20 grams
- Gum mastagi roomi (Pistacia lentiscus) 20 grams
- Kevanch Giri (Mucuna) 20 grams
- Kesar (saffron) 10 grams
- Jaiphal (Nutmeg) 10 grams
- Lavang (clove) 10 grams
- Javitri (Mace) 10 grams
- Kabab Cheeni (Piper cubeba) 10 grams
- Vanshlochan (Bamboo manna) 10 grams
- Dalchini (Cinnamon) 10 grams
- Quince (Cydonia vulgaris) seed 10 grams
- Sugar 1.250 Kg
- Ghee 400 grams
Take Salab Panja, Pistachio, Almond, Priyala Kernel, Walnut, Safed Musli, Bada Gokhru, Ashwagandha, Talamkhana, Shatawari , Gum Mastagi Roomi, Kevanch Giri, Keshar (Saffron), Jaiphal (Nutmeg), Lavang (Clove), Javitri (Mace), Kabab Cheeni , Vanshlochan, Dalchini, Quince Seed, Sugar and Ghee.
Grind Salep separately into a fine powder and roast it with a low heat with a small amount of ghee until the salep turns light brown in colour.
Make a paste of the remaining dry fruits and fry them in the remaining ghee.
Make a sugar syrup and add it to the above cooked salep, dry fruits, herbs and spices.
About the Ingredients
The chief ingredient of Salam Pak is Salep or Salem panja. The tubers of many species of orchids are known as Salep and used as a tonic, restorative and aphrodisiac. Salep is sweet in taste and is highly nutritious. It is used in Unani medicine for treatment of nervous disorders and impotency.
Almond is used to cure debility, wasting diseases, emaciation, anemia and as a revitalizing tonic. It has nutritive, nervine, aphrodisiac, demulcent, laxative, rejuvenative properties. It promotes good health, strength and semen.
Pista or Pistachio nuts are rich source of antioxidants. They contains soluble fibers and sterols. Taking Pista helps to lower LDL or bad cholesterol. They are good source of B vitamins, minerals and protein. They are rich in potassium and support lowering of blood pressure.
Walnut is excellent dry fruit for brain. It has nutritive, aphrodisiac, laxative and nervine action. Walnuts are high in potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, reduces serum cholesterol.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal.) is an excellent rejuvenator, a general health tonic and a cure for a number of health complaints. It is a nervine tonic, alterative, aphrodisiac, deobstruent (having the property of removing obstruction in any system of the human body) and a sedative. It enhances spermatogenesis via a presumed testosterone-like effect. It helps in all sexual problems.
Gokshura is useful in treatment of different ailments of male reproductive system. It causes 50 per cent increase in testosterone levels and improved reproductive function. It is cooling in effect, having diuretic, tonic and aphrodisiac.
Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivillianum) is nutritive tonic, aphrodisiac, rejuvenator, antioxidant and Immunomodulator.
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus Willd.) enhance fertility by reducing oxidative stress. It helps in oligospermia, necrospermia, less motile, unhealthy sperms. It reduces acidity and inflammation.
Kevanch, Mucuna prurita, Kapikacchu,Markati, Kewanch, Kaunch or Cowhage is the seed kernel obtained from an extensive climbing plant found almost all over the country. In Ayurveda, it is used in treatment of variety of diseases including Kapha Vikar, Vata-Vikar, debility and nerves weakness. Mucuna is a good source for the production of L-dopa (L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine). It is used to improve sexual function and the quality of semen in infertile men. It improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus, pituitary and gonadal axis. It reduces stress. Mucuna seed powder helps to fight stress-mediated poor semen quality, and acts as a restorative and invigorator tonic or aphrodisiac.
Benefits of Salam Pak
- It gives relief in nervous debility, mental and physical exhaustion.
- It contains many dry fruits and is very nutritious.
- It improves quantity, quality and retention time of semen in body.
- It gives relief in pain in muscles.
- It is a tonic.
- It improves body immunity to fight recurrent infection.
- It is rich in vitamins, minerals, oils, protein and fiber.
- It has significant antioxidant property and therefore helps to improve overall health.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Salam Pak
- Digestive impairment
- Mental and physical weaknesses
- Pain in muscles
- Sexual inadequacy
Dosage of Salam Pak
- 1 or 2 teaspoon, twice a day with milk or as directed by physician. It is heavy to digest so the dose also varies according to digestive strength.
- Do not eat chilies, acids, very spicy foods, sour food items, alcohol.
- Avoid staying awake through the night.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- There are no known side-effects of medicine.
- It is heavy to digest and may cause bloating and constipation.
- It helps to gain weight.
Pharmacies Making Salam Pak
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Vyas Pharmaceuticals
- Aayur Rattan Herbals