Kaunch Pak is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine for improving overall health. The chief ingredient of this medicine is seeds of Kaunch. Kaunch or Kevanch (Mucuna prurita) seeds are obtained from an extensive climbing plant found almost all over the country. It is also known as Kapikacchu, Markati, Kewanch, Kaunch and Cowhage. The main constituent of Kaunch seeds are Fixed Oil, Alkaloid and 3, 4-Dihydroxyphenylalanine. It is cool in potency. It is Madhura, Tikta (Ras), Guru, Snigdha (Guna) and Madhur Vipak.
In Ayurveda, Kaunch is used in treatment of variety of diseases including Kapha Vikar, Vata-Vikar, debility and nerves weakness. Mucuna is a good source for the production of L-dopa (L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine). L-DOPA is a direct precursor to dopamine, and its supplementation can increase dopamine levels in the body. L-Dopa has been considered one of the most effective treatments of Parkinson’s disease available.
Mucuna seed powder is especially used to improve sexual function and the quality of semen in infertile men. It improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus, pituitary and gonadal axis. It reduces stress. Mucuna seed helps to fight stress-mediated poor semen quality, and acts as a restorative and invigorator tonic or aphrodisiac.
Kaunch is one of the main ingredient of male fertility boosting Ayurvedic medicines because of its aphrodisiac, spermatogenic, retentive, tonic, laxative, and stress reducing properties.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Ayurvedic ‘Pak’
- What is Ayurvedic Pak: Formulations containing milk, ghee, dry fruits, herbs, minerals and spices and used as tonic or aphrodisiacs.
- Main Indication: Weakness
- Suitable for: Males and also for females (as a general tonic)
Ingredients of Kaunch Pak
Kevanch seeds, Go Dugdha, Go Ghrita, Vanshlochan, Safed Musli, Safed Jira, Lavang, Jivanti, Jatiphala, Karanja Giri, Priyangu, Gajpippali, Bilva, Ajowan, Akarkara, Samudra shosha and Trikatu (Pippali, Kali Mirch, Sunthi) and Chaturjat (Tejpatra, Dalchini, Elaichi, Nagkesar)
- Kevanch seeds are soaked in water for 12 hrs. Then the seed coat is removed and the seeds are dried in sunlight.
- After drying the seeds are ground to make powder which is stored in air tight container.
- Mix seed powder (1280 grams) with 16 times of Gau Dugdha and boil it, till it reduces to 2/5th of the original quantity.
- Add two times ghee and cook it at moderate temperature.
- Take four times sugar and prepare its syrup.
- Add the syrup to the initial mixture.
- Add powder of Vanshlochan, Safed Musli, Safed Jira, Lavang, Jivanti, Jatiphala, Karanja Giri, Priyangu, Gajpippali, Bilva, Ajowan, Akarkara, Samudra shosha and Pippali, Kali Mirch, Sunthi (Trikatu) and Tejpatra, Dalchini, Elaichi, Nagkesar (Chaturjat) (each ingredient 20 grams). Let it cool.
- Add 640 gms of honey and kesar.
Vamsalochana / Vanshlochan / Bamboo Manna, Vansa is Ayurvedic name of medicinal tree Bambusa arundinacea. The siliceous concretion found in the joints of the female bamboo is called Vamsalochana / Bansa rochana in Sanskrit. It occurs as a bluish white translucent mass. It has sweet, cooling, tonic, expectorant, haemostatic, aphrodisiac, diuretic and anti-cough properties.
Musli is considered natural Viagra or Indian Ginseng. It is a fertility booster which nourishes the tissues of the mind, nervous and reproductive systems. As per Ayurveda, it is immunity booster, vaajikarak, Rasayan and a general health tonic mainly working on reproductive and respiratory system.
Akarkara / Pellitory, is nervine tonic, powerful irritant and sialogogue (promotes the secretion of saliva).
Trikatu is combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper (Sonth + Pippali + Kali mirch). It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Chaturjat Churna is formed by mixing of Dalchini (bark Cinamonum zeylanicum), Ela (seeds of Elletaria cardamomum), Tejpatta (leaves of Cinnamomum tamal) and Nagkesar (flowers of Mesua ferrea). Traditionally Chaturjat is prescribed for improving appetite, promoting digestion, curing hepatic and renal disorders. It is ruksha, teekshna, laghu and ushna veerya.
Benefits of Kaunch Pak
- It increases vitality, vigour and stamina.
- It improves strength and immunity.
- It is a tonic that cures emaciation and general debility.
- It is a nervine tonic.
- It is very nutritive. It enhances libido and fertility in both the sexes.
- It has aphrodisiac property and hence improves libido.
- It supports better erection and promotes fertility.
- It helps in low count and quality.
- It is also helpful in correcting menstrual cycle related disorders.
- It is a Rasayan. Women can take this for improving fertility and to provide strength to uterus.
- It improves mental power.
- It improves appetite, digestion and assimilation.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Kaunch Pak
- As a health tonic
- Chronic Urinary tract infections
- Diseases due to Vata imbalance
- Impotency, spermatorrhoea
- Low Vitality, vigor
- Loss of stamina
- Low Libido
- Nervous weakness
- Sexual debility
Dosage of Kaunch Pak
Take one teaspoonful with milk. This medicine can be taken twice a day, in morning and evening.
Or take as directed by physician.
Pharmacies Making Kaunch Pak
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Vyas Kaunch Pak (R.T.S) 200gms Price: Rs 175.00
- Dindayal Kaunch Pak Powder 250 gms Price: INR 175.00
- Kamdhenu Kaunch Pak 500 gms Price: Rs. 290.00
- Patiala Ayurvedic Pharmacy Konch Pak
- Sadhna Kounch Pak
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
There are no known side-effects of medicine.