Himalaya Arjuna is pure herb extract of Arjuna. The Latin name of Arjun tree is Terminalia arjuna. The bark of Arjun tree is used since time immemorial to treat cardiovascular disorders including angina pectoris, congestive heart failure, left ventricular mass and hyperlipidaemia, coronary artery disease, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia and dropsy.
The main constituents of the bark are triterpenoid saponins, arjunic acid, arjunolic acid, arjungenin, arjun glycosides, high levels of flavonoids (arjunone, arjunolone, luteolin and quercetin), polyphenols (gallic acid, ellagic acid) and oligomeric proanthocyanidins.
The bark of Arjun is astringent, sweet, acrid, cooling, aphrodisiac, urinary astringent, and expectorant. It is a cardiotonic and improves blood supply to heart. Arjun Bark is used in ulcer treatment, fractures, cirrhosis of liver, ischemic heart disease, and hypertension. It may also affect thyroid function, and helps in both hyper or hypo activity.
Clinical studies also confirm the benefits of Arjuna for heart. In a controlled clinical study 12 patients with severe refractory congestive heart failure (class IV NYHA) received an extract (500 mg every 8 hours) from the bark of Terminalia arjuna or placebo for 2 weeks. Those receiving the medicinal plant experienced, according to echocardiographic evaluation, statistically significant improvements in several parameters of cardiac function, such as end-systolic volume and left ventricular ejection fraction. Another study done on animal exhibited, various extracts caused lowered blood pressure, bradycardia and positively inotropic effects in animal experiments.
Why Arjuna is good for heart?
- It is a cardio protective and cardio-tonic.
- It is useful in all types of heart disorders.
- It helps in uneasiness and palpitation.
- It gives relief from frequent angina pain.
- It helps to lower high cholesterol level.
- It stimulates the heart.
- It increases circulation.
- It nourishes heart muscle.
- It helps to regulates heartbeat.
- It helps to prevent arterial clogging, reduces blood clots, reverses hardening of the blood vessels.
- It lowers the blood pressure in hypertension. But it does not mean it will also reduce blood pressure in normal blood pressure person. In normotensive person, it has no effect.
- Arjuna is especially effective when cardiac disease is with edema. It has high amount of calcium salts and this helps in case of bone fractures. Arjuna can be taken as a tonic and also along with allopathic medicines.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer / Brand: Himalaya Drug Company
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Pure Herb extract of Arjuna
- Main Indication: Hypertension, cardiovascular ailments
- Srotas / Channel: Circulatory, reproductive
- Dosha Effect: Tridoshic, Reduces Kapha and Pitta
- MRP/Price: Himalaya Arjuna 60 Capsules @ Rs 110.00.
Ingredients of Himalaya Arjuna
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Arjuna
Hard gelatin capsule of green colour
Arjuna is Kashaya / astringent, Tikta / bitter, in taste (Rasa), Katu / pungent after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya).
It is a Sheet Virya herb. Sheet Virya or Cool potency herb, subdues Pitta (Bile), gives nourishment to body and supports building of body fluids.
- Rasa (taste): Astringent, bitter
- Virya (energy): Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Guna (quality): Light, dry
It is a Katu Vipak herb. Vipak refers to post-digestive (effect after digestion / cooking of Rasa) effect of tastes after its mixing with digestive juices. It is the long term effect of herb.
Katu Viapk herbs, increase dryness in body. Such foods reduce fertility and Kapha. Excess intake of such foods aggravate Vata and gas in body.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Hrdaya: Tonic effect on the heart
- Kaphapittajit: Cures Pitta and Kapha
- Medahara: Reduces fat tissue
- Mutravirechana: Diuretic
- Pramehaghna: Helps in urinary disorders.
- Raktashodhana: Purifies blood
- Vajikaran: Aphrodisiac
- Varnya: Heal ulcers.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Anti-obesity: Reducing or controlling obesity.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Cardiac: Related to heart.
- Cardioprotective: Protects heart.
- Hypolipidemic: Lowers lipid level in blood.
Benefits of Himalaya Arjuna
- It has positive inotropic and hypotensive effect.
- It increases the coronary artery flow and protects the myocardium against ischemic damage.
- It has strong antioxidant action.
- It has mild diuretic properties.
- It reduces clot formation.
- It enhances prostaglandin E(2) levels and lowers blood lipid levels
Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Arjuna
- As an adjuvant in ischemic heart disease
- Hypertriglyceridemia (high triglyceride levels in the blood)
- Mild to moderate hypertension, angina, congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmia,
- As a preventive medicine to patients susceptible to ischemic heart disease
- Heart Tonic
- Reducing total cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Dosage of Himalaya Arjuna
- The recommended dosage of medicine is One capsule.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with water.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- It should not be used during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- Avoid in constipation.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humors, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Pure Herbs are recommended for children ages 14 and above.