Himalaya Vasaka is pure herb extract of Vasaka (Malabar Nut Tree/Adhatoda zeylanica). The leaves, flowers, fruits and roots of Vasaka are used in Ayurveda for treating cold, cough, whooping-cough, chronic bronchitis, asthma and against allergen-induced bronchial obstruction due to its anti-inflammatory, antitussive and bronchodilatory action.
Vasaka contains the pyrroquinazoline alkaloids, including vasicine, vasicol and vasinone. Vasicine and vasinone are the major bioactive constituents of Vasaka which have bronchodilatory and antitussive properties.
In Ayurveda, Vasa is a specific herb for treating asthma and for reducing phlegm. It is mainly indicated in conditions of high Pitta and Kapha.
In some parts of country, Vasa is used to cause abortion and to reduce fertility. Some research suggests that adhatoda may stimulate UTERINE CONTRACTIONS, so it is not recommended in pregnancy. One animal study investigating oral administration of leaf extracts showed 100% abortive rates at doses equivalent to 175 mg/kg of starting dry material. Another study found the extract had ANTI-IMPLANTATION ACTIVITY in 60–70% of test animals.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer / Brand: Himalaya Drug Company
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Pure Herb extract of Arusa
- Main Indication: Respiratory disorders, colds, cough, chronic bronchitis and asthma
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, fat
- Srotas / Channel: Respiratory, circulatory, digestive.
- Dosha Effect: reduces Kapha and Pitta But increases Vata
- MRP/Price: Himalaya Vasaka 60 Capsules @₹ 135.00
Ingredients of Himalaya Vasaka Capsules
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Vasaka
- Sanskrit: Vrisha, Atarusha, Vasaka
- Assamese: Titabahak, Bahak, Vachaka
- Bengali: Baksa, Vasaka
- English: Vasaka
- Gujrati: Aduso, Ardusi, Adulso
- Hindi: Aduss, Arusa
- Kannada: Adsale, Adusoge, Atarusha, Adsole, Adasale
- Kashmiri: Vasa
- Malayalam: Attalatakam, Atalotakam
- Marathi: Vasa, Adulsa
- Oriya: Basanga
- Punjabi: Bhekar, Vansa, Arusa
- Tamil: Vasambu, Adathodai
- Telugu: Addasaramu
- Urdu: Adusa, Basa
Constituents of Vasa
- Alkaloids: Vasicine, vasicinone,
- vasicinol, maiontone
- Essential oil: Ketone
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Vasa, Adhatoda, Malabar Nut Tree, Vasa, Vasaka (Adhatoda zeylanica, Justicia adhatoda or Adhatoda vasica) is used in Ayurveda for treatment of cough. It has antispasmodic, antiseptic, antitussive, hepatoprotective, immunomodulating and cough suppressant properties.
- Rasa (taste): Bitter/Tikta, astringent/Kashaya
- Virya (energy): Cold/ Sheet
- Vipka (post-digestive effect): Pungent/ Katu
- Guna (quality): Light/Laghu, dry/Ruksha
- Kasahara: Antitussive herb
- Shvasahara: Prevent breathing difficulties
- Svedopaga: Induce sweating
- Udara prashamana: Antiallergenic
- Chardi nigrahana: Prevents nausea
- Jvaraghna: Reduces fever
- Raktapittahara: Prevents bleeding
- Raktaprasadana: Nourishes blood
- Hridaya: Heart tonic
- Kushtahaghna: Alleviates skin diseases
- Anti-allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Anti-asthmatic: Treat or prevent asthma attacks.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Anti-cough: Reduces cough.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antimicrobial: Active against microbes.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Antitussive: Prevent or relieve a cough.
- Bronchodilator: Causes widening of the bronchi, for example any of those taken by inhalation for the alleviation of asthma.
- Decongestant: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
Benefits of Himalaya Vasaka Capsules
- It has expectorant and heating action due to which it reduces cough and aids the mobilization of mucus.
- It gives relief in congestion and coughing.
- It loosens the mucus.
- It has calming and dilating the lung’s airways, thus relieving chest congestion.
- It improves lung functions.
- It gives relief in respiratory distress.
- It improves appetite.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Vasaka Capsules
- Bleeding from ulcers, menorrhagia, epistaxis and the gingivitis with high pitta
- Bronchial asthma
- Congestion and coughing
- Productive cough
- Symptomatic relief in tuberculosis and pulmonary infections
Dosage of Himalaya Vasaka Capsules
- The recommended dosage of medicine is One capsule.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It should be taken after meal.
- It is to be taken with water.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- It should not be used during pregnancy.
- Avoid in high Vata.
- It should only be used under the medical guidance.
- To be used only for short-term (up to 6 weeks maximum).
- Excess use can cause hypotension.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Pure Herbs are recommended for children ages 14 and above.