Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- 2 Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Haridra
- 3 Biomedical Action
- 4 Benefits of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- 5 Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- 6 Dosage of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- 7 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
Himalaya Haridra Capsules is pure herb extract of Haridra or Turmeric. The Latin name of Haldi is Curcuma longa.
Haridra is used in every Indian kitchen as spice. It has great therapeutic value as well. Its use for improving skin complexion and condition is well known. When taken internally, Haridra protects against innumerable diseases. It reduces cholesterol, the increase of liver enzymes SGOT and SGPT and gastric acid secretion.
If someone is suffering from recurrent allergic respiratory disorders like allergic rhinitis, allergic bronchitis and skin allergies and urticaria, he or she must take haridra for few months. This cures such allergic problems from root.
Haldi has significant anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, liver protecting and chemopreventive effects (inhibition of tumour formation, promotion, progression and dissemination in many animal models). It works effectively in degenerative diseases with an inflammatory or oxidative basis like type 2 diabetes, arthritis, heart diseases, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer / Brand: Himalaya Drug Company
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Pure Herb extract of Curcuma longa
- Main Indication: Allergy
- Dhatu (tissue): All the tissues
- Srotas (channel): Digestive, circulatory, respiratory, female reproductive
- MRP/Price: Himalaya Haridra 60 Capsules @ Rs. 110
Ingredients of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
Each capsule contains: Haridra (Curcuma longa) rhizome powder – 400 mg.
Constituents of Haridra or Turmeric
Volatile oil (3-5%): alpha- and beta-tumerone (aroma source), artumerone, alpha- and gamma-atlantone, curlone, zingiberene, curcumol
Curcuminoids (3-5%): curcumin (diferuloylmethane (sometimes referred to as curcumin or curcumin I), desmethoxycurcumin (curcumin II), bisdesmethoxycurcumin (curcumin III) and cyclocurcumin (curcumin IV))
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Haridra
Haridra (also known as Rajni, Nisha, Nishi, Haldi, Haladhi, Turmeric) consists of the dried and cured rhizomes of Curcuma longa Linn. It mainly contains essential oil and curcumin.
Haridra is a broad spectrum medicine effective in indigestion, poor circulation, cough, cold, flu, skin disorders, diabetes, arthritis, Madhumeha, swelling, fever, bacterial infection, intestinal worms, liver complaints, stammering, filaria, sprain, boils, wounds, conjunctivitis, thirst due to phlegm, allergic reactions etc.
It is bitter/ Tikta, and pungent/Katu in taste (Rasa), pungent/Katu after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya). It is Ruksha (drying) in quality (Guna). Turmeric alleviates Vata and Kapha by virtue of its hot energy and pitta via its bitter flavor.
- Rasa (taste): Pungent, bitter, astringent
- Virya (energy): Heating
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Guna (quality): Dry, light
- Dosha effect: Reduces Vata-Pitta and Kapha, BUT increases Vata and Pittta if taken in excess
Turmeric balances vitiated Kapha and Pitta. It is anthelmintic (Krimighna) and poison-destroying (Vishaghna). It is used in all type of skin diseases both internally and externally. As it is drying in nature, it reduces excessive phlegm in body. It detoxifies blood.
Action / Karma
- Artavajanan: Emmenagogue, Promotes menses
- Dipana: Enkindles the digestive fire
- Jvaraghn: Alleviates fever
- Kanhdhughna: Stops itching
- Krimighn: Worm destroying
- Kushthhagn: Removes skin diseases
- Lekhaniya: Scraping property
- Pandughna: Used in anemia
- Prameha: Useful in diabetes
- Raktashodhana: Blood purifier
- Sandhaniya: Heals broken bones
- Sirovirechana: Clearing stagnation from the head
- Stanyashodhaka: Purifies breasts and breast milk
- Varnya: Complexion enhancer
- Vedanasthapana: Analgesic
- Vishaghna: Destroys poisons
- Anti-allergic: It protects and prevents recurrent allergic respiratory disorders like allergic rhinitis, allergic bronchitis and skin allergies.
- Anti-inflammatory: It reduces swelling, when used internally or externally. It works in both acute and chronic inflammation.
- Antioxidant: It has ability to reduce oxidative stress. Hence, it helpful in the management of conditions such as leukoplakia, diabetes mellitus, chronic eye disease and tissue injury.
- Anti-ulcer: It decreases gastric acid secretion, increases the mucin content of gastric juices and exerts gastroprotective effects against stress-, alcohol- and drug-induced ulcer formation.
- Cholesterol Lowering: It prevent intestinal cholesterol absorption, by increasing the conversion of cholesterol into bile acids and increasing the excretion of bile acids.
- Cytoprotective: It provide protection to cells against harmful agents.
- Detoxifier: It is a natural blood detoxifier and anti-microbial which helps alleviate skin diseases and enhances the complexion.
- Hepatoprotective: It protects liver from diseases.
- Neuroprotective: It is antioxidant and neuroprotective and helpful in the management of diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Benefits of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- It is excellent in allergic/ inflammatory skin conditions.
- It helps in any type of inflammation in the body.
- It helps in preventing the progression of diabetes related changes in organs like the kidneys, retina, nerve cells and minute blood vessels in the body.
- It removes toxins from body.
- It gives relief in cough.
- It is helpful in all intestinal infections and mucus conditions.
- It treats inflammation of the joints, alleviates pain and
- strengthens the joints and tendons.
- It helps gout, arthritis, broken bones and wounds due to its anti-inflammatory, analgesic and healing properties.
- It has an antiplatelet activity and scrapes accumulations from the channels.
- It helps to stretch ligaments and repair injuries.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- Allergic dermatitis, itching, other diseases of skin
- Allergic respiratory disorders including allergic rhinitis and allergic bronchitis
- Allergic skin disorders
- As an antioxidant supplement in diabetes, chronic eye disease and other chronic inflammatory conditions abdominal distention due to gas
- Sheet-pitta or urticaria
- Skin infections
- Degenerative diseases
Dosage of Himalaya Haridra Capsules
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1-2 capsule.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It can be taken with milk or water.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- The drug should not be used by people with obstructed biliary ducts.
- If suffering from gallstones take it only under the supervision of a physician.
- It should not be used during pregnancy.
- It has antifertility effect.
- Avoid consumption in medical doses while trying for conception.
- Turmeric or its constituent curcumin affects the absorption of some beta blockers, increases the absorption of midazolam, but does not affect the absorption of iron.
- Piperine, from pepper, enhances the bioavailability of curcumin.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Pure Herbs are recommended for children ages 14 and above.
- Stomach complaints can occur following extended use or in the case of overdose.
- It is drying in nature and may increase dryness of skin.
- Haridra should not be given if antiplatelet or anticoagulant medication is being taken.
- In high doses, it can aggravate pitta and Vata.
- Health risks or side effects following the proper administration of designated therapeutic dosages are not recorded.