Dabur Honitus Madhuvaani is an herbal medicine manufactured by Dabur. It is based on Ayurvedic principle. It is an anti-cough formula containing Sitopaladi churna, honey, sugar, green cardamom, cinnamon and Bamboo manna.
Honitus Madhuvaani is premixed mixture provide effective relief from sore throat, cough and cold. It has anti-cough, anti-allergic, expectorant action and give relief in congestion.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Dabur India Ltd.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary herbal Ayurvedic
- Main Indication: Cough, Common cold – congestion
- Suitable for: Children above the age of 12 and Adults
- MRP/Price: Honitus Madhuvaani (Ayurvedic Cough Remedy With Honey) 150gm @ Rs. 78.00
- Anti-allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Anti-cough: Reduces cough.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Decongestant: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
Ingredients of Dabur Honitus Madhuvaani
Packing 150 gm in a HDPE container
- Sitopaladi churna (Basis Sharangdhar Samhita) – 28.00 g
- Sharkara – 25.50 g
- Madhu – 20.00 g
- Vanslochan (Bambusa arundinacia) – 770.00 mg
- Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum) – 500.00 mg
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) – 390.00 mg
- Gel base – Q.S.
1- Sitopaladi churna contains sugar, Vanshlochan (Bamboo), pippali, cardamom, and cinnamon. It is taken in dose of 1-5 gram in a teaspoon of honey and a little warm water. It balances Kapha and Vata Dosha. Sitopaladi churna has expectorant, antitussive, decongestant action. It is given in treatment of colds, coughs, lack of appetite, fever, debility, common cold, sore throat, sinus congestion, burning sensation in extremities. It is also indicated in tuberculosis and other wasting diseases. In Tuberculosis, Abhrak bhasma and Sitopaladi churna is given with Cow ghee.
- Dosha: Anti-kapha formula also reduces Vata.
- Properties: Expectorant, anti-tussive.
- Uses: Colds, cough, lack of appetite, fever, debility, burning sensation in extremities.
- Vehicle: Honey, Ghee.
Combination of Sitopala with honey improves its transport to lungs.
2- Vamsalochana / Vanshlochan / Bamboo Manna, is Ayurvedic name of the siliceous concretion found in the joints of the female bamboo. It helps to alleviate pitta fevers, infected phlegm and haemoptysis. It is a very effective expectorant.
Vamsalochana has sweet, cooling, tonic, expectorant, hemostatic, aphrodisiac, diuretic and anti-cough properties. It is useful in cough, consumption, asthma, bronchitis, fever etc. It is added in composition of numerous compound prescriptions used for affections of the lungs.
3- Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. It is Tridosh-har, digestive, carminative, nutritive, laxative, and expectorant. It has diuretic action and gives relief in urinary disorders. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
4- Dalchini or Cinnamon has carminative, astringent, topical stimulant, aphrodisiac, anti-fungal, antibacterial, diuretic, digestive, stimulant, antiseptic action.
Cardamom and cinnamon help to reduce Kapha and Vata.
Sitopala or Rock candy has cooling, demulcent Pitta- and Vata-relieving properties.
- Serving size: 10 grams
- Calories 30
- Total carbohydrate 7 gram
- Sugar 7 gram
Benefits of Dabur Honitus Madhuvaani
- It gives relief in disorders of respiratory system.
- It helps to control cough.
- It gives relief in throat irritation.
- It reduces chest congestion.
- It gives relief in respiratory distress.
- It improves appetite.
- It balances Vata and Kapha.
- It can be safely given to children.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Dabur Honitus Madhuvaani
- Common cold, cough
- Non-productive cough
- Productive cough
What is Productive Cough?
Productive cough / wet cough, is one with mucus. Mucus is also called phlegm or sputum. There is increased secretion and production of sputum. This should not be suppressed but encouraged as It helps in clearing airway passages of accumulated mucus.
In productive coughing, there is forceful, sudden and noisy expulsion of air from the lungs with sputum. This expels mucus and other secretions from the lower respiratory tract.
The symptoms of productive cough involves sneezing, headache, malaise, fatigue, rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, sore throat, and myalgia.
In Ayurveda, the productive cough (Kapha cough) is associated with imbalance of Kapha Dosha. For treatment of Productive Cough, hot pungent herbs are used.
For treatment of productive cough, mucolytic and expectorants are used.
What is Non-productive Cough?
This is also known as Dry cough. It is cough without much mucus. There is irritation in the throat but no sputum. It is a noisy, forceful expulsion of air from the lungs that doesn’t yield sputum. This should not be encouraged but suppressed.
Dry cough has no physiological function and caused due to viruses, cardiac diseases, and as side-effects of certain medicines.
Dry cough is treated with soothing agents, cough suppressants, antitussives, and anti-histamins.
In Ayurveda, the unproductive cough is associated with imbalance of Vata Dosha.
Dosage of Dabur Honitus Madhuvaani
Dabur Honitus Madhuvaani recommended dosage is given below:
- Adults: 1 teaspoonful thrice a day
- Children above 12 years: 1/4 to ½ teaspoonful thrice a day.
This medicine is not recommended for children below the age of 12 years.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factor. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
Always take in recommended doses.
There are no known side-effects if taken in recommended doses.
This medicine is not suitable for diabetic person / patients with high blood sugar level.
Though it is safe to take this preparation in pregnancy, always consult doctor before taking any herbal preparation as a caution.