Table of Contents
Mullein Ear Drops contain Homeopathic medicines Mullein flower, Acidum boracic, Acidum carbonicum, Acidum benzoicum, and indicated in painful symptoms of ear. It is useful in pain in-ear due to inflammation of the middle ear, painful eruptions of the external ear, fungal infection, itching and irritation of the ear, fungal infection, dry scaling of the inner ear with a sense of obstruction, swimmer ear, etc.
- Brand/Manufacturer: SBL
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Homeopathic Medicine
- Main Indication: Pain in the ear
- Presentation: Bottle of 10 ml.
- Price of Mullein Ear Drops: Rs.40
- Contraindications: No known contraindication
- Interactions: No known interaction
- Side-effects: No known side effects
Earache / Otalgia / Pain in Ear
Earache is a pain in the ear. It is either due to local causes in the ear or it may be referred pain from other organs. It is sharp, dull, or burning pain in one or both ears. Pain may of short duration or long duration.
The eustachian tube is a tube that connects the middle ear with the back of the nose. It helps fluid drain out of the middle ear. Any infection of bacteria or viruses causes the tube to get swollen and fills with thick mucus. Bacteria can grow in the fluid which further increase the pressure behind the eardrum and causes pain.
Another name: Otalgia
Presence of furuncle of the external ear: It is a staphylococcal infection of a hair follicle in the cartilaginous part of the meatus. It may be single or multiple. It is seen in diabetic patients. It is associated with pain in the ear, deafness, and tenderness in-ear.
Perichondritis: It is a serious condition in which there is perichondrium is infected. In this condition, there is a collection of pus. It may result in cartilage destruction and collapse of the external ear. It is caused by staphylococcus aureus infection.
Otitis externa: It is a generalized infection that involves the skin of the external auditory canal including the surface of the tympanic membrane. Symptoms involve irritation and discomfort along with itchiness.
Impacted cerumen: Cerumen is also known as wax. It is a mixture of secretions of the ceruminous and pilosebaceous glands. The Wax is brown in color. Ear wax can form earplugs which cause difficulty in hearing and may cause pain.
Any malignant growth of the external and middle ear.
Rupture of the tympanic membrane.
Acute otitis media: It is an acute inflammation of the middle ear. IT is caused by streptococcal aureus.
Infection of pseudomonas, Candida, and herpes zoster.
Eczema can occur in the auditory canal which causes dryness, redness scaly, and itchy skin. Later on, it may get infected and become painful.
- Dental causes like an impacted wisdom tooth, gingivitis
- Cause-related to tongue: like ulcer, glossitis, and any kind of malignancy
- Cause-related to tonsils like acute tonsillitis, peritonsillar abscess, and cancer
- Ulcer and inflammation of the mouth
- Cause-related to pharynges like abscess, ulcer, and cancer
- Arthritis of the jaw
- Ear injury from pressure changes (from high altitudes and other causes)
- Object stuck in the ear
- Hole in the eardrum
- Sore throat
- Ear pain in a child or infant may be due to infection
Other causes may include:
- Ear canal irritation from cotton: tipped swabs
- Soap or shampoo staying in the ear
- Injury to ear
- Loud noises
- Hearing loss
- Ear discharge
Tips to get relief from pain in the ear:
- Place a cold pack or cold wet cloth on the outer ear for 20 minutes to reduce pain.
- In order to relieve the pain and pressure of an ear infection, chewing is very helpful.
- Resting in an upright position instead of lying down can reduce pressure in the middle ear.
- If ear pain occurs as a result of a change of height as in an airplane a person can swallow chewing gum as the plane descends. In the case of infants, it is recommended to suck on a bottle or breastfeed.
- Don’t put foreign objects in-ear.
- After bathing or swimming dry the ears.
- When a child has a high fever along with severe pain.
- If a patient develops symptoms like dizziness, headache, swelling around the ear. If a patient develops weakness of facial muscles.
- If severe pain suddenly stops. It indicates that the patient has a ruptured eardrum.
- If pain, fever, or irritability get worse within 24 to 48 hours.
- If a person has severe pain in the ear he may use a warm facecloth or a covered hot water bottle held against the affected ear.
- The patient should lie with the affected ear against a pillow.
- If the ear is discharging gently wash the outer ear with soap and a face cloth.
Mullein Ear Drops Composition
SBL Mullein Ear Drops contains, Mullein flower, glycerine, Acidum benzoicum, Acidum boracicum, Acidum carbolicum, chloroformium.
Mullein oil- It is extracted from flowers of Mullein.
Scientific name- Verbascum thapsus, V. phlomoides, V. thapsiforme.
It has silvery green leaves and bright yellow flowers that are used from ancient in the treatment of disease of the respiratory tract. It was used to repel evil spirits.
The scientific name of Mullein is Verbascum thapsus. It is a herb that is very useful in cases of inflammation. It is seen that the mullein flower has antiviral properties. Mullein leaf and the flowers of the plant are used in syrups, oils, tinctures, and in gargles.
- It is a very good remedy which gives relief from ear pain.
- It is useful in curing hemorrhoids, eczema, and wounds.
- Tea made from mullein leaf is used for stopping incessant coughing. It helps to prevent the accumulation of wax, water, or other discharge in the ear.
- Ear infections
- Inflammation of the airways
- Sore throat
Glycerine: It is given when there is a stoppage of the nose with sneezing along with irritation. It is very useful in coryza. It is given when a patient has postnasal dripping.
Acidum benzoicum: It is given when a patient has noises on swallowing. It cures swelling behind the ears. It is beneficial in severe pains in the ear that change the locality. It cures when a patient has severe pain in the bones of the nose.
Acidum boracicum: It is useful as an antiseptic disinfectant. It cures fermentation and putrefaction.
Acidum carbolicum: It is given when a patient has severe pain that comes and goes immediately which lasts for some time. It cures when a patient has an offensive discharge from the ears.
Mullein Ear Drops Important Therapeutic Uses
- For pain in the ear which may be due to injury, infection, or inflammation
- In fungal infection of the ear
- In irritation and itching of the ear
- Can be given in swimmer’s ear problems
Mullein Ear Drops Dosage
This is an ear drop.
3 to 5 drops to be instilled 3 times daily. or as prescribed by the physician.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Suggestions
It has no known side-effect.
It has no known drug interaction.
Keep the medicines:
- Away from strong smelling substances like camphor, menthol, etc.
- In a cool, dry place away from direct exposure to sunlight.
- Away from the reach of children.