Now a day, lifestyle disorder is very common. We are facing a lot of stress while doing our job. We all are so busy that we don’t have time to get a proper diet, sleep. There is no time for exercise. As a result, we get various types of diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, disease of the heart, and so on. But we can remain fit in offices by taking care of small things in our lifestyle.
Simple Exercise to Do at Office
It should be kept in mind that a lot of this disease is associated with a sedentary lifestyle. This lifestyle includes a heavy workload at the office with minimum exercise. People at the office are more habitual of taking snacks like pakoras, chips and other rich foods which make them fat and unhealthy. So, it should be kept in mind that always take stairs instead of the elevator. Always try to take a walk with co-workers during lunch break. This will not only make you healthy but you become more active in your daily routine.
It is also seen that people are more likely to do text chatting and phone calls during their free time. So, it is recommended that they should walk down the hall and talk with their co-worker instead of chatting.
If your lunch break is of longer duration, you could also go to the park and do some walking.
It is seen that people work continuously at the computer. They also suffer from complaints like migraines and weak eyesight. So, it is recommended to have a 10-minute workout break throughout the day.
Easy Work Outs
Gently lower ear to shoulder and hold for 10 seconds. Then slowly roll chin to chest and up to other shoulder and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat this exercise several times. While doing this exercise it should be kept in mind that a person should not extend the neck back too far.
Turn your head to look over your left shoulder and hold for 10 seconds. Then turn head the other way and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat this exercise several times.
Raise the head to straighten the neck. Tuck the chin and upwards creating a double chin. This also results in a forward tilt of the head. Hold in this position for 10 seconds and repeat it several times.
Circle shoulder forward several times, then backward. Repeat this 3 to 5 times.
Stretch arm above the head. Then cradle elbow with hand and gently pull elbow behind the head. Hold this position for 10 seconds several times.
While sitting on a chair don’t take support. Lift your foot one at a time up to 3 inches. Then tighten the muscles of your foot and keep in this position for 5 10 seconds. Then relax. Repeat the exercise 2 3 times with individual leg.
This exercise is extremely useful in improving circulation. It makes muscles strong. It is also useful in the balance of the body.
Sit on a chair. Take out your shoes. Lift your foot up to that position where you can rotate it in every possible position. Now try to make alphabets by using toes. This helps in flexing and relaxing of toes. Repeat the exercise 2 3 times a day.
It relaxes toes.
Interlace fingers. Keep palms outward and straighten arms in front. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat it several times.
While doing work at the office it should be kept in mind that while keying, keep your wrist straight while your fingers are suspended over the keyboard. Always keep elbows at keyboard level. Always adjust chair height.
Don’t rest your wrists on the desk or keyboard. Always keep hands suspended.
Upper and lower back stretch
Interlace fingers and trunk palms upward above the head. Straighten arms then slowly lean slightly from side to side.
Repeat this movement several times.
Stand up. Support lower back with hands and gently arch back. Gently arch back and hold for 5 10 seconds. Repeat as often as is needed.
- Always sit well back in your chair. If your feet need support use a footrest.
- Adjust the backrest on your chair to support your lower back.
Hold onto the chair with your hand on either side. Straighten leg and lift food a few centimeters off lower. Rotate foot and ankle both ways. Point toes up. Extend toes down. Repeat it several times.
Sit up straight. Face forward and repeat this sequence several times without moving head. Look up, then down. Look left then right.
Besides these exercises, a person can also try some other exercises
- Take a full water bottle to do some strength training exercises like pressing it up over your head.
- A person can do partial squats while waiting for work to be done.
- Stand up or march in place while on the phone.
- A person can use a resistance band to perform strengthening exercises in your office.
- Take an extra lap around the building whenever you get up.
- In order to stay fit, keep an exercise log and try to increase your move time each week.
- You can also make use of technology by using a pedometer. Be competitive, +ve who can walk the most steps each week.
- Change your position or posture often.
- Do 5 minutes of silent meditation while standing.
- Use the dust bin furthest away from the desk.
- Eat your lunch away from your desk.
- Stand during meetings and presentations.
- Stand while participating in a conference.
- Always practice good posture.
- Do jumping jacks in your office.