Zinc is very impertinent thing for all physiological process in our body. It plays vital role in development of human body cell, brain development, eye health and building immunity. Zinc deficiency can cause loss of appetite, decreased sense of taste and smell, decreased immune function, slow wound healing, skin sores, poorly developed sex organs and retarded growth in young men. In Ayurveda Zinc used in different form in medicines since ancient time.
Yashad Bhasma, Yashada Bhasma or Jasad Bhasma, is an Ayurvedic metallic preparation. It is a specially processed zinc and useful in sprue, diabetes, leucorrhea, and hyperhydrosis. Zinc deficiency is also responsible for impaired glucose metabolism, retarded growth and weakness of eyesight. Intake of Yashad Bhasma cures Zinc deficiency and thus improves body immunity to fight infections. It is good for eyes and helps to prevent macular degeneration, cataract and night blindness. Zinc improves reproductive functions and supports formation of new blood.
Yashada bhasma can be used orally and externally and is astringent taste, cold potency and used to treat Kapha and pitta Dosha. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonyms: Yashad Bhasma, Yashada Bhasma, Jasad Bhasma, Jasada Bhasma, Zinc Calx
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Metallic preparation of Zinc
- Composition: Zn
- Chemically: 87% Zinc Oxide and 0.5% Potassium
- Main Indication: Prameha, Anemia, Asthma, Dieases of eyes
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Dosha Effect: Balances Pitta and Kapha
What is Bhasma: Powder of a substance obtained after First stage Shodhana (purification), Second stage (Marana), and calcination is called Bhasma. Bhasma maintain their potency indefinitely. They have no characteristic taste.
Ingredients of Yashad Bhasma
Yashada (Zinc metal) is used for the preparation of Yashada Bhasma.
Zinc is subjected to Dhalana (process where molten metal is poured into liquids), Jaran (roasting purified Yashad with Apamarg Panchang), Maran (triturated with juice of Aloe- vera and heated in the furnace).
Shodhana (general purification) is done by the Dhalana (liquefying and pouring) method in Kanji (sour gruel), Takra (butter milk), Kulattha (Dolichus biflorus) Kashaya (decoction), Gomutra (Cow’s urine), Tila (Sesame indicum) and Taila (oil). Dhalana is carried out three times in each liquid media.
- Yashada Q.S.
- Taila (Tila) (Ol.) Q.S. for nirvapana
- Takra Q.S. for nirvapana
- Gomutra Q.S. for nirvapana
- Kanjika Q.S. for nirvapana
- Kulattha kashya (Sd.) Q.S. for nirvapana
After Shodhana, the metal becomes more brittle and then subjected to Jarana (roasting) using Apamarga panchanga churna (powder of Achyranthes aspera).
- Yashada -Shuddha 1 Part
- Apamarga- churna (Pl.) Q.S.
After Jarana, the metal is converted into a very fine grey shining powder which is fit for Marana (incineration). The powder is subjected to Marana by triturating it with Shuddha Parada (purified Mercury) and Shuddha Gandhaka (purified Sulphur), both 1/4th quantity of Yashada, to form a black powder, from which one bhavana (triturating in liquid media) each with Kumari swarasa (fresh juice of Aloe vera) and Nimbu swarasa (fresh juice of Citrus limon) is given and Chakrikas (pellets) prepared.
After drying, they were kept in sharava (casseroles), sandhi bandhana (sealing) is done and subjected to Gajaputa (heating system with 1000 dried cow dung cakes). After two Gajaputas, Yashada Bhasma of yellowish color is obtained.
- Alterative: Alter favorably the course of an ailment.
- Antacid: Neutralizes stomach acidity, which in turn relieves heartburn, indigestion or stomach upset.
- Anti–inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Astringents: Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Cooling: Lower body temperature to relieve pain, swelling and reduces body heat.
- Digestive: helps in digestion of food.
- Hematinic: Increases the hemoglobin content of the blood and hence useful in iron-deficiency anemia.
- Restorative Tonic: helps to restore health and strength
Benefits of Yashad Bhasma
- It cures Zinc deficiency.
- It boosts immunity.
- It helps in recurrent respiratory ailments such as cold-cough.
- It shows beneficial effect in ear infections and eye diseases.
- It is indicated specially in Prameha (diabetes) and associated complications.
- It is used as Rakta Stambhaka.
- It helps to prevent hair loss and greying.
- It is useful in eye diseases, various forms of debility, urinary disorders, anemia and asthma.
- It has very quick and effective treatment of oligospermia without any side effects as compare to other medicine. Oligospermia/oligozoospermia is condition of low sperm count (less than 20 million spermatozoa per one ml of ejaculate).
- It cures Zinc deficiency which is responsible for anorexia, weight loss, growth retardation, various skin dystrophies and impaired glucose metabolism.
A Study to Evaluate Effect of Yashad Bhasm In Oligospermia, Concluded Yashad Bhasma is effective in 92.3% in sperm abnormalities i.e. Low Sperm count, Low Motility, Abnormal Sperm Cell Morphology. It is the fastest among all treatment. It raises sperm count four to six-fold in one month treatment and move so on until desired results are achieved. The lowest count which can be helped is 4 lacs per ml or 0.4 million per ml. below, this the result may be variable.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Yashad Bhasma
- Cold, cough and bronchial asthma
- Eye diseases
- Grahani (Malabsorption syndrome)
- Night sweating
- Non-healing wound
- Prameha (Urinary disorders)
- Prasveda (Excessive sweating)
- Rajayakshma (Tuberculosis)
- Shveta Pradara (Leucorrhoea)
- Urinary constraint
- Zinc Deficiency
Zinc Deficiency Symptoms:
- Alopecia, hair fall
- Decreased nerve conduction
- Growth retardation
- Hypogonadism in men
- Immune dysfunction, recurrent infections
- Low appetite
- Mental lethargy
- Neuropsychiatric disorders
- Neurosensory disorders
- Poor wound healing
- Retarded genital development
- Retarded growth
- Skin abnormalities, eczema
- Skin lesions
- Taste abnormalities
Dosage of Yashad Bhasma
- Take 60-125 mg in morning and evening.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with Honey/Giloy Juice/Trikatu decoction.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
This medicine should be used very carefully ONLY after consulting Ayurvedic doctor.
Do not use it for long periods as excess intake of zinc can cause other health problems.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
Though Zinc is an essential element BUT taking too much zinc affects health.
The RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowances) for Zinc is 11 mg/day for men and 8 mg/day for women.
If large doses of zinc (10–15 times higher than the RDA) are taken by mouth even for a short time, stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting may occur. Ingesting high levels of zinc for several months may cause anemia, damage the pancreas, and decrease levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.
Eating large amount of Zinc for several months, can cause infertility, anemia and injury to the pancreas and kidney.
Long-term, high-dose zinc supplementation interferes with the uptake of copper.
Excess Zinc in Body Causes:
- Copper deficiency
- Altered lymphocyte function
- Epigastric pain
- Increased Risk of prostate cancer
Pharmacies Making Yashad Bhasma
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Yashad Bhasma
- Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited SDL Yashada Bhasma
- Rasashram Pharmacy Yashad Bhasma
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.