Table of Contents
Arq-e-Ushba (Arq Ushba) is an herbal Unani medicine. It is useful in treatment of skin disorders, parasites, diseases due to toxins in blood and pain in joints (arthritis, gout).
- Type of medicine: Unani Herbal
- Product Name: Arq-e-Ushba
- Product Form: Liquid
- Main Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories
What is Ark / Arq?
Arka / Arq can be defined as a liquid obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using distillation apparatus. The drugs are boiled in distillation apparatus to get the vapors which on condensation give Ark of desired herb. Ark contains the volatile part of drug.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Arq-e-Ushba
Ark Ushba is a colorless liquid having characteristic smell and bitter taste. It is prepared from following ingredients:
- Chobchini Smilax china L., 125 g
- Ushba Maghrabi Smilax aristolochiaefolia Mill., 62.5 g
- Anantmool Hemidesmus indicus (L.) R. Br., 187.5 g
- Aab Sadah Purified water, UPI Liquid 8.0 l
Method of preparation:
- Take all the ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Clean and dry the ingredients under shade.
- Crush the ingredients in an iron mortar to obtain coarse powder.
- Soak the coarse powder in water overnight.
- Transfer the soaked material along with water into distillation unit.
- Distil the soaked material at boiling temperature to get 5.25 l of Arq.
Unani Properties of Ushba
- Qatil Deedan Shakum (Anthelmintic): kill the intestinal worm Habbul qara (Tape worm).
- Mohallile Auram (Resolvant): Resolve the inflammation.
- Mudir bol (Diuretic): Increase activity of kidney either by irritation or by increase filtration.
- Musaffi Dam (Blood purifier): Detoxify blood.
- Moaddilat (Normaliser): Make the temperament of other humor normal.
- Moarriq (Sudorific): Divert the material towards skin and they are passed through pours.
Benefits of Ark Ushba
- It is herbal remedy.
- It is safe to take.
- It detoxifies blood.
- It has diuretic action. It eliminates intestinal parasites.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Arq-e-Ushba
- Waja-ul-Mafasil (Arthralgia) pain in a joint
- Amraz-e-Jild (Skin disorders)
- Syphilis, gonorrheav
Dosage of Arq-e-Ushba
The drug is taken in dose of 60 ml, twice a day with Sharbat-e-Unnab. It is herbal medicine without any known side effect.