Table of Contents
Arq-e-Amber / Arq Amber, is an Unani medicine. It is used to strengthen heart, brain, liver and the stomach. It improves general, physical and mental well-being. It has aphrodisiac action and improves vigour and vitality.
This medicine is available from Hamdard, the leading Unani medicine manufacturer in India.
What is Ark / Arq?
Arka / Arq can be defined as a liquid obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using distillation apparatus. The drugs are boiled in distillation apparatus to get the vapors which on condensation give Ark of desired herb. Ark contains the volatile part of drug.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
About Unani System of medicine
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings. It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Arq-e-Amber
Erq Ember is a Unani medicine having slight acrid taste, light yellow colour and lemon like smell. It is prepared from following ingredients:
- Abresham Muqarraz Bombyx mori L., Silk cocoon 50 g
- Izkhar Makki Cymbopogon jwarancusa (Jones) Schult., Whole plant 50 g
- Ushna (Chharila) Parmelia perlata Huds, Lichen 50 g
- Ilaichi Khurd (Neem Kofta) Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton, Seed 50 g
- Ilaichi Kalan (Neem Kofta) Amomum subulatum Roxb., Seed 50 g
- Soya Anethum sowa Kurz., Seed 50 g
- Burada Sandal Safaid Santalum album Linn., Heart wood 50 g
- Barg Tulsi Ocimum sanctum L., Leaf 50 g
- Balchar Nardostachys jatamansi DC., Rhizome 50 g
- Banslochan Bambusa bambos (L.) Voss. Concretion 50 g
- Buzidan (Neem Kofta) Tanacetum umbelliferum Boiss., Root 50 g
- Behman Surkh (Neem Kofta) Salvia haematodes L., Root 50 g
- Taj Qalmi (Neem Kofta) Cinnamomum cassia Blume, Stem bark 50 g
- Darchini (Neem Kofta) Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume, Stem bark 50 g
- Shaqaqul Misri (Neem Kofta) Pastinaca secacul L., Rhizome 50 g
- Darunaj Aqrabi (Neem Kofta) Doronicum hookeri Hook., Rhizome 50 g
- Ood Gharqi (Neem Kofta) Paeonia emodi Wall., Tuber 50 g
- Qaranfal (Neem Kofta) Syzygium aromaticum (L.) Merr. & Perry, Flower bud 50 g
- Kishneez Khushk (Neem Kofta) Coriandrum sativum Linn., Fruit 50 g
- Zaranbad (Neem Kofta) Curcuma zedoaria Rosc. ex Smith, Rhizome 50 g
- Post Turanj (Neem Kofta) Citrus medica L., Pericarp 50 g
- Sazaj Hindi Cinnamomum tamala (Buch.-Ham.) Nees & Eberm. Leaf 50 g
- Sad Kufi (Neem Kofta) Cyperus rotundus Linn., Rhizome 50 g
- Gulnar Farsi Punica granatum Linn., Flower 25 g
- Kakrasinghi Pistacia integerrima Stew. ex Brandis, Gall 25 g
- Gul-e-Surkh Rosa damascena Mill., Petals 50 g
- Gul-e-Khatmi Althaea rosea L., Flower 50 g
- Anar Shireen Punica granatum Linn., Seed 600 g
- Seb Malus sylvestris Mill., Fruit 300 g
- Amber Ashhab Ambra grasea, Granules 500 mg
- Arq-e-Keora Pandanus odoratissimus Linn., Distillate 150 ml
- Arq-e-Badranjboya Nepeta hindostana Haines Distillate 250 ml
- Arq-e-Gaozaban Borago officinalis Linn., Distillate 250 ml
- Aab Sadah Purified water, Distillate 12 litre
Method of preparation
- Take all the ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Clean and dry the ingredients 1 to 23 and 25 under shade.
- Crush all the ingredients from 1 to 27 in an iron mortar to obtain coarse powder.
- Soak the coarse powder in desired quantity of water for 24 hours.
- Transfer the soaked powder into distillation apparatus along with water.
- Crush the seeds of freshly peeled off Anar and cut the Seb into small pieces.
- Add the crushed Anar and small pieces of Seb into the soaked drug.
- Hang the Amber into outlet of distillation plant by covering it with cloth.
- Collect 6.75 liters of Arq-e-Amber.
- Add the required quantity of Arq-e-Keora, Arq-e-Badranjboya and Arq-e-Gaozaban into collected Arq.
Unani Properties of Amber (Ambra grosea secretion)
- Musakhkhin (Calorific): Increase body warmness.
- Muqavviyat wa Mufarrehat: Cardiotonic and refrigerant)
- Muqavvi Dimagh (Brain tonic): Tone up the brain. Improve the brain power by various ways.
- Muqavvi Qalb (Heart tonic): Tone up the Heart. Improve the heart function by various ways.
- Mufarreh (Refrigerant): Relieve the tachycardia, palpitation of heart and thirst. Produce generally cold ness.
- Muqavvi Baah (Aphrodisiac): Increase sexual power. Act in many ways. Stimulate nerves or increase semen viscosity or normalize the increased sensation etc.
Benefits of Arq Amber
- Tonic for heart, liver, brain and reproductive organs
- Removes mental fatigue and exhaustion
- Improves vigour and vitality
- Increase sexual power
- Restores consciousness and energy if fainting occurs due to extreme physical weakness.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Arq-e-Amber
- Zof-e-Qalb (Weakness of the heart)
- Zof-e-Dimagh (Weakness of the brain)
- Zof-e-Jigar (Weakness of the liver)
- Ghashi (Fainting) syncope (temporary loss of consciousness caused by a fall in blood pressure)
- Naqahat (Asthenia)
Dosage of Arq-e-Amber
The drug is taken orally along with Anar Sharbat in dose of 60 ml, twice a day.