Table of Contents
Arq-e-Zeera (Arq Zeera, Ark Jeera) is an herbal Unani medicine. It is a liquid medicine obtained by distillation of Desi Ajwain, Dry ginger powder, Safed Jeera and Kala Jeera.
Ark Jeera, improves appetite, digestion and assimilation. It digests toxins, gives relief in gas, alleviates intestinal spasms-vomiting, and removes excess mucus. It is effective in digestive disorders such as anorexia, digestive weakness, flatulence, indigestion etc. It has carminative, digestive, antispasmodic, diuretic and galactagogue properties.
- Type of medicine: Unani Herbal
- Product Name: Arq-e-Zeera
- Product Form: Liquid
What is Ark / Arq?
Arka / Arq can be defined as a liquid obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using distillation apparatus. The drugs are boiled in distillation apparatus to get the vapors which on condensation give Ark of desired herb. Ark contains the volatile part of drug.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Arq-e-Zeera
Arq-e-Zeera is a liquid medicine with spicy taste and characteristic smell. It is colourless and prepared by distillation of ingredients in the formulation composition given below:
- Ajwain Desi Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Sprague Fruit 250 g
- Zanjabeel (Sonth) Zingiber officinale Rosc. Rhizome 125 g
- Zeera Safaid Cuminum cyminum Linn. Fruit 375 g
- Zeera Siyah Carum carvi Linn. Fruit 125 g
- Aab Sadah Purified water Liquid 12.0 litre
Method of preparation:
- Take all the ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Clean and dry the ingredients under shade.
- Crush the ingredients in an iron mortar to obtain coarse powder.
- Soak the coarse powder in water overnight.
- Transfer the soaked powder along with water into the distillation unit.
- Distil the soaked material to get 7.5 l of Arq.
Benefits of Arq-e-Zeera
- It is Muqawwi-e-Meda (Stomachic). It promotes the appetite and assist in digestion.
- It is Kasir-e-Riyah (Carminative) and gives relief in flatulence.
- It is Hazim (Digestive) and promotes digestion.
- It improves appetite and digestion.
- It helps in weight loss.
- It is gastric and intestine tonic.
- It is herbal remedy.
- It is safe to take.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Arq-e-Zeera
- Zof-e-Ishteha (Loss of appetite/anorexia)
- Obesity, reducing fat
- Gastric disorders
Dosage of Arq-e-Zeera
The drug is taken in dose of 60 ml, twice a day with water. It is herbal medicine without any known side effect.