Itrifal – e – Ustukhuddus is an herbal Unani medicine. The principle ingredients of this medicine are Itrifal (Well-known Ayurvedic formulation Triphala used since time immemorial) and Ustukhuddus or Lavandula stoechas. Ustukhuddus is also known as Arabian or French Lavender. It is tonic for stomach, liver, nerves and brain. It has carminative action and chiefly used for treatment of paralysis, epilepsy, chronic cold and cough, sinusitis. It is also used to treat headache and diseases due to the nervine weakness.
Itrifal Ustukhuddus is prescribed as a tonic in cephalalgia (pain in the head caused by dilation of cerebral arteries or muscle contractions or a reaction to drugs), hemiplegia (paralysis of one side of the body), Bell’s palsy (paralysis of the facial nerve causing muscular weakness in one side of the face), epilepsy (neurological disorder marked by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain) and catarrh (excessive discharge or build-up of mucus in the nose or throat, associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane).
About Unani Medicine
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Itrifal Ustukhuddus
- Ustukhuddus French lavender (Lavandula stoechas) 2.5 %
- Kasoos / Doddar (Cuscuta reflexa) 2.5 %
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) 2.5 %
- Bisfaayaj / Common Polypody (Polypodium vulgare) 2.5 %
- Post-e-Balela (Terminalia bellirica) 2.5 %
- Post-e-Halela Zard (Terminalia chebula) 2.5 %
- Post-e-Halela Kabli (Terminalia chebula) 100 grams
- Halela Siyah (Chebulic myrobalan tenderfruit) 100 grams
- Gul-e-Surkh (Rosa damascena) 2.5 %
- Kishmish (Vitis vinifera) 100 grams
- White sugar 3 kilograms
- Citric acid 3 grams
- Raughan Zard Ghee Q.S
- Asal or Qand Safaid Honey 75 %
Unani Action of Medicine
- Munaqqi Dimagh (Drugs clearing vitiated humour from the Brain)
- Munaqqi Meda (Drugs clearing vitiated humour from the stomach)
Health Benefits of Itrifal Ustukhuddus
- It is a tonic for brain.
- It detoxifies body.
- It cures chronic headache, mental disorders due to blood impurities.
- It is good for hairs.
- It prevents hair greying.
- It gives relief in cardiac pain due to gastric disorders.
- It gives relief in constipation due to laxative action.
- It improves digestion.
- It is especially useful in chronic catarrh.
- It clear out accumulated Kapha.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Itrifal Ustukhuddus
- Clearing impurities of cerebral region
- Strengthening the Intestines, digestive system
- Persistent cold, cough
- Hair greying
- Headaches, migraine, Diseases of Head (Amraz Sar)
Dosage of Itrifal Ustukhuddus
5-10 grams with milk at the bedtime.
- Sour articles of food should be avoided.
- This medicine contains sugar and honey. So it is not suitable for diabetics.
- It has laxative action.
- This medicine contains ghee.
- Avoid in pregnancy.