Sleeplessness, poor sleep or insomnia means lack of good sleep. This condition directly affects quality of life of the affected person. Sleeplessness for a long time causes several other health issues. Though modern medicines offer sleeping pills to manage this problem, but that comes with a cost on health. The well-known side effect of these sleeping pills are, appetite change, constipation or diarrhea, burning in hands and feet, difficult body balancing, dizziness, weakness and dependency on pills for sleep.
These are just few side-effects but list of such problems is long. Here I have tried to list some natural ways to get good sound sleep. Since these are natural, so do not pose any health hazard.
- Mint tea
Mint tea (Pudina tea), which is prepared by boiling fresh leaves of mint in water and adding honey, is good for stomach, digestive system and gives sound sleep at night. Sip a cup of mint tea before going to bed.
- Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea has mild sedative properties. It helps to reduce anxiety and induces good sleep. You can drink a cup of chamomile tea 2-3 times a day. This calms nervous system and promotes sleep.
- Gotu kola tea
Gotu kola tea is prepared by brewing one teaspoon of Gotu kola in a cup of hot water for ten minutes. This tea is very well-known for treating insomnia. You can take 2-4 cup of this tea throughout the day.
- Fennel tea
Fennel tea is useful in condition of insomnia. You can prepare and drink cup of fennel tea before retiring to bed.
- Ashwagandha churna
Ashwagandha churna can be taken in amount of one teaspoon with honey to have good sleep.
Few tips that might help
- Drink a glass of milk at night.
- Put few drops of almond oil in nose. This cures nasal dryness, congestion, headaches and helps to give sleep.
- Avoid black tea, coffee, caffeine, nicotine and similar products to get good sleep.
- Take light dinner few hours before sleep. Maintain a fix time for retiring to bed.
- Avoid drinking water after 7 p.m.
- Have a hobby, keep yourself busy and avoid unnecessary thoughts which causes stress and headaches.
- Go for a walk.
- Do meditation and deep breathing exercises that not only calms mind but also supplies lots of fresh air to the whole body.
- Try to find the reason for sleeplessness such as stress, tension, anxiety, cough, illness, etc. and try to cure the same.