Shankhpushpi Syrup is an herbal Ayurvedic medicine containing Shankhapushpi Plant and Brahmi Plant as major ingredients. Both the herbs are traditionally described to improve learning, concentration, grasping power and recall ability. It is a brain tonic and improves brain power. Regular use of this medicine for 3 or more months helps to improve concentration, focus, memory power and alertness. This Ayurvedic syrup is very beneficial for school going children who are always at stress to perform better in their exams.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Shankhpushpi Syrup
Each 5 ml of contains
- Shankhapushpi Convolvalus Pluricaulis 125 mg
- Brahmi Bacopa monnieri 3 mg
- Nimbu Satva Citric Acid 0.75 mg.
- Sugar (Saccharum Officinarum) Q.S.
- Flavour syrup base Q.S.
- Preservatives: Methyl Paraben, Sodium I.P., Propyl Paraben Sodium I.P., Sod. Metabisulphite I.P.
Dabur Shankha Pushpi Syrup
Each 5 ml prepared from
- Shankhapushpi 106 mg
- Brahmi 26 mg
- Nimbu Satva 3 mg
- Sharkara 4.237 g
- Water Q.S.
Preservatives: Sodium Methyl Paraben I.P., Sodium Propyl Paraben I.P.
Unjha Shankhpushpi Syrup
Each 5 ml contains Aqueous Extract Derived From
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) 125 mg.
- Brahmi (Centella Asiatica) 31.25 mg.
- Nimbu Satva (Citric Acid) 3.9065 mg.
- Sugar (Saccharum Officinarum) Q.S.
- Sunset Yellow & Brillium Blue FCF Colour Q.S.
- Approved Flavour Q.S.
- Excipients Q.S.
Shankhpushpi / Convolvulus pluricaulis, is boon for brain. It is a powerful brain stimulant. It is hypotensive, anti–thyroid and sedative. It improves mental functions and reduces stress due to traumatic, chemical or psychological reasons. Shankhpushpi is used in treatment of epilepsy, insanity, weakness of nerves and mental retardation.
Shankhpushpi is Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter) and Kashaya (Astringent) in taste (Ras) and Laghu (light), Sara (Unstable) in action (Guna). Its post-digestive effect (Vipak) is Madhura (Sweet). It is a Sheet Virya herbs. Sheet Virya or Cool potency herb, subdues Pitta (Bile) Vata (Wind) and increases Kapha (Mucus). Sheet Virya herb gives nourishment to body and steadiness. It supports building of body fluids. Shankhpushpi is tridoshhar and balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Brahmi / Bacopa monnieri, is bitter (Tikta), astringent (Kashaya) in taste (Ras), light (Laghu), unctuous (Snigdha) in qualities (Guna). It is pungent (Katu) after digestion (Vipak) and Cool in potency. Brahmi balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha Dosha. It works on seven Dhatu of body. Brahmi is especially beneficial for mind. It is a nervine tonic, sedative, rejuvenative, anticonvulsant and anti-inflammatory. In Ayurveda, it is indicated in mental weakness, anxiety, skin disorders, and fever. It is a memory vitalizer and nervine tonic.
Brahmi is adaptogenic, astringent, diuretic, sedative, potent nervine tonic, anti-anxiety agent, and improves mental functions. It is used in insanity, epilepsy, bronchitis, asthma and diarrhea. Brahmi is chiefly used in mental disorders as brain tonic.
Brahmi increases GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) level in brain. GABA is an amino acid / brain chemical or neurotransmitter that sends signals from nerve cell to a specific target cell. Low level of this chemical or GABA deficiency causes stress, mood disorders, depression, insomnia, hypertension and anxiety.
Brahmi and Shankhpushpi possess properties similar to nootropic agents. They are cooling in nature and reduces excessive heat inside body, stress, and anger.
Nimbu Satva / Citric acid is acidic and is often used to enhance the flavor of syrups.
Health Benefits of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- It nourishes brain.
- It improves concentration by steadying neuro-transmitters.
- It improves memory by increasing protein kinase activity.
- It improves learning, grasping power and retention of memory.
- It improves mental functions and mental quotient.
- It is a mood stabilizer.
- It reduces stress and distraction.
- It controls the hyper excitability of the nerves.
- It gives alertness and sharpness to mind.
- It gives relief in mental and physical fatigue.
- It reduces mild hypertension.
- It is useful in ADHD Attention deficit hyperactivity disorders.
- It is excellent herbal remedy for children with low intelligence or learning problems.
- It should be used as adjuvant to anticonvulsive and antiepilepsy therapy.
- It is time-tested and absolutely safe for everyone.
- It has no side effect.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Shankhpushpi Syrup
- As an adjuvant in epilepsy, convulsions, mental retardation and mild hypertension
- Anxiety, Stress, depression
- Autism, anger, schizophrenia, Phobias
- Brain tonic
- Concentration and learning problem
- Mental retardation
- Mild Hypertension, ADHD
- Mood disorders
- Sleeplessness / insomnia
- Speech difficulties
Dosage of Shankhpushpi Syrup
Adults can take Shankhpushpi Syrup in dose of 10 to 15 ml / 2-3 teaspoons and children can take 5-10 ml / 1-2 teaspoons twice a day with water or milk, or as directed by the physician.
It should be taken continuously for three or more months for good results.
Side effects / Caution
There are no known side effects in taking this syrup.
There is no drug interactions and it can be taken with other allopathy medicines.
As Shankhpushpi Syrup contains sugar, therefore it is not suitable for diabetics.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Shankha Pushpi), Dabur (Shankh Pushpi Syrup), Unjha (Shankhpushpi Syrup), Vyas Pharmaceuticals (Shankhpushpi Syrup), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.