Table of Contents
Piles(haemorrhoids) is very common disease in which the veins inside or outside the anus or lower rectum gets inflamed or swollen. In Indian Ayurvedic medicine system there are many herbal remedies which are able to treat piles if used with some life style changes. Elephant Foot Yam(Surana) is one of the Ayurvedic drug which is most common to treat Piles(haemorrhoids), cheap and convenient as it is very easily available in almost all vegetable market.
- English Name: Elephant foot
- Latin Name: Amorphophallus campanulatus (Roxb.) Blume.
- Family: Araceae
- Part Used: Corm or rhizome
Read more here Medicinal uses of Elephant Foot Yum (Jimikand)
Symptoms of Piles
The main symptom of piles is painless bleeding which is usually after and some times before defecation. Pain is not characteristic of haemorrhoids unless it is associated with infection, thrombosis.
Persistent and profuse bleeding can cause anaemia in patients.
Main causes of Piles
Main causes of piles are chronic constipation, strain during defecation, sedentary life, pregnancy, chronic liver disease and abnormal bowel habits due to long-term use of low-fibre, spicy and fat-rich diet.
What to do according to Ayurveda
Don’t: Avoid heavy foods, untimely meals and food items that cause constipation and indigestion.
Do: Eat fiber rich diet and drink adequate water. Old rice, barley, garlic, black pepper, lemon, gooseberry, and ginger and judicious use of medicinal beverages are beneficial in the patients with piles.
Uses Details Elephant Foot Yam To Treat Piles(haemorrhoids)
Indications and uses of Surana
Surana is useful in piles, liver disorders, abdominal pain and constipation.
- Clean and cut Elephant Foot Yam in small pieces.
- Dry them in sunlight
- Take 50 gm yam and dry it further so that it can be easily powdered
- Make fine powder using grinder
- Filter this powder using some 85 size mesh and remove coarse fibers and other particles.
- Store it in some tight jar.
How to use?
2 to 10 gm for adult and 1 to 5 gm for children. Give 2 times daily with water(swallowed).
Note: Raw Surana corm may cause itching in mouth and throat, for that use lemon juice or tamarind antidotes
Precautions should be taken
- Never strain during defecation.
- Eat soft and digestible diet which not causes constipation.
- Do not eat hot, spicy, fried, sour, pungent, fat-rich and heavy foods should be avoided during medication with Surana.
- The patient should take plenty of water, properly cooked green vegetables, fruits and milk in daily diet.
- Pregnant and Nursing mothers should not consume Surana.