Table of Contents
Ghrita in Ayurveda, is a medicine in which base to extract active ingredients from herbs is ghee. It is prepared by boiling ghee with decoctions and fine paste of the herbs till dehydration occur thus transferring fat soluble components of the ingredients to the ghrita.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Phala Ghrita
Brihat Phala Ghrita is a medicated preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below with Ghrita as the basic ingredient.
- Manjishtha Rubia cordifolia Rt. 12 g
- Kushtha Saussurea lappa Rt. 12 g
- Tagara Valeriana wallichii Rt. 12 g
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula P. 12 g
- Bibhitaka Terminalia bellirica P. 12 g
- Amalaki Phyllanthus emblica (Emblica officinalis) P. 12 g
- Sharkara Sugar 12 g
- Vacha Acorus calamus Rz. 12 g
- Haridra Curcuma longa Rz. 12 g
- Daru haridra Berberis aristata St. 12 g
- Madhuka (Yashti) Glycyrrhiza glabra Rt. 12 g
- Meda Asparagus racemosus (Official substitute) Rt.Tr. 12 g
- Dipyaka (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Fr. 12 g
- Katurohini (Katuka) Picrorhiza kurroa Rz./ Rt. 12 g
- Payasya (Kshira vidari) Ipomoea digitata Rt.Tr. 12 g
- Hing Ferula foetida Exd. 12 g
- Kakoli Withania somnifera (Official substitute) Rt. 12 g
- Vajigandha (Ashwagandha) Withania somnifera Rt. 12 g
- Shatavari Asparagus racemosus Rt.Tr. 12 g
- Ghrita (Goghrita) Clarified butter from cow’s milk 768 g
- Kshira (Godugdha) Cow’s milk 3.072 l
Method of preparation:
- Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Treat Ghrita to prepare Murchita Ghrita.
- Treat Hingu to prepare Shodhita Hingu.
Take the ingredients (kalka dravya) numbered 1 to 19 except Hingu and Sharkara, wash, dry, powder and pass through sieve number 85. Transfer the powdered ingredients to the wet grinder, add shodhita Hingu, grind with sufficient quantity of water to prepare a homogeneous blend (Kalka). Take Murchita Ghrita in a stainless steel vessel and heat mildly. Add increments of Kalka. Stir thoroughly while adding Godugdha. Heat for 3 h with constant stirring maintaining the temperature between 500 and 900 during the first hour of heating. Stop heating and allow to stand overnight. Start heating next day and observe the boiling mixture for subsidence of froth (phena Shanti) and constantly check the kalka for formation of varti (madhyama paka lakshana). Expose the varti to flame and confirm the absence of crackling sound indicating absence of moisture. Stop heating when the kalka forms a varti and the froth subsides. Filter while hot (about 800) through a muslin cloth and allow to cool. After complete cooling add powdered sugar, stir vigorously for dissolution.
Pack it in tightly closed glass containers to protect from light and moisture.
Low melting Ghrita, greenish yellow in color with pleasant odour and astringent taste.
Store in a cool place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
Benefits of Phala Ghrita
- It promotes fertility.
- Its intake by female, gives strength to uterus, prevents abortion, and cures infertility.
- Its intake by male, cures sperm disorders.
- It improves chances of conceiving.
- It cures lower back pain, weakness of uterus, and infertility in women.
- It increases the secretion of semen.
- It is a tonic.
- It is medicated ghee for reproductive health.
- It is endocrine stimulant.
- It is very nutritious.
- It cures internal dryness.
- It improves weight, luster, and digestion.
- It gives relief from constipation.
- It gives strength to brain, nerves, eyes, rectum and other body organs.
- It balance Pitta and Vata disorder.
- It nourishes gastrointestinal mucosa, lubricates it, enhances the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and strengthens the colonic flora of useful microbes.
- Yoni vikara (disorders of female genital tract)
- Vandhyatva (Infertility, sterility)
- Garbhini roga (diseases during pregnancy)
- Karshya (Emaciation)
- Uttara Vasti (Vaginal Douche)
- Menstrual disorder
- Lower abdominal pain, tenderness
- Weakness and female infertility
- Hyperemesis (severe or prolonged vomiting)
- Blocked fallopian tube (applied locally as an intrauterine insuffulation or uttaravasti by a specially designed vasti yantra in the dose of 3-5 ml day)
- Also useful in males for Shukra vikara (disorders of the Shukra dhathu), Oligospermia, Spermatorrhoea, Sexual weakness, Sterility.
A study was carried out to evaluate the role of Phala-ghrita snehapana in the treatment of female infertility. 36 female patients in reproductive age group who were unable to conceive after one year of regular unprotected coitus were registered, out of which five patients were drop out and 31 patients completed the study. The patients with an evidence of active infection or chronic diseases were excluded. Phala-ghrita was administered orally in the dose of 20 ml twice a day for 3 months continuously. The results of this study showed that 19.4% patients of this series conceived by the Phalaghrita snehapāna. No apparent complication was noticed during the study.
Uttara Vasti (Vaginal Douche): A study was carried out in a sample of 30 numbers of female infertility cases with the use of phalagritam in the form of intra uterine insuffulation. It was concluded that uttaravasti of phalaghrita is definitely an effective one in the treatment of infertility. 3 patients had blockage on both the tubes and 6 had unilateral blockage. After treatment of one cycle 8.33% of patients were reported with conception and after the treatment of 3rd cycle 50% of cases were reported with patient fallopian tube. Out of the total cases of blacked fallopian tubes 6 patients became pregnant.
Dose of Phala Ghrita
1 – 2 Teaspoon or 6-12 grams, empty stomach with hot milk twice a day.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
Ghrita should not be taken in many conditions including:
- Digestive weakness, impaired digestion
- Weakness of liver
- Suffering from Whitish and foul smelling stool
- Chronic fever
- People suffering from obesity, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetics, high cholesterol should use this medicine with precaution.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Rasashram (Phala Ghrita), Atrey (Phal Ghrit), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya Phal Ghrit), Nisarg (Phal Ghrita), Nagarguna (Phalasarpis/Phal Ghrita) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
- Clinical study on the role of Phala-Ghrita in the management of Female infertility. Shylaja Kumari R.
- Clinical trial of phalaghrita on female Infertility Dr. S.P. Otta, Dr., R.N. Tripaty.