Table of Contents
Marichyadi Vati is a herbal Ayurvedic medicine which is used for treating cold, cough, flu, and coryza. It is prepared from well-known medicinal ingredients such as black pepper, long pepper, pomegranate peel, jaggery, and Yava kshaar, which are very useful in reducing cough, phlegm and due to hot potency and expectorant action.
Marichyadi Vati helps in sore throat and coughing. It has anti-cough, anti-allergic, expectorant action and gives relief in congestion. It is also stimulant, diuretic and useful in treating digestion problems. It improves the secretion of digestive juices and improves metabolism.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Baidyanath
- Synonyms: Marichyadi Bati
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Kapha Roga
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Dosha Effect: Reduces cough
- Price: Baidyanath Marichyadi Bati 10gm @ Rs 53.00.
Ingredients of Marichyadi Vati
- Maricha Black Pepper Piper nigrum 1 part
- Pippali Piper longum 1 part
- Yavakshaar 6 part
- Dadim Pomegranate peel 2 part
- Gur Jaggery 8 part
Maricha (Marich) is known as Gol Mirch, Kali Mirch or Black Pepper. It is dried unripe seeds of the plant, Piper nigrum a perennial shrub. It is pungent (Katu) in taste, hot in potency and pungent after digestion (Katu Vipak). It mainly works on the digestive, circulatory and respiratory system. It is expectorant, carminative, antipyretic, anthelmintic and antiperiodic.
Black Pepper is useful in difficult breathing, chronic indigestion, obesity, sinus congestion, fever, intermittent fever, cold extremities, colic, cooking spice, cholera, gastric ailments, gas, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, worms, sore throat, and cough.
Piper nigrum is added to medicines for drug potentiation. It improves the bioavailability of phytochemicals.
Black Pepper should be taken cautiously in High Pitta and digestive inflammations.
Pippali is known as Pippali, Pipal, Long Pepper and Dried Catkins. It is fruits of a plant Piper longum. It is pungent (Katu) in taste, hot in potency and sweet (Madhur Vipak) after digestion. The main organs on which it works are digestive, reproductive and respiratory.
It has analgesic, anthelmintic, aphrodisiac, carminative and expectorant properties and is used in the treatment of digestive and respiratory ailments such as gas, bloating, distension, digestive weakness, excess phlegm, asthma, bronchitis, colds, coughs, and laryngitis. It is also used in rheumatic pain, gout, paralysis, etc. as it reduces Vata inside the body, gives relief in pain and digests Ama (toxic waste produced in the body to incomplete digestion).
Pippali increases Pitta inside the body. So, people of Pitta nature should use it cautiously. Moreover, the long term and excessive use of Pippali is contraindicated in Ayurveda.
Pippali and Maricha increase Agni (digestive fire) and destroys Ama in the body.
Yavakshara, Yavakshara, Shora, is alkali preparation of Yava or barley containing Potassium bicarbonate and useful in the treatment of abdominal diseases, urinary problems, Kapha vata vikar, amavata, poison, and various other diseases. Yavakshara is Katu (Pungent) Rasa in taste and Katu Vipak, Ushna Virya, Vata, Kaphaghna in action and treatment of the bladder pains and micturition problems. Due to hot potency, it reduces Kapha.
Dried pomegranate peel has strong astringent antioxidant, and germicides action.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire
- Jwarahara: Decreases vega of jwara and reduces the burning sensation.
- Kapha-Vata har: Remover of the Humor of Kapha-Vata.
- Kasahara: Removes cough.
- Pitta vardhak: Increases pitta.
- Shvasahara: Cures asthma.
- Swedana: Removes blockade and heaviness and coldness and causes perspiration.
- Anti-allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Anti-asthmatic: Treat or prevent asthma attacks.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Anti–cough: Reduces cough.
- Anti–inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antimicrobial: Active against microbes.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Decongestant: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
Benefits of Marichyadi Vati
- It has expectorant and heating action due to which it reduces cough and aids the mobilization of mucus.
- It has calming and dilating the lung’s airways, thus relieving chest congestion.
- It gives relief in throat irritation.
- It gives relief in respiratory distress.
- It improves appetite.
- It balances Vata and Kapha.
- It controls cough and shortness of breath.
- It has immunomodulatory effects and supports early recovery from respiratory illness.
- It increases Agni and clears phlegm and asthma.
- It helps in fever due to cough.
- It clears toxic Ama that can cause chest infections and fevers.
- It increases the appetite and is warming stimulant to the digestion.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Marichyadi Vati
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cold, cough, coryza
- Fever due to cough
- Hoarseness of voice
- Pain in the throat due to cough
The Dosage of Marichyadi Vati
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1 tablet.
- It should be taken three to five times a day.
- It should be chewed with honey.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
It is hot in potency. Therefore, people suffering from Pitta roga, hyperacidity, bleeding disorders, and ulcers should take it cautiously.
It has Emmenagogue action.
It should not be used during pregnancy.
It should be taken only in recommended doses. High doses cause a burning sensation and vitiation of all Dosha.
It contains Jaggery and hence it is not suitable for diabetics.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
No toxic effect or adverse reaction is reported with the recommended dose.