Table of Contents
Bilva tail is Ayurvedic herbal oil which is used to treat various ear problems such as pain in ear, constant ringing, buzzing or whistling in ear, loss of hearing etc. It is prepared using Bael or bilwa (Aegle marmelos). This oil has antimicrobial, antiseptic and astringent properties.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and the way to use.
- Manufacturer: Baidyanath
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Karnaroga Chikitsa
- Synonyms: Bilwa Tailam, Bilwa Tel
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Ear problems
- Suitable for: Everyone
- MRP/Price: Baidyanath Bilva Tail (25ml) @ INR 83.00
Ingredients of Bilva Taila
- Bilva Taila is prepared from three ingredients:
- Kaduva Taila Mustard Oil or Seasme Oil 3 kg
- Belgiri triturated with Gau Mutra 1 kg
- Goat’s Milk 6 kg
Unripe fruits of Bilva should be triturated with cow’s urine, and made to a paste. Oil should be cooked by adding this paste and goat’s milk.
Aegle marmelos Corr. (Rutaceae), commonly known as Bael, Bengal Quince is a tree of Indian origin, well known from pre- historic time. The fruit pulp contains reducing sugars, saponins, tannins and flavonoids (phenolic compounds). It inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria and reduces inflammation.
Mustard oil is hot and pungent in taste, small, sharp and heals wounds. It gives relief in pain and inflammation. Mustard oil is instilled in ear to remove dirt. It is also used in ear diseases such as pus discharge from the ear, swelling, infection, ear pain etc. due to its strongly antibacterial and anti-fungal action.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Bilva Taila
Use of this oil as ear drop helps in deafness (Badhirya / Bahrapan).
- Difficulty in hearing
- Ear discharge
- Ear infection
- Karna Puran
- Pain in ear
- Tinnitus (Karna nada)
What is Tinnitus: Tinnitus is abnormal noise perceived in one or both ears or in the head. The noise can be may be intermittent, constant or continuous. This sound has no external source. It can be experienced as a ringing, hissing, whistling, buzzing, humming, cricket-like or clicking sound and can vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal. It can also be a combination of sounds, and for many, the sound of their tinnitus actually changes.
There are many causes of tinnitus, and often the cause is unknown. Anything that can cause hearing loss can also cause tinnitus. It can be caused by damage to the auditory (hearing) system, Noise exposure (e.g. from shooting or machines at work), natural part of the aging process, jaw, head, or neck injury, exposure to certain drugs, nerve damage, or vascular (blood-flow) problems, high stress levels, the onset of a sinus infection or cold, autoimmune disorders (such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus), hormonal changes, diabetes, fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, allergies, depletion of cerebrospinal fluid, vitamin deficiency, exposure to lead, Hormonal changes in women, Thyroid abnormalities and excessive amounts of alcohol or caffeine.
Tinnitus may be accompanied with dizziness, head injury, sinus and middle-ear infections, meningitis (inflammation of the membranous covering of the brain and spinal cord), dizziness, migraine, hearing loss etc. It is almost always accompanied by hearing loss.
Tinnitus does not have a cure but treatments are available that help many people cope better with the condition. There is no pill or surgery that has been shown to eliminate tinnitus.
With relaxation, healthy foods and exercise ear diseases can be managed. In some people, tinnitus might be caused by some deficiency of some nutrient in the body.
Ear discharge: Any drainage/leakage of blood, pus, or fluid from the ear is called as ear discharge. It can be caused due to Injury to the ear canal or ear drum by self or due to any trauma, using foreign objects in ear canal, Injury to the brain and/or Head (skull fracture), Viral infection, throat infections, Swimming in dirty water, Travel by flight/ Diving, Faulty breast feeding techniques in baby, and Slap on the ear/ cheek.
How to use Bilva tail?
- This oil is to be used as ear drop.
- Put 2 drops in ear with help of a dropper or soak cotton piece in oil and put this cotton inside ear.
- This should be done twice a day.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- This oil is used for external use only.
- It has no known side-effects.
- This oil has no contraindication and drug interaction.
- Try to identify the things/triggers which worsen the sign and symptoms.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, to improve immunity against infections.
- Include natural diuretics in diet.
- Include Zinc containing foods in diet such as sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, whole grains etc.
- Drink adequate amounts of fluid daily (water, milk and low sugar fruit juices). Coffee, tea and soft drinks should not be counted as part of this intake.
- Squeeze one lemon in water and drink. This will help in tinnitus.
- Drinking Apple cider Vinegar diluted with water is also helpful.
- If suffering from ringing sound in ear, dizziness, vertigo frequently go for blood pressure check.
- Avoid foods high in sugar and/or salt, canned, frozen and processed foods.
- Avoid foods containing MSG (monosodium glutamate) and Chinese foods.
- Avoid foods high in Saturated fats to prevent hearing loss due to atherosclerosis.
- Take low sodium diet. Do not eat processed and fast foods. Don’t add salt to your food. High-salt diets may cause water retention and possibly relate to the buildup in the inner ear. Reducing salt intake will reduce that fluid retention and subsequent pressure build-up. This helps in reducing tinnitus.
- Caffeine make tinnitus louder.
- Do not take caffeine-containing fluids and foods like coffee, tea, caffeinated soft drinks, and chocolate.
- Avoid tobacco.
- Avoid cigarettes. The nicotine present in cigarettes constricts blood vessels and will decrease the blood supply to the inner ear, making symptoms worse.
- Do not drink alcohol. Alcohol can affect the inner ear directly, changing the volume and concentration of the inner ear fluid and increasing symptoms.
- Have regular diet, sleep and exercise.
- Go for a regular brisk walk of 30 minutes, three to five days each week. Exercise causes sweating and thus helps the body to get rid of salt.
- Manage stress by doing Pranayam.
- Avoid aspirin and medications that contain aspirin.
- Avoid scratching & poking with sharp objects in the ears. To be safe, never put anything in the ear which is smaller than the tip of your little finger.
- Do not neglect ear pain or any fluid discharge coming from ears.