Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Jirakadyarishta
- 2 Method of preparation of Jirakadyarishta
- 3 Ayurvedic Action of Jirakadyarishta
- 4 Biomedical Action of Jirakadyarishta
- 5 Benefits of Jirakadyarishta
- 6 Important Therapeutic Uses of Jirakadyarishta
- 7 The Dosage of Jirakadyarishta
- 8 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
Jirakadyarishta is an Ayurvedic medicine which is used to treat post-delivery disorders, diarrhea, and digestive system disorders. It promotes the strength of the body and mind, enkindles the digestive fire, cures insomnia, grief and improves digestion and assimilation.
Jirakadyarishta/Jirakadyarishtam/ Jeerakarishtam is a polyherbal formulation. The chief ingredient of this medicine is Jeera or Cumin seeds and it is prepared by the fermentation of a decoction of cumin seeds.
Cumin seeds are carminative/expels or prevent gas, anti-oxidant, anti-spasmodic/gives relief in spasm, astringent/constricts blood tissues and promotes healthy digestion and assimilation. They have antimicrobial, antidiabetic, antiepileptic, antifertility, anticancer and the immunomodulatory properties.
Cumin seeds are used in the treatment of mild digestive disorders, diarrhea, indigestion, low appetite, gas, flatulence, colic, dyspeptic headache and bloating. They are basically used for gastrointestinal, gynecological and respiratory disorders.
Jeerkadyarista is an Arishtha. Arishthas are prepared by coarsely (Yavakuta) powdering the formulated dried medicinal herbs and then preparing decoction (Kashaya). The decoction is strained and kept in the fermentation vessel. Sugar, jaggery or honey, according to the formula, is dissolved, boiled, filtered and added. Honey, is not dissolved or boiled. Drugs mentioned as Prakshepa Dravyas are finely powdered and added. In the end, Dhataki Pushpa, if included in the formula, should be properly cleaned and added. The mouth of the vessel is sealed. The container is kept either in a special room (Alternatively, in an underground cellar or in a heap of paddy, so as to ensure that for the duration of the fermentation, as far as possible, a constant temperature may impede or accelerate the fermentation).
After the specified period, the lid is removed, and the contents examined to ascertain whether the process of the fermentation (Sandhana) has been completed. The fluid is first decanted and then strained after two or three days. When the fine suspended particles settle down, it is strained again and bottled.
Fermentation process generates alcohol, which facilitates the extraction of the active principles contained in the drugs. The alcohol, so generated, also serves as a preservative.
Jirakadyarishta is used for intestinal and gynecological disorders. It is an Over-The-Counter OTC medicine. Here is given more about Jirakadyarishtam such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, method of preparation, description, and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Classical Medicine manufactured by many pharmacies.
- Nature of Product: Self-generated alcoholic preparation.
- Synonym: Jirakadyarishta, Jirakadyarishta, Jirakadyarishtam, Jeerakarishtam
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Ayurvedic Medicine
- Main Indication: Sutika Roga, Digestive problems
- Price: Baidyanath Jeerkadyarista 450 ml @ INR 183.
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Pittavardhak: Increases Pitta Dosha
Ingredients of Jirakadyarishta
- Jirakadyarishta is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation
- the composition is given below. it contains not more than 10 percent, and not less than 5 percent of alcohol
- that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Jiraka (shveta Jiraka) Cuminum cyminum Fr. 9.6 kg
- Jala for decoction Water 49.152 l reduced to 12.288 l
- Guda Jaggery 14.4 kg
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa Fl. 768 g
- shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 48 g
- Jatiphala Myristica fragrans Sd. 48 g
- Mustaka (Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rz. 48 g
- Tvak Cinnamomum zeylanicum St. Bk. 48 g
- Ela (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 48 g
- Patra (Tejapatra) Cinnamomum Tamala Lf. 48 g
- Nagakeshara Mesua ferrea Stmn. 48 g
- Yamanika (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Fr. 48 g
- Kakkola (Kankola) Piper cubeba Fr. 48 g
- Devapushpa (Lavanga) Syzygium aromaticum Fl. Bud 48 g
Method of preparation of Jirakadyarishta
Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality. Wash, dry and crush the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvaha Dravya) of the formulation composition. Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 5 to 14 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain a fine powder. Add the specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through a muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha. Add the ingredient number 3 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth. Transfer the filtrate to a clean container add Dhataki and other finely powdered Praksepa Dravyas. Seal the mouth of the container. Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of the fermentation process. Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth. Pack in airtight containers and allow for maturation.
Description: Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation with aromatic odor and bitter taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in a tightly closed amber colored bottle, protect from light and moisture.
Ayurvedic Action of Jirakadyarishta
- Deepan: Enkindles the digestive fire.
- Raktadoshahar: blood purifying
- Shothahar: Removes inflammation.
- Sthambhana: Stops the watery flow from the body in the form of vomiting, diarrhea.
Biomedical Action of Jirakadyarishta
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic: Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: helps in digestion of food.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
- Restorative Tonic: helps to restore health and strength
Benefits of Jirakadyarishta
- It is most effective in diseases after childbirth, diarrhea, and indigestion.
- It is a stimulant.
- It is stomachic and easily digestible.
- It is easy to assimilate.
- It works as a vehicle along with other medicines to improve bioavailability.
- It is added with spices that not only improve their taste but also their assimilation.
- It is particularly good for the treatment of Vata and Kapha problems.
- It is hot and penetrating.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Jirakadyarishta
- Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Atisara (diarrhea)
- Carminative (helps in relieving flatulence)
- Grahani (malabsorption syndrome)
- Improves digestive system
- Post-natal care
- Purpureal fever
- Sutikaroga (puerperal disease)
The Dosage of Jirakadyarishta
- It is Asava-Arishta type of medicine of Ayurveda.
- It is taken in a dose of 12 ml to 24 ml twice daily.
- It is taken after mixing with an equal amount of water.
- It can be taken after having breakfast and dinner.
- Or should be taken as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- Include fruits, milk, and other light and nutritious food items in the diet.
- Avoid eating spices, stale and heavy to digest food items.
- It is safe medicine without any known side-effect.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- This medicine should be given according to the strength of the patient, symptoms, and vitiation of Dosha.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy.
- It contains jaggery and dry grapes hence it is not suitable for a diabetic person.
- It contains about 5 to 10% of self-generated alcohol.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- Always take in recommended doses.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Though this medicine is considered safe, if you feel any side-effect or this medicine does not suit you, please discontinue.
- Always take in recommended doses. A higher dose may cause a burning sensation, gastric discomfort, and irritation.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.