Table of Contents
Netra Sudarshan Ark is herbal Ayurvedic eye drops prepared from the roots of Palash tree. It is an Ark. Arka is a liquid preparation obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using the Arkayantra or any convenient modern distillation apparatus.
Butea monosperma or Palash, belongs to the family Fabaceae and grows throughout India. Various parts of tree are used for medicinal purpose due to anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anticonvulsant, anti-conceptive, antimicrobial, antiviral, osteogenic, osteoprotective and hepatoprotective properties.
Roots are useful in filariasis, night blindness, helminthiasis, piles, ulcer and tumours. It is reported to possess antifertility, aphrodisiac and analgesic activities.
Butea monosperma roots contain glucose, glycine, glucosides and aromatic compounds. It distillate has ocular anti-inflammatory and intraocular pressure reducing activity. Intraocular pressure (IOP) is the fluid pressure inside the eye. High pressure inside the eye is caused by an imbalance in the production and drainage of fluid in the eye (aqueous humor) and it raises risk of glaucoma.
In one study, Butea monosperma extract was administered three times a day, up to day 30 days and the intraocular pressure was monitored on different days post-administration. Butea monosperma root caused reduction of elevated intraocular pressure.
Netra Sudarshan Ark is useful in Diabetic Retinopathy, cataract and other eye elements.
It is Diabetes complication that affects eyes. It’s caused by damage to the blood vessels of the light-sensitive tissue at the back of the eye (retina). At first, diabetic retinopathy may cause no symptoms or only mild vision problems.
Clouding or loss of transparency of the lens in the eye as a result of tissue breakdown and protein clumping. There are many causes of cataracts, including aging, cortisone medication, trauma, diabetes, and other diseases.
Treatment: Early cataract may be improved with new eyeglasses, anti-glare sunglasses, or magnifying lenses. Surgery is the only effective treatment. Surgery involves removing the cloudy lens and replacing it with an artificial lens.
Abnormal condition characterized by the inability to clearly distinguish different colors of the spectrum.
Treatment: Curing color blindness is currently impossible. 99% of color blind males and females are color blind as a result of defective genetics on the X chromosome. To cure this color blindness would require some form of gene therapy, repairing the damaged chromosome.
Condition of increased pressure within the eyeball, causing gradual loss of sight.
Treatment: Glaucoma can be treated with eye drops, pills, laser surgery, traditional surgery or a combination of these methods. The goal of any treatment is to prevent loss of vision, as vision loss from glaucoma is irreversible.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and how to use.
- Synonyms: Palashanjan, Netra Sudarshan Arq
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Main Indication: Eye diseases, Eyesight improvement
- Suitable for: Everyone as mentioned by manufacturer
Ingredients of Netra Sudarshan Ark
- Butea Monosperma Roots 1 Part
- Water 8 Parts
The Butea Monosperma Roots are cleaned and coarsely powdered. Some quantity of water is added to the roots for soaking and kept over-night. This makes the drugs soft and when boiled releases the essential volatile principles easily. The following morning it is poured into the Arkayantra and the remaining water is added and boiled. The vapour is condensed and collected in a receiver.
In the beginning, the vapour consists of only steam and may not contain the essential principles of the drugs. It should therefore be discarded. The last portion also may not contain therapeutically essential substance and should be discarded. The aliquots collected in between contain the active ingredients and may be mixed together to ensure uniformity of the Arka.
Biomedical Action of Netra Sudarshan Ark
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Antimicrobial: Active against microbes.
- Intraocular pressure reducing: Reduces fluid pressure inside eyes.
- Ophthalmic anti-inflammatory: Agents to be applied in the eyes, to reduce pain or to treat inflammation.
Benefits of Netra Sudarshan Ark
- It has cooling action.
- It gives relief in eye itching.
- It reduces swelling in the eye.
- It reduces fluid pressure inside eyes.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Netra Sudarshan Ark
- Computer vision syndrome
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Improving vision
- Mental fatigue
- Night blindness
- Vision loss
- Weak eyesight
- Other eye related diseases
How to Use Netra Sudarshan Ark
- Wash hands before using eyedrop.
- Shake the bottle.
- One drop can be used as a eyedrop for Children below the Age of 10 years.
- Two drops in each eye is recommended for children above the age of 10 and for Adult person.
- The drops should be used three times a day.
- Once the drops are instilled, close the eyes for five minutes.
- Continue the treatment for 2-3 months.
- Depending upon severity, 2 or 3 months or even more duration will be required.
- Few people may require six months’ continuous treatment.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is to be used as an eyedrop.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Do not immediately put your contact lenses.