Table of Contents
Ealdi Churna is a classical herbal Ayurvedic medicine. Eladi is the term used for Ela seeds and other herbal ingredients (Ela=Elaichi + Aadi=etc.). Churna means the fine powder of drug or drugs. For preparation of Churna or Powder, the drugs mentioned in the formulation are cleaned, dried properly and ground separately. They are sieved and mixed. The powder generally retains their potency for one year.
Ealdi Churna is the combination Ela seeds with other medicinal herbs and helps in the management of different kinds of vomiting. It is also used for treating common digestive and respiratory ailments.
The key ingredient in this medicine is Ela. Ela / Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), is known as lesser cardamom in English. It is cool in potency. Elettaria cardamomum seeds are aromatic and used for appetizing property in various food preparations. Medicinally, it has anti-emetic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-spasmodic, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, cooling, stimulant, carminative, digestive, stomachic, Tridoshahara, nutritive, laxative, expectorant and appetizing properties. The seeds are useful in asthma, bronchitis, throat disorders, piles, gas, vomiting, digestive disorders and cough.
Chewing of cardamom seeds helps in many common ailments of the digestive system. Cardamom seeds Powder is used alone in treatment of symptoms resulting from excess heat or acidity in the body system. When mixed with other ingredients it shows enhanced effects in treating vomiting, loss of appetite, indigestion, gastric irritation, nausea, burning sensation, thirst, giddiness, burning urination, bad smell from mouth etc.
The recommended dosage of Cardamom seed powder is 250 milligrams to 500 milligrams (about 3-4 pinches), for adults and 60-120 mg for children, two to three times a day with a little warm water or honey.
In market, you may find Eladi churna with different formulations. Here is given about different formulations and uses of Eladi Churna.
- Synonyms: Eladi Choorna, Eladi Choornam, Eladi Churna, Eladi Powder
- Manufacturer: Classical Medicine manufactured by many pharmacies.
- Reference Text: Different formulations of Eladi Churna are found in different Ayurvedic treatise.
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Vomiting, low appetite, excessive thirst
- Dosha Effect: Reduces Pitta and Kapha
- Properties: Anti-emetic, Carminative, Digestive, and Stomachic
- Vehicle: Honey or Mishri, Small amount of water. Do not drink too much water with medicine.
Different Compositions of Eladi Choorna
This formulation is given in Sahasrayogam Choorna Prakarana and also in AFI. It is used for Chardirogadhikara. Chardi is Ayurvedic term for vomiting, that can be caused due to excess vata/wind, pitta/bile, kapha/mucous etc.
- Ela Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 1 part
- Lavanga Syzygium aromaticum Fl. Bd. 1 part
- Gajakeshara (Nagakeshara) Mesua ferrea Stmn. 1 part
- Kola majja (Kola) Zizyphus jujuba Rp. Fr. Pp. 1 part
- Laja (shali) Oryza sativa Sd. 1 part
- Priyangu Callicarpa macrophylla Infl. 1 part
- Ghana ( Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rt. Tr. 1 part
- Chandana (shveta candana) Santalum album Ht. Wd. 1 part
- Pippali Piper longum 1 part
Method of preparation:
Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
Dry Kola majja in an oven at 500 for 24 h and powder immediately after drying and pass through sieve number 85. Wash, dry and powder all other cleaned ingredients (number 1 to 3 and 5 to 9) individually and pass through sieve number 85. Weigh separately each powdered ingredient, mix together in specified ratio and pass through sieve number 44 to obtain a homogeneous blend. Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Brown-coloured, smooth powder with characteristic odour of Elā, and a spicy, pungent taste. The powder completely pass on through sieve number 44 and not less than 50 per cent pass on through sieve number 85.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.
This formulation is useful in following conditions:
- Asthma, Dyspnea
- Balancing Vata-Pitta and Kapha
- Digestive System
- Nausea and Vomiting
It works effectively in vomiting caused due to vitiation of Vata-Pitta and Kapha.
- There is another formulation of Eladi Churna.
- Sthul Ela- Badi Ela Large cardamoms 1 part
- Tej patra Bay Leaf 1 part
- Lavang Cloves 1 part
- Khajoor Dates 2 parts
- Pippali 4 parts
- Draksha 4 parts
- Mulethi 4 parts
- Mishri 4 parts
All are powdered and mixed to get this Eladi Churna. This medicine, taken in proper measure, with honey, cures consumption or wasting disease.
This is another formulation of Eladi Churna – Sukshma-Eladi Churna.
The ingredients of the medicine called are Sukshma Ela (the seeds of Elettaria cardamomum), and Pippali (the roots of Piper longum). These are reduced to powder and mixed with ghee.
An excellent linctus is formed which the patient should lick. This linctus speedily alleviates chest-diseases born of excited phlegm, and all their supervening symptoms.
This is another formulation of Eladi Churna from Bharat Bhaishajya Ratnakar.
- Ela Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 24 gramss
- Nagkeshar Mesua Ferrea 24 grams
- Dalchini (Cinnamon) 24 grams
- Tejpatta Cinnamomum Tamala 24 grams
- Talispatra Abies Webbiana 24 grams
- Vanshlochan Bamboo Manna 24 grams
- Munakka Vitis Vinifera 24 grams
- Anaardaana 24 grams
- Dhania / Coriande) 24 grams
- Kala Jeera / Black Cumin 24 grams
- Safed Jeera / White Cumin) 24 grams
- Pippali Piper longum 12 grams
- Pippali Mula Piper longum roots 12 grams
- Chavya 12 grams
- Chitral Mula Plumbago Zeylanica 12 grams
- Shunthi Zingiber Officinale 12 grams
- Kali Mirch Black Pepper 12 grams
- Ajwain Trachyspermum Ammi 12 grams
- Tintidika Rhus Parviflora 12 grams
- Amal vet 12 grams
- Ajmoda 12 grams
- Ashwagandha Withania Somnifera 12 grams
- Kaunch Beej Giri 12 grams
- Mishri Sugar 192 grams
This formulation is indicated in diseases caused by vitiation of Vata and Kapha, Nausea and Vomiting, Pitta Janya Vikar, Excessive thirst, and Dryness of throat.
It shows beneficial effects in case of vomiting when even the water is not tolerated and gets vomited. It is especially beneficial in vomiting caused by vitiation of Pitta.
Eladi Choornam from South India based Ayurvedic Pharmacy such as Kairali Ayurvedic Group, has following composition. This is Eladi gana churna referenced from the Astangahradayam and used for skin disorders.
Each 10 gram is prepared from:
- Kshudra Ela Elettaria cardamomum Dr.Fr 0.369 g
- Brihat Ela Amomum subulatum Dr.Fr 0.369 g
- Turushka Liquidamber orientalis St. 0.369 g
- Kushta Saussurea lappa Rt. 0.369 g
- Phalini Callicarpa macrophylla Fl. 0.369 g
- Mamsi Nardostachys grandiflora Rt. 0.369 g
- Jala Coleus vettiveroides Rt. 0.369 g
- Dhyamaka Andropogon martinii Rt. 0.369 g
- Sprikka Delphinium zalil Rt. 0.369 g
- Choraka Cinnamomum verum Rt. 0.369 g
- Chocha Angelica glauca Rt. 0.369 g
- Patra Pogostemon cablin Lf. 0.369 g
- Tagara Valeriana wallichii Rt. 0.369 g
- Sthauneya Taxus baccata Lf. 0.369 g
- Jati Myristica Fragrans Fr. 0.369 g
- Rasa Commiphora myrrha Exd. 0.369 g
- Sukthi Dolichos lablab Sd. 0.369 g
- Vyaghranakha Martynia annua Pl. 0.369 g
- Amarahwa Cedrus deodera Ht. Wd. 0.369 g
- Aguru Aquilaria agallocha Ht. Wd. 0.369 g
- Srivasaka Pinus longifolia Ht. Wd. 0.369 g
- Chanda Costus speciosus Rt. 0.369 g
- Guggulu Commiphora mukul Exd. 0.369 g
- Devadhoopa Shorea robusta Exd. 0.369 g
- Khapura Boswellia sserrata Exd. 0.369 g
- Punnaga Calophyllum inophyllum Fr. 0.369 g
- Nagahwa Mesua ferrea Fl. 0.369 g
- Kumkumam Crocus sativus Stmn. 0.367 g
This combination is to be used in the treatment of skin diseases.
- It is indicated in skin diseases, itching, rashes, boil, insect bite and to improve skin complexion.
- This powder is applied externally on the lesions which affect the external surface of skin.
- Pruritus, rashes, contact eczema, scabies, chronic ulcers etc. are treated optimally with application of Eladi Choornam, if used according to the condition.
- It is also used for whole-body massage.
- Whole-body massage with Eladi Choornam helps in exfoliation of dead cells and gives refreshed look.
- It could be used along with water, milk, butter-milk or curd as per the condition.
- On regular use it removes specks, blemishes and pigmentation from the facial skin.
Dosage of Ealdi Churna
- Eladi churna is combination of spices and should be taken in low dosage.
- The recommended dosage of Ealdi Churna is 1-3 grams, twice a day.
- This medicine should be taken with honey or misri. Or take as directed by physician.
- You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Eladi Churna), Kairali Products (Eladi Choornam), Vaidyaratnam (Eladi Choornam ), AVP (Eladi Choornam ), Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala (Eladi Churnam), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- There are no known side effects of this medicine.
- Over-dosage may cause slight burning sensation in abdomen.
- It is better to avoid this medicine during pregnancy.
- Cardamom seeds can trigger gallstone colic and hence not recommended for self-medication in patients with gallstones.
- In case of vomiting, take small meals in liquid or semi-solid forms made of soft easily digestible materials.
- Overeating, irregular eating and heavy, fiber-rich and spicy foods should be avoided.
- Strenuous work, anxiety and stress should be avoided for successful management of vomiting.
- Adequate bed rest and sleep at proper time help a lot to enhance the effect of medication.
- Medical advice should be sought if vomiting is drastic and is not controlled.