Table of Contents
Bilva valeha is ayurvedic medicine for treating diarrhea. It contains baelphal or Bilva fruit which is well known for treating chronic diarrhea and dysentery. It is astringent and help to cure watery stools and constipation.
- Baelphal (Aegle marmelos)
- Avaleha (sugar based) q.s.
Leaves contain an alkaloid rutacin which is hypoglycaemic and is useful in treating high blood pressure and diabetes. Leaves and fruits are useful in controlling diarrhoea and dysentery. Bael fruit has cooling effect and causes constipation.
Pharmacological Action of Baelphal
- Unripe fruit: Astringent, stomachic, appetizer, digestive stimulant.
- Ripe fruit: Laxative, sweet and nutritive properties than the unripe fruit, astringent, haemostatic.
- Root: Anti-inflammatory, febrifuge, bitter tonic, nervine, cardiac tonic. Root of Bael is one of the key ingredient of Dashmula in Ayurveda.
- Leaves: Liver stimulant, bitter tonic, hypoglycaemic, antimicrobial
- Seeds: Essential oil has antibacterial actions.
Unripe fruit of Bael is used to make this medicine.
- Diarrhea And Dysentery
This is very effective in dysentery with blood and mucus. It can be consumed by children also.
This medicine is used for chronic weak digestion, low appetite and poor absorption of nutrients as it improves digestion and small intestine function.
Dosage of Bilva Avaleha
1 tea spoon full three to four times a day.
There is no side effect of this medicine, but should not be consumed in excess as it can cause constipation.