Table of Contents
- 1 What is Rasayana?
- 2 What is Amla(Indian Gooseberry)?
- 3 Difference between Amalki and Amalki Rasayan
- 4 Ingredients of Amalki Rasayan
- 5 How to make Amalki Rasayan?
- 6 Ayurvedic Properties and Action
- 7 Biomedical Action
- 8 Health Benefits of Amalki Rasayan
- 9 Important Therapeutic Uses of Amalki Rasayan
- 10 The Dosage of Amalki Rasayan
Amalaki Rasayana is a classical Ayurvedic medicine prepared from Amalaki (Embelica officinalis). It is basically Amla powder processed in Amla juice for enhancing its therapeutic properties. Amalaki Rasayana strengthens each and every part of the body due to its rejuvenating property. This medicine is not only rejuvenating but curative also. It boosts immunity and balances Vata-Pitta and Kapha and hence gives relief in diseases caused due to vitiation of any of the humor. Amalki Rasayan imparts energy. As the name itself suggests it is a Rasayana drug of Ayurveda.
What is Rasayana?
In Ayurveda, herb/medicine which promotes longevity, retentive memory, health, vitality, is called Rasayana.
Rasayana are basically alterative tonics which prevent or remove the effects of age, increase the vigour and cure the diseases.
They are called Rasayana because of their beneficial effect on the ‘Rasas’ and other elements of the body. Intake of Rasayan, strengthens the metabolic system, improves the blood and consequently the whole body.
What is Amla(Indian Gooseberry)?
Amla/Anvla is one of the important Rasayana of Ayurveda. It tones the body, gives strength and virility and boosts immunity to prevent diseases. It has all taste except Lavana/Salty with dominant Kashaya/Astringent taste. Amla is cooling and stomachic. It has astringent action and is useful in bleeding disorders. Amla is very rich source of vitamin C.
It has antioxidant, anti–aging, anti–ulcer, antipyretic, antidiabetic, cholesterol lowering, cardiotonic, carminative, expectorant, laxative, tonic, fertility and immunity booster properties. Use of Amla, helps in collagen synthesis and protects against its degradation.
Here is given more about Amalki Rasayana medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Synonyms: Amalaki Rasayana, Amalki Rasayan, Amla Rasayan
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Tonic
- Suitable for: Everyone
- Dhatu (tissue): Saptadhatu Poshak
- Srotas / Channel: Circulation, digestion and elimination
- Dosha Effect: Tridoshghna
Difference between Amalki and Amalki Rasayan
Amalki Powder and Amalki Rasayan are not same. Amalki powder stands for the dried and ground powder of Amla fruits. But in Amalki Rasayan the Amla powder is processed in fresh Amla juice.
The Amla powder is triturated with fresh Amalaki juice for 8 hours daily for 7 days. It is then sun-dried and powdered. The processing helps to increase the therapeutic efficacy, rejuvenating property, potency and absorbability of medicine.
Study shows daily intake of Amalki Rasayan 2 grams three times a day, for 45 days taken with honey and cow’s ghee in unequal proportion gives highly significant relief in Panduta (pallor), Daurbalya (weakness), Shirahshoola (headache), Shrama (fatigue), and Gaurava (heaviness in the body) while statistically significant improvement was found in Aruchi (anorexia) and Pindikodweshtan (leg cramps).
Ingredients of Amalki Rasayan
- Amla Powder (Embelica officinalis Syn. Phyllanthus Embelica)
- Amla Juice
How to make Amalki Rasayan?
Here is steps to make Amalaki Rasayan
- First fully ripe good quality Phyllanthus embelica fruits are taken.
- They are put in a tinned sieve or Chhalni and placed on the mouth of a vessel containing boiling milk to boil the Amla in steam.
- Once boiled the stone is removed from each boiled Amla and the pulp is dried in the shade.
- The dried pulp is powdered.
- Now fresh Amla are taken and juice is extracted. Thus prepared Amla juice will be used to process (give Bhavana) above prepared Amla powder.
- The Amla powder is treated with Amla juice in a stone mortar and pestle. The process is continued until the whole of the juice is absorbed in the powder.
- Again fresh Amla juice is taken and another Bhawna is given in same way.
- Thus after 7-21 Bhavana Amalki Rasayan is prepared.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Amalki Rasayan is Astringent, Sweet, Pungent, Bitter and Sour. It is Madhur Vipaak and Cool in potency. It is light and dry in qualities. Amla increases Ojas and works on all body tissues. It improves circulation, digestion and elimination.
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Amla (Sour)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
It is Sheet or Cool in potency. Sheet Virya herb gives nourishment to the body and steadiness and supports building of the body fluids.
Amla is Madhur Vipak (digests into sweet) and has building, moistening and a nourishing effect on the body. It is light to digest. It is a cooling and reduce swelling, decreases excessive Pitta (hyperacidity or Amlapitta) and have Anabolic effect on the body.
Amalki reduces Vata due to sour taste, Pitta by its sweet taste and cold potency. It balances Kapha by its astringent taste and dry nature.
- Anuloma: Corrects the flow of Vata
- Chakshushya: Good for the eyes, improves eyesight
- Hridaya: Heart Tonic
- Jivaniya: Life-giving and rejuvenative
- Jwara-hara: Gives relief in the fever
- Kaphahara: Gives relief in cough
- Keshya: Hair tonic
- Kusthaghna: Cures all skin diseases
- Medhya: Tonic to the mind
- Prajaasthapana: Treats infertility
- Raktapittahara: Cures bleeding diseases
- Raktashodhana: Purifies the blood
- Raktavardhaka: Nourishes rakta dhatu
- Rasayana: Rejuvenative tonic
- Shukrala: Increase semen and/or give force to its ejaculation
- Shvasahara: Cure difficult breathing or Asthma
- Tridoshaghna: Reduces Vata-Pitta-Kapha. Mainly Pitta and Vata are reduced but due to cool potency Kapha increases little bit.
- Triptighna: Thirst-quenching
- Vajikarak: Aphrodisiac
- Vayasthapana: Prevent the effects of age, Maintains youth
- Virechak: Laxative
- Vrishya: Increases sexual potency
- Adaptogen: Help the body adapt to stress.
- Antacid: Preventing or correcting acidity, especially in the stomach
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Antiulcer: Tending to prevent or heal ulcers.
- Aphrodisiac: Stimulates sexual desire.
- Astringents: Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Cardio tonic: Tonic for the heart.
- Digestive: Promotes the digestion of food
- Hemostatic: Checking blood flow.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
- Ophthalmic: Good for the eyes.
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Health Benefits of Amalki Rasayan
Amalaki Rasayan is a restorative tonic, antioxidant, rich in vitamin C and improves body immunity to fight against infections. In Ayurveda Rasayana are medicines which help to rejuvenates the body, prevent aging and gives longevity.
- It is good for hairs, eyes and brain.
- It keeps hair black and stops hair fall.
- It is good for digestive system.
- It increase the digestive capacity.
- It reduces excessive Pitta and thus give relief in hyperacidity.
- It has anti-ulcer properties.
- It gives relief in constipation due to its laxative properties.
- It is cooling in nature and gives relief in peptic ulcer and burning sensation in the body.
- It strengthens and tones up the system.
- It improves body immunity to fight diseases.
- It prevents recurrent infections.
- It is a rich source of vitamin C and fiber.
- It detoxifies body.
- It gives strength to heart, brain, stomach and other bodily organs and cures weakness caused by excessive and premature loss of the semen.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Amalki Rasayan
Amalki Rasayan is a tonic. It improves digestion and immunity. It reduces acidity and gives relief in constipation. It shows beneficial effects in variety of diseases.
- Detoxify Liver
- Hyperacidity / Amlapitta
- Inflammatory and Bleeding Conditions of the Intestines
- Ulcers, Peptic Ulcer
- Healing arterial damage
- Prameha (urinary disorders)
- Diseases of eyes
- Eyesight weakness
- Cough, cold
- Recurrent respiratory ailments
Also effective in
- As a tonic after disease
- Bleeding disorders /Raktapitta
- Bleeding gums
- Burning sensation in the body
- General weakness, fatigue
- Poor immunity
- Prameha (urinary disorders)
- Premature hair greying, hair fall
- Vata Vyadhi, pain in joints
- Vitamin C deficiency
The Dosage of Amalki Rasayan
Mix 1 to 2 teaspoonful (5 to 10 gm) of Amalki Rasayan in equal amount of Mishri or honey and cow’s ghee in unequal proportion in the morning and evening with water or take as directed by a physician.
The exact doseof depends on health, digestion, condition and constitution.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- This has almost no side effects.
- Take cautiously high phlegm and Ama Dosha.
- Do not take in large doses in diarrhea, loose motion and dysentery.
- There is no known drug-herb interaction.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factor. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
Pharmacies Making Amalki Rasayan
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Amalki Rasayan Price: 120 grams @ Rs. 92.00
- Patanjali Divya Pharmacy Amalki Rasayan Price: 100 grams @ 65.00
- Vyas Amalki Rasayan
- Gopala Ayurveda Amalaki Rasayana
- Gurukul Ayurveda Amalki Rasayan and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.